Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/27/2020 11:37:49 AM EDT
anyone have any , was wondering if they worked well , i kinda like the idea of illuminating the metal on metal
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#1]
They feed, but they are definitely not the most durable option.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They feed, but they are definitely not the most durable option.
View Quote

what makes them less durable than the AR  and the LR308  mags
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for a dependable polymer mag I highly suggest circle 10 or Toth tool magazine. The circle 10s have metal reinforced feed lips, front and back locking lugs. If you dont wanna pay $50 a mag for circle 10 try some new production metal magazines. Croatian mags or bulgarian commercial magazines. Croatian mags had a bad rap but it seems newer production mags solved the back lug problem. Bulgarian combloc style mags are g2g.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are looking for a dependable polymer mag I highly suggest circle 10 or Toth tool magazine. The circle 10s have metal reinforced feed lips, front and back locking lugs. If you dont wanna pay $50 a mag for circle 10 try some new production metal magazines. Croatian mags or bulgarian commercial magazines. Croatian mags had a bad rap but it seems newer production mags solved the back lug problem. Bulgarian combloc style mags are g2g.
View Quote

i have plenty of metal mags ,i scooped up a boat load of the Poly Tech mags when they were available some time ago , like i said was liking the idea of eliminating the metal on metal contact if there was a good composite alternative , at $50 a mag its become less attractive of a thought  ,thats twice what the Magpul Gen 3 are that got me thinking about trying , i'll just stay with the steel mags until someone comes up with a better alternative that doesnt rape the wallet so bad
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

what makes them less durable than the AR  and the LR308  mags
View Quote

AR and AK mags have completely different lock ups, you cannot directly compare a material that is durable in an AR to an AK. In addition, a mag full of 7.62x39 weighs a good bit more than a mag full of 5.56x45.
The primary issues here are if you are looking at the MOE mag then you are dealing with a polymer locking lug, these have a far higher chance of breaking if dropped while inserted into the rifle because of the force that will be exerted on the lug. The other issue, with both the MOE and M3, is the lack of steel in the feed lips combined with the extra weight of 7.62x39 lends itself to broken feed lips if the magazine is dropped on a hard surface and lands on the feed lips.

I am not saying they are bad, but they are nowhere near the best like they are in the AR world.

If you aren't keen on paying the Circle 10 premium then look at Xtech Tactical, their steel reinforced models are very good. In addition, a more budget friendly option compared to the M3 are the AC Unity mags, they have steel reinforcement in the same locations as the M3 but cost a lot less.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If we’re talking the Magpul MOEs, all polymer, they’re fine.
No, they won’t last as long as a steel or steel reinforced mag, but they’re usually easy to find for cheap, they’re available in 20 rounders (which is why I have some) and they do feed a bit higher than any surplus mags I own. They also seem to fit just about everything.

Got some of the first gen AC Unity mags too, I think mine were $8 a pop. For that price they’re great. Unlike the upgraded gen 2 Magpuls, they’re reinforced front AND back. Never understood why Magpul charges almost twice as much for the gen 2 over the all poly MOE and only reinforced one end. I heard the Magpul gen 2s were spec’d a bit larger so they’re a tighter fit bs MOEs.

The Unitys are more flexible on the side than Magpuls when unloaded.

I still shoot a lot of corrosive ammo so I run that thru my Magpuls, Tapcos, Unitys & Korean mags and save the non-corrosive for surplus mags.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupe
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks fellas the last two posts pretty much said it all and summed it up nicely
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Regular Guynot

Regular Guy 2

TSI Reviewnot

I won't lie, the Magpul AK mags look freaking cool and are pretty cheap, but they probably aren't as good as their other products. Even though they reinforced the locking lugs on the Gen M3 AK mags, they still failed to reinforce the feed lips. That said, I only own one at the moment, a 20-rounder that is the first mag in the truck gun for space savings. The rest are all Combloc surplus. I may pick up a couple of the 10rd. AK Pmags strictly for range use (zeroing) and hunting where crazy mag dumps, tactical mag changes, and drops will be less frequent and less dynamic.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top