Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2021 3:31:46 PM EDT
Guys, I ran through the new "worksheet" and believe the solution to the BATFE (arbitrary) rule-set can be worked around for the AKS-74U pattern pistols with the following configuration. If any of you fellas think I've missed something, please let me know!

Any advice would be helpful. My goal is to remain within the legal limits.

My understanding:
Section II:
-The brace I am now using is the magpul BTR. The BTR has a sling point at the end and is not "based on a known shoulder stock design" and "Device incorporates features to prevent use as a shouldering". (0 points)
-The Manticore Arms 4.5mm telescoping adapter would be considered an "adjustable or telescoping attachment". (2 points)
-Because the brace extension folds, I believe it counts as (1 point)
Total Section II: 3 points (under 4 points required to pass).
Section III:
-LOP is 11.81": (2 points)
-"Adjustable Rifle Buffer Tube": (1 point)
-Under 120OZ: (0 points)
-I am using notch (pistol) sights in this configuration, not "flip up" sights
Total Section III: 3 points (under 4 points required to pass).

Pics: Removed after research phase completed.

JUNE 11 EDIT: After several days of research, I determined there is no way to get the requisite LOP and OAL necessary to meet the BATF's arbitrary requirements. The OAL I could come to for the AKS-74U was 26.7". The LOP was impossible to reach and pass the worksheet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
1.) Throw worksheet in trash.
2.) Drill holes to reduce weight.
3.) Enjoy life trying to find enough ammo to feed it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

1: I follow the law.
2: No.
3: I have been at this a while, and have ammunition. Ammunition is not the point of this thread. Thank you for your comment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I follow the constitution.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get it man. Maybe start your own thread in general discussion about it. This thread is looking for advice from members dealing with the arbitrary rule-set the BATF just put out. I respect your opinion, but I am looking for advice on the build above. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
4 points per section or 4 total?

Constructive intent identified.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
4 points per section or 4 total?

Constructive intent identified.
View Quote

4 points each section (as I read it).

I am not attempting to construct a rifle, or short barreled rifle. I am attempting to make the build above legal pursuant to the BATF's new proposed rule set. Did I mess up somewhere?

(Thanks in advance).
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
It's 4 points per section.

ATF may consider the magpul stock to be based on a known shoulder stock design (CTR/MOE) which would add 2 more points to section one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
This is why we cant have nice things.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is why we cant have nice things.
View Quote

Don't I know it. I respect all of you that are willing to step outside the law on principle, but this thread is about meeting the requirements of the BATFE's arbitrary worksheet. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ATF may consider the magpul stock to be based on a known shoulder stock design (CTR/MOE) which would add 2 more points to section one.
View Quote

The whole point to the bingo card is that if it remotely looks like an ar/ak/weapon of mass destruction, you're boned.

The wanna be ctr stock but defined as a brace falls under the "designed to be shouldered" unspoken rule.

OP, Jaqufrost had it right from the start and is one of the biggest dudes on this board that skirts that line each and every build. If you want to listen to anyone, it's him.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the only way it should look
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Don't I know it! My goal is to avoid a tax stamp and keep my unit as a pistol. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shoot. If that is the case, then I am boned and will need to remove the stock and put a stopper in the rear trunnion making the hinge inoperable. Thanks for the comment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shoot. If that is the case, then I am boned and will need to remove the stock and put a stopper in the rear trunnion making the hinge inoperable. Thanks for the comment.
View Quote

Was it factory built with an SBA3 brace?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Was it factory built with an SBA3 brace?
View Quote

Custom built. Originally, we went with the SBA3 brace because these new "rules" had not been written. I was (and continue) operating in good faith with the intention that I had a pistol built.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Custom built. Originally, we went with the SBA3 brace because these rules had not been written. I was (and continue) operating in good faith with the intention that I had a pistol built.
View Quote

IF all these pistols built with braces are actually rifles, removal of the brace doesn't change its status as a short barrel rifle.  US code is pretty clear that short barreled firearms built from weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder are SBR's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IF all these pistols built with braces are actually rifles, removal of the brace doesn't change its status as a short barrel rifle.  US code is pretty clear that short barreled firearms built from weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder are SBR's.
View Quote

This is a pistol. It was not built to be fired from the shoulder. Nor are any of the other pistols on the market my friend. Judging by the language in the proposed rules, the BATF understands this and is allowing people three options:
1: turn in their pistol/destroy their pistol
2: bring the pistol to a legal configuration
3: register the pistol under the NFA

