Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/20/2020 5:18:51 PM EDT
Received this kit today. Bolt, barrel, and front trunnion all match, but the kit was first built by Vulcan Arms before being cut up. The Vulcan receiver is warped, and to try and fix that, they bent the handguard and ground down on the barrel to widen the handguard retainer. Rear trunnion is also missing the internals that lock up the folder, and the hinge is extremely stiff.

So I was thinking, why not modernize the design a bit while still keeping the spirit of the rifle?

The folding stock, while compact, isn't very comfortable and doesn't lend to a very good sight picture. I'm thinking instead of going with a fixed stock flat and a Polish folding stock, or a side folding flat and a 4.5/5.5mm folding stock. The first option gives me a more compact package but worse sight picture, while the second option adds bulk but creates a much more stable sight picture.

For the front of the rifle I want to keep the gas block and front sight as is, but will be going with a modern and lighter weight handguard. The trick will be adapting that handguard for the ak pistol grip. My dilemma here is what to do about removing the welded-on brake. I can either Form 1 the receiver and make it an SBR, or I can Form 1 a cheap diy suppressor and weld it in place of the brake. To me the benefit of welding on a suppressor is not having to worry about filing a 5320.20 when traveling, but making it an SBR gives me a nice compact package for travel... really can't decide.

Finally, the rear sight. I spent a good number of hours researching installing a Krinkov hinge base and rear cover, but not only would this be costly, it would also involve reworking the gas tube and possibly other changes to the rifle. Maybe I'm making it more complicated in my head then it really is, so let me know if I am. Instead, I'm thinking of going with a Sabrewerks rear sight base and maybe a Tech Sights rear sight/receiver cover combo. Not quite as slick as a Krink, but functional.

Thoughts?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a Mak 90 kit I also ordered. The kit is missing the bolt and the serial number has been removed from the front trunnion. If I can track down a folding clubfoot stock or even a Circle 10 aluminium clubfoot stock I may turn this into a mini RPK.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
@islandtimes I can't help with your original question, but I like the looks of that MAK 90 kit. where did you order it from?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I got it from everygunpart.com. It's random what they have, so I check back every now and then. Most of their normal prices aren't good, but you can catch an occasional sale that makes the prices bearable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got it from everygunpart.com. It's random what they have, so I check back every now and then. Most of their normal prices aren't good, but you can catch an occasional sale that makes the prices bearable.
View Quote

thanks, I'm willing to pay extra for a kit that's not beat to hell. Planning on doing a few AK builds later this year.

edit: maybe not that much... yeesh those are steep prices
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That place those kits comes from looks like they chop up police evidence guns and sell them as kits. Single random guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Modernizing an ak without making it a hog is a task and a half, sbr would probably be best.
As far as sights go my preference would be keep the stock sights and put a side rail on the new receiver for an optic/red dot or get one of those railed top covers with for an optic and throw a peep on the rear for a longer sight radius.

Best of luck on your build, i'm collecting parts for 5.56 Frankenstein myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Decided on and received today a JMac modular rear trunnion. I have the option of going with an AR tube adapter or picatinny adapter, and am going with the picatinny adapter right now. I think I'm going to build the AMD65 kit as a pistol first and then decide what way I'm going to go later on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I pushed the barrel out of the trunnion and found this disaster... Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought an AMD65 kit as well my plan is to use Sabreworks KOP rear sight assembly and 4 piece Bulgarian flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought an AMD65 kit as well my plan is to use Sabreworks KOP rear sight assembly and 4 piece Bulgarian flash hider.
View Quote

My Sabreworks KOP rear sight came in and it's very nice!

Unfortunately I ordered the KOP before I knew my barrel was trashed and am no longer going to continue this build concept. Instead I'll repurpose the front trunnion, bolt carrier, and gas tube for a 6.5G build with a fixed stock, AR magwell adapter, and TWS top rail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul ar15 rails fit the handgaurd. Use a small washer on front bolt to compensate fir the slight angle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Somewhere there is a post about clean drilling it and rewelding but honestly I wouldn't stress about it.  I bought a kit off the EE here with the same issue and after cleaning them up and welding them I figured it was worthless to even weld it because after I thought about it the spot isn't supported at all.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Well, over a year later and I finally finished the Mak90 parts kit. I used that JMAC rear trunnion and a Galil parts kit I bought from Apex and "kit bashed" it into this. It was difficult. I see now why most people stay faithful to their parts kit origins.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Still needs refinishing, she's ugly!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Good ol Vulcan/Hesse strikes again.

I had one of their 74's years ago that was so fucked up I cut it up and sold it for parts. To top it off it was welded instead of riveted,
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top