Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2018 6:38:36 PM EDT
I'm wanting to put a side folder on my m92, but a local shop said they cant because the cut out for the  latch in the front of the receiver will be right where the serial number is. How can I go about getting it moved? I've reached out to the atf and havent heard back yet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Removing the serial number from a firearm is a federal felony. Unless you have a letter from the ATFE’s Technical Branch, authorizing you to remove, for the purpose of refinishing, repair, or customization, and then re-apply the serial number, then the act of removing or obscuring to serial number is a felony worth more prison time than being in possession of a stolen firearm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Putting a side folder on it as in you filed a form 1 to make it an SBR?  If so, when you did that, you became the manufacturer.  As manufacturer, you can put the serial number wherever you want.

Well, thats my opinion anyways.  But I'm no lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a newer one? The serial number was moved at the factory to the front on the ones made in the last few years so they could be converted. If you serch for it you can find pictures online of the difference. Mine had no issues and was made in 2015.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Putting a side folder on it as in you filed a form 1 to make it an SBR?  If so, when you did that, you became the manufacturer.  As manufacturer, you can put the serial number wherever you want.

Well, thats my opinion anyways.  But I'm no lawyer.
View Quote
Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. When you SBR you are the maker, not manufacturer, which are two different definitions to the ATF.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it a newer one? The serial number was moved at the factory to the front on the ones made in the last few years so they could be converted. If you serch for it you can find pictures online of the difference. Mine had no issues and was made in 2015.
View Quote
I want to say I bought mine in 2013, maybe 14. Mine is up front, where the damn latch needs to go
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I want to say I bought mine in 2013, maybe 14. Mine is up front, where the damn latch needs to go
View Quote
You need to find a new shop. when I did my rear conversion, I followed the rear conversion thread on akfiles by Islandfocus. I did not have to cut into my serial number at all, here's a pic of my front latch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is the in the same spot at Sag's, I also had no issues.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm wanting to put a side folder on my m92, but a local shop said they cant because the cut out for the  latch in the front of the receiver will be right where the serial number is. How can I go about getting it moved? I've reached out to the atf and havent heard back yet.
View Quote
I think the local shop doesn't have confidence in themselves and won't say it.

J.H.C.

Not everyone with a machine is a machinist.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I fixed a botched one on a Yugo from a shop that I think may have went out of business, but he was the king of AK100 retrofits Unless something has changed, serial number position is a non-issue. They are likely scared or incompetent, and you should be scared too, send it somewhere else. I have seen what it looks like when people screw them up on Yugos because of the rivet pattern outsmarting them, not good and lots of detail welding to make it right.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top