BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2020 7:59:51 PM EDT
I scored a sweet deal on a mini last week and I anticipate picking it up tomorrow. I plan to change out a few things and also add a brace. The parts have already been ordered.

Photos coming very soon, hopefully a range report as well.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Here it is in all its simplified glory. The little blaster came completely soaked in oil. After a quick inspection I disassembled it noting that all parts match the SN. This is a 2020 build. The top cover has a tight solid fit and the front sight is mounted at true vertical to bore. Racking is effortless and smooth without snag. Trigger pull has a little crawl but it breaks nicely.

The exterior finish was coated very evenly in a dark black, including the inner chassis and all internal components. Overall I’m pretty impressed.  

I took the factory black grip and wood hand guard off and replaced them with a nice bakelite grip and a plastic upper/lower hand guard set I had in my parts bins. The upper HD is heavily modified as i made it to wrap around the FSB. I’ll make a mounting retainer for it over the weekend.  The lower HD extends a little too far, I think, so I might chop it down a little. I think it looks good.

I like the look of the (10)~40. The mag is built like a tank.

I’ve got a few more goodies on the way so stay tuned as the madness continues.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
you're going to shoot your finger off
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the “goodies on the way” is a SLR hand stop.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Peeps, what’s the go-to side rail mount for the Draco?? I’m mounting a RS Regulate set up.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That can definitely happen. Spoiler may be a bit graphic.

Click To View Spoiler

Quoted:
Peeps, what’s the go-to side rail mount for the Draco?? I’m mounting a RS Regulate set up.

Thanks.
View Quote

This interests me as well. I want to add the rail to my Draco.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it! I did the same on a micro except no upper hg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Could install a Master Mount on the Mini Draco.  Just have to take thr trigger and hammer pins out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Could install a Master Mount on the Mini Draco.  Just have to take thr trigger and hammer pins out.
View Quote

Thank you. That’s exactly what I needed. Order placed!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, you guys have some very nice looking Dracos!  I don’t think I’ll build another AR for a while ;)
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The Master Mount should work well for you as well as anything from RS Regulate.  Mine is a Micro Draco but same things worked on mine although the stock folds right otherwise it would get hung up on the optic mount.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I put an Attero Arms mount on mine.  I really like it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Master Mount should work well for you as well as anything from RS Regulate.  Mine is a Micro Draco but same things worked on mine although the stock folds right otherwise it would get hung up on the optic mount.

https://i.imgur.com/rYGuss5.jpg
View Quote

Very nice. That's the mount I ordered today except the top mount is for a Sig Romeo5.  You know I just realized that I've completely depleted my Hoes and Blow funds for the rest of the year.  :)
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234113/IMG_20200220_204931_01_jpg-1429643.JPG
View Quote

I like it.  I'm really hoping my warrior brace comes in July.  It was ordered almost two weeks ago. About your optic mount, does it attach to the rear sight base?  I dig how low it sits.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like it! I did the same on a micro except no upper hg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44791/IMG_20200213_233252_jpg-1429161.JPG
View Quote

Great work!

I gotta be honest. It was your work that inspired me to do the same thing with the HD. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like it.  I'm really hoping my warrior brace comes in July.  It was ordered almost two weeks ago. About your optic mount, does it attach to the rear sight base?  I dig how low it sits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234113/IMG_20200220_204931_01_jpg-1429643.JPG

Yes, it replaces the rear sight, but it includes a built in iron sight so you don't lose that.  You get a lower 1/3 cowitness.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, it replaces the rear sight, but it includes a built in iron sight so you don't lose that.  You get a lower 1/3 cowitness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a very nice mount. Diminutive in size and weight and it appears to produce a solid return-to-zero mount. WHEN I buy my next Draco I’ll look for one fo-sho!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the way to go, I have the same on mine with an Aimpoint micro.  I also want to chop the front sight hood for a little better sight picture.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the way to go, I have the same on mine with an Aimpoint micro.  I also want to chop the front sight hood for a little better sight picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally, the price factor also makes it very desirable. I’ve also been contemplating cutting the Hood at the 10/2 o’clock mark. Still on the fence, though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
So my Sunday morning was spent at the bench trimming the LHG and making a cover for the UHG. The cover will be used IF I decide to mount a light as it will provide a firm surface for the rail. A big drawback with mounting the light is that it increases HG girth significantly. I’m not sold on it yet.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Parts are starting to deliver..

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#21]
You gotta ditch that 40rd mag, makes the gun look silly.  Needs a 20rd or 30rd.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You gotta ditch that 40rd mag, makes the gun look silly.  Needs a 20rd or 30rd.
View Quote

Noted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, seems like you have some workbench skills.  If you end up chopping your front sight hood, might be worth doing a video of it and posting it on YouTube.  Amazingly, when I searched for a best practices/how-to video... couldn't find one at all.  At the very least, you could post it here for reference.  Couldn't find one though I feel like I saw one years ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, seems like you have some workbench skills.  If you end up chopping your front sight hood, might be worth doing a video of it and posting it on YouTube.  Amazingly, when I searched for a best practices/how-to video... couldn't find one at all.  At the very least, you could post it here for reference.  Couldn't find one though I feel like I saw one years ago.
View Quote

Thank you. I'll definitely consider that.  If I get unbearable FOV obstruction I'll move forward with the mod.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]
A few more parts came in including the Master Mount which was extremely easy to install. The RS top mount should deliver Monday. Still no tracking # for the brace from Bonesteel but I understand another batch is expected to ship next week.  The SLR hand stop hasn’t shipped, yet.