I am hoping I can continue to own this unit in its pistol configuration.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is a pistol. It was not built to be fired from the shoulder. Nor are any of the other pistols on the market my friend. Judging by the language in the proposed rules, the BATF understands this and is allowing people three options:

View Quote

2: bring the pistol to a legal configuration This is going to require taking off anything that attaches to the back of the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2: bring the pistol to a legal configuration This is going to require taking off anything that attaches to the back of the receiver.
View Quote

If my understanding of the worksheet is correct, this is not the case. The brace extension and brace I am hoping to use score lower than 4 in each section. If you are correct, then It will be back to the drawing board! Out of curiosity, did you read my original post? Was there any place I was incorrect in my assumptions? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
What's your overall length with the brace unfolded and extended?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The whole point to the bingo card is that if it remotely looks like an ar/ak/weapon of mass destruction, you're boned.

The wanna be ctr stock but defined as a brace falls under the "designed to be shouldered" unspoken rule.

OP, Jaqufrost had it right from the start and is one of the biggest dudes on this board that skirts that line each and every build. If you want to listen to anyone, it's him.
View Quote

I listen to everyone, and respect each of your opinions. My take is different, and this thread is basically looking for advice dealing with the proposed rule-set. I do not see the similarities between the CTR and the BTR. Up close, the BTR is really REALLY thin, and (appears to be) uncomfortable to shoulder/ not designed to shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll measure in a bit, and I will remeasure the LOP as well. Its my day off and I have a 18-month old that I'm rocking as I write this... will get on this as soon as dad duty ends!
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I listen to everyone, and respect each of your opinions. My take is different, and this thread is basically looking for advice dealing with the proposed rule-set. I do not see the similarities between the CTR and the BTR. Up close, the BTR is really REALLY thin, and (appears to be) uncomfortable to shoulder/ not designed to shoulder.
View Quote

What the ATF defines as "uncomfortable to shoulder/not designed to shoulder" is not up to you. The shockwave blade sucks ass and is uncomfortable to shoulder but anyone who owns one probably shouldered it and dealt with it.

Again the whole point of the card is to make it impossible to abide by the rules.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What the ATF defines as "uncomfortable to shoulder/not designed to shoulder" is not up to you. The shockwave blade sucks ass and is uncomfortable to shoulder but anyone who owns one probably shouldered it and dealt with it.

Again the whole point of the card is to make it impossible to abide by the rules.
View Quote

Anything short of a knife or spike sticking out of the back will probably be considered shoulderable by the ATF
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:I listen to everyone, and respect each of your opinions. My take is different, and this thread is basically looking for advice dealing with the proposed rule-set. I do not see the similarities between the CTR and the BTR. Up close, the BTR is really REALLY thin, and (appears to be) uncomfortable to shoulder/ not designed to shoulder.
View Quote

I think it's likely ATF would look at the BTR name itself and use that to say it was derived from the CTR stock.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like I said man, we are not in disagreement. But this is not the point of the thread. I am looking for technical advice here. I am just as concerned as you are about the moral and legal dubiousness of these proposed rules. I will write in during the comment period.

When all is said and done, I will follow the law (or in this case, the rules made by ATF under the administrative discretion given to them).

In any case, there are many threads about the ethical/moral/ and legal issues at hand in general discussion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Still a proposed rule.

Spend the energy calling your Representatives and making comments.

Guarantee that AFT is not really wanting to get stuck in the enforcement tar baby this will be for them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anything short of a knife or spike sticking out of the back will probably be considered shoulderable by the ATF
View Quote

Don't I know it! best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think it's likely ATF would look at the BTR name itself and use that to say it was derived from the CTR stock.
View Quote

I don't believe the name of the brace has anything to do with their determination criteria. That being said: I can't bloody find the determination criteria around what makes a "known" design, so you may be on to something.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Still a proposed rule.

Spend the energy calling your Representatives and making comments.

Guarantee that AFT is not really wanting to get stuck in the enforcement tar baby this will be for them.
View Quote

I was a boy scout and believe in being prepared. Thank you for your comment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Ill be constructive, as I read the regs there are no points assigned for just folding.  Folding device to increase LOP is a penalty.  The other mention of folding device I believe is relevant to a tailhook device, see below.

If your brace was the triangle type folding brace or folder brace commonly used for Scorpions, what would be the points?  Hard to tell because of the subjective is this brace based on a stock and the suitability for shouldering...   What I really love is how the same feature gets scored multiple times.  There is already a point system for LOP.  Why should it matter if I use folding mechanism or spacers.  Or if the brace is adjustable, shouldn't it just default to max LOP allowed instead of double or triple penalty.

I believe this refers to tailhook style device:

Counterbalance designs18 utilize the weight of the weapon as a lever to push the
“stabilizing brace” into the forearm and provide stability for firing. These designs do not
typically include a strap because the “stabilizing brace” itself contacts the side and
bottom of the shooter’s arm and is held in place by the weight of the firearm, using the
shooter’s hand as the fulcrum. However, whether characterized as a method of storage or
otherwise, there is no forearm stabilizing purpose in a Counterbalance design that folds
closed such that it can no longer be used as a “stabilizing brace.” Indeed, this type of
design may create rear surface area such that the “stabilizing brace” may be suitable only
as a shoulder stock when closed. The folding feature of the Counterbalance design stands
in contrast to the purported intent of the device. This feature presents some evidence that
a firearm equipped with a Counterbalance “stabilizing brace” is intended to be fired from
the shoulder and therefore will accrue 1 point.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, had a chance to measure. OAL Just under 31".

The LOP with the brace in the position I use it is 11.81" BUT if I extend the brace to the last point on the extension that would change to roughly 14" (which puts me over). Does ATF always count LOP fully extended?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ill be constructive, as I read the regs there are no points assigned for just folding.  Folding device to increase LOP is a penalty.  The other mention of folding device I believe is relevant to a tailhook device, see below.

If your brace was the triangle type folding brace or folder brace commonly used for Scorpions, what would be the points?  Hard to tell because of the subjective is this brace based on a stock and the suitability for shouldering...   What I really love is how the same feature gets scored multiple times.  There is already a point system for LOP.  Why should it matter if I use folding mechanism or spacers.  Or if the brace is adjustable, shouldn't it just default to max LOP allowed instead of double or triple penalty.

I believe this refers to tailhook style device:

Counterbalance designs18 utilize the weight of the weapon as a lever to push the
“stabilizing brace” into the forearm and provide stability for firing. These designs do not
typically include a strap because the “stabilizing brace” itself contacts the side and
bottom of the shooter’s arm and is held in place by the weight of the firearm, using the
shooter’s hand as the fulcrum. However, whether characterized as a method of storage or
otherwise, there is no forearm stabilizing purpose in a Counterbalance design that folds
closed such that it can no longer be used as a “stabilizing brace.” Indeed, this type of
design may create rear surface area such that the “stabilizing brace” may be suitable only
as a shoulder stock when closed. The folding feature of the Counterbalance design stands
in contrast to the purported intent of the device. This feature presents some evidence that
a firearm equipped with a Counterbalance “stabilizing brace” is intended to be fired from
the shoulder and therefore will accrue 1 point.
View Quote

Interesting! Thank you for this, I will remove one point from my consideration. HOWEVER, I am concerned that unless I put a stopper into the tube extension I am using, I will hit a longer LOP.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#34]
AFT doesn’t make law. They are jumping the shark with this BS.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
AFT doesn’t make law. They are jumping the shark with this BS.
View Quote

Thank you for your comment. Typically, in our system, these bureaucracies receive some amount of administrative discretion from statutes and are (often) given broad leniency in how they regulate. In this case, I am fairly certain the proposed rules do not comply with the intention of the NFA as stabilization aids were not mentioned. That being said, the purpose of this thread is to get technical advice on these arbitrary rules, not debate them. I respect and share your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shouldn't disassembly be a fourth option?

i.e. separate the barrel from the upper receiver, or break it down even further.

I have three pistols and am considering rebuilding with a 16" barrel on at least one of them.

I'll wait to see how this falls out before I decide a course of action on the other two.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

OK, had a chance to measure. OAL Just under 31".

The LOP with the brace in the position I use it is 11.81" BUT if I extend the brace to the last point on the extension that would change to roughly 14" (which puts me over). Does ATF always count LOP fully extended?
View Quote
OAL of 26" with everything extended is too long.  Anything over 26" when fully extended instantly fails. See section 1 pre-requisites.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OAL of 26" with everything extended is too long.  Anything over 26" when fully extended instantly fails. See section 1 pre-requisites.
View Quote

So I would need to effectively shave 5" from it. I think I can get 3" using a shorter buffer device, and another 1" removing the muzzle device... They do not make this easy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Shouldn't disassembly be a fourth option?

i.e. separate the barrel from the upper receiver, or break it down even further.

I have three pistols and am considering rebuilding with a 16" barrel on at least one of them.