I chopped, fitted and sanded an old spare WASR hand guard I found in the garage and put a nice stain on it.

Here’s where I’m at today..:

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#26]
The RS Regulate top mount delivered today. This mount is incredibly made. Still waiting for the SLR hand stop and the Bonesteel Arms brace. ..
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]
@Los Very good work. I have a mini Draco and have been on the fence on what to do with the handguard. How did you attach the upper and lower handguard to your mini? Pics would be great. Also keep the 40 "Mo is betta"
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Los Very good work. I have a mini Draco and have been on the fence on what to do with the handguard. How did you attach the upper and lower handguard to your mini? Pics would be great. Also keep the 40 "Mo is betta"
View Quote

I had to make a [kydex] retainer and attach it to the inside of the LH. I used JB Weld for that. The retainer extends into the UH. The UH hand guard is attached/secured to the LH with a small screw. I'll post photos later this evening.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
So because the Bonesteel Arms brace that I ordered last month hasn’t shipped yet I became impatient and ordered a SB Tactical triangle brace which were in stock at Atlantic Arms. This is the brace that PSA offers on their AK 9mm models. It’s actually a pretty sweet looking brace. I just purchased it a few days ago and Its already scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I’m pretty exited.

The brace mounts to the Draco with a small 1913 rail adapter that has to attach onto the rear trunnion but These adapters are completely out of stock so I’m going to fabricate one. Seems like a simple project to undertake and I’ve got the parts to get’r done.  

A small issue with the triangle brace is that it folds to the left so I’m probably going to ditch the RS Regulate system and go with a Attero Arms [rear sight] mount (ala alemonkey’s set up) and different optics.

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the wood handguards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like the wood handguards.
View Quote

Thanks. They came out pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The brace was delivered this afternoon and I gotta say, i like it very much.

I still have to fab the 1913 rear rail and drill the rear trunnion in order to connect the brace.   I'll work on it on Sunday and post pics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Here are the components I used to make the rear 1913 rail adapter needed to mount the brace. The rail was cut to length and the piece of kydex was cut and trimmed to completely cover and overlap the trunnion on each side. I then formed the overlap to flap down [tab]on the edge of the trunnion creating a tight fit.  The tabs will help prevent the rail adapter from inadvertently rotating once it’s mounted/screwed on the trunnion, keeping the brace vertical and centered to bore.

Both pieces were attached using jb weld. I’ll give it a few days to cure before I use it to mark where I’ll have to drill the trunnion for the final stage of securing the 1913 rail adapter with a bolt and nut.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I installed the rear 1913 rail adapter this past Sunday and all went well except that I didn't expect the rear trunnion to be so thick so it took a bit longer to drill than first anticipated.  The brace connected easily and firmly to the rail adapter but I didn't like how the exposed connection looked so I made a cover that snaps over the connection to produce a nice aesthetic flow. While I was at it I also made a small cheek rest just for the hell of it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#36]
The Aeroknox Hook Stops came in today. I’d bought 2 but think I’m only keeping one.

I’m hoping to make it to the range on Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You have done a nice job with customizing your Mini Draco AK47 pistol . The handgurad set up looks killer .
View Quote

Thank you. The SB Tactical triangle brace was purchased from Atlantic Firearms. Thank You for the exceptional customer service and fast shipping!
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve decided to sell my trusty old WASR but I’m keeping the Russian PK-01VS red dot that was mounted to it.  Just for grins I mounted it on the Mini Draco and I gotta say I really like the feel. It sits lower than the RS/Romeo5 combo and it has a much larger FOV. The optic, which has an integrated mount, is built like a tank so it’s definitely a beefier set-up.  The added weight on the Mini is noticeable, but it has a nice balance feel to it.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Winner winner chicken dinner..!

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I never really wanted a mini Draco, but yours looks really cool, great work!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Romanian milled stock.

IMG_2375 by HD Rider, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#43]
That is cool af..!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks good. Needs a can to finish it off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Now it needs a wood grip..

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#46]
A few pics with it's big brother..

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A few more parts came in including the Master Mount which was extremely easy to install. The RS top mount should deliver Monday. Still no tracking # for the brace from Bonesteel but I understand another batch is expected to ship next week.  The SLR hand stop hasn’t shipped, yet.

I chopped, fitted and sanded an old spare WASR hand guard I found in the garage and put a nice stain on it.

Here’s where I’m at today..:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/WASR/1782A584-600E-41F1-9EE6-C11B081B0D6D_zps9fknbofc.jpg
View Quote

That looks GOOD.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Any pics or vid on how to mod the upper and lower handguard? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That is sweet !
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#50]
a donkey dong would look nice
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top