I'll wait to see how this falls out before I decide a course of action on the other two.
View Quote

Yeah, I am summarizing. I have no intention of destroying the pistol, or turning it in. I just want to comply with the law and keep this as configured. Thanks for your comment.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So I would need to effectively shave 5" from it. I think I can get 3" using a shorter buffer device, and another 1" removing the muzzle device... They do not make this easy.
View Quote

Effectively removing the brace all together like I said above.

Your AK was built to be shouldered. If it wasn't, you don't need the tube and "brace."

If you are this concerned, take the tube off and put a single point sling attachment on the back and push out shoot the thing.

If you're not concerned, leave the dang brace on and shoot the thing however you want.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Effectively removing the brace all together like I said above.

Your AK was built to be shouldered. If it wasn't, you don't need the tube and "brace."

If you are this concerned, take the tube off and put a single point sling attachment on the back and push out shoot the thing.

If you're not concerned, leave the dang brace on and shoot the thing however you want.
View Quote

Thanks for your response. There is a third option: I shave off the necessary length and continue to run this pistol as intended.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#42]
We use the ATFs version of length of pull or the actual length of pull?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We use the ATFs version of length of pull or the actual length of pull?
View Quote

Sadly, after reading the document, length of pull translates to the center of the trigger to the center of the brace. This seems to mean fully extended on the buffer (or other) tube. I am looking for some solutions to cut down LOP.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's their point
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's their point
View Quote

Sadly, that seems to be the case. I think I can get to 26" with a thread protector and a smaller buffer tube extension. I am about one inch shy, and can make that up with some customization of the tube.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#46]
believe OAL is measured before the brace is attached...  but who knows, I am not going to read the 71 page document again.

I see the Magpul has an adjustment like a standard M4 stock to adjust pull.  That was used as justification for being stock like for the SBA3 example.

From what I remember, your only chance to pass the worksheet is to have a non adjustable brace with a strap.  Sounds like it can fold as long as its not a folding adapter on a buffer tube.  LOP probably needs to be under 12.5"  

They screw you by counting the KAK system as adjustable even though you need an allen wrench to make adjustments.  Maybe if you JB weld over the adjustment hole it counts as fixed, lol...   But the KAK tube still dings you for one point.

I believe the regs might be loosened before implementation, but I don't expect the pseudo SBA3 or 4 brace that acts like a stock to be legal.  ARs are heavily penalized by the 26" OAL as they need the buffer tube to function before a brace is ever added.

Buying a new barrel is going to cost most of a stamp anyway so maybe time to put in that form and beat the rush.  Esp if you have a 11.5" barreled gun you love to use with magnified optics, just go ahead and stamp it.  Or learn to love it with an A5 or rifle length tube covered in foam and no brace.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

3: I have been at this a while, and have ammunition. Ammunition is not the point of this thread. Thank you for your comment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I follow the law too.

In this case, it is your government that doesn't follow the law.    Fuck them, fuck appeasing them, and fuck this thread.      

"I follow the law".  Yeah, I guess you think Rosa Parks was wrong for not sitting in the back of the bus too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I get it man. Maybe start your own thread in general discussion about it. This thread is looking for advice from members dealing with the arbitrary rule-set the BATF just put out. I respect your opinion, but I am looking for advice on the build above. Best of luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Write a letter to the ATF and ask them.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
believe OAL is measured before the brace is attached...  but who knows, I am not going to read the 71 page document again.

I see the Magpul has an adjustment like a standard M4 stock to adjust pull.  That was used as justification for being stock like for the SBA3 example.

From what I remember, your only chance to pass the worksheet is to have a non adjustable brace with a strap.  Sounds like it can fold as long as its not a folding adapter on a buffer tube.  LOP probably needs to be under 12.5"  

They screw you by counting the KAK system as adjustable even though you need an allen wrench to make adjustments.  Maybe if you JB weld over the adjustment hole it counts as fixed, lol...   But the KAK tube still dings you for one point.

I believe the regs might be loosened before implementation, but I don't expect the pseudo SBA3 or 4 brace that acts like a stock to be legal.  ARs are heavily penalized by the 26" OAL as they need the buffer tube to function before a brace is ever added.

Buying a new barrel is going to cost most of a stamp anyway so maybe time to put in that form and beat the rush.  Esp if you have a 11.5" barreled gun you love to use with magnified optics, just go ahead and stamp it.  Or learn to love it with an A5 or rifle length tube covered in foam and no brace.
View Quote

I was actually considering some kind of customization to fill all but one hole in the tube, but I don't know if they would accept that. I am now about half way through the document, and LOP is from the center of the trigger to the center of the brace (if I am reading this right).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top