Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/9/2022 1:34:14 PM EDT
Magpul AK MOE or AK GEN M3 mags?

Looking to stock up on some AK mags -

Are the Magpul AK MOE ok or are the Magpul AK GEN M3 mags really that much beter and worth double the price?

Already have some steel standard 30 round AK mags, just want to stock up some more for EOTWAWKI or more future Democrat administrations. :)

Thanks -

Eric

https://magpul.com/pmag-30-ak-akm-moe.html?mp_global_color=118

https://magpul.com/pmag-30-ak-akm-gen-m3.html?mp_global_color=118
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have steel combloc surplus mags from the 80's that are still going strong. They are indestructable. Buy steel mags.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Eric2340:
Magpul AK MOE or AK GEN M3 mags?

Looking to stock up on some AK mags -

Are the Magpul AK MOE ok or are the Magpul AK GEN M3 mags really that much beter and worth double the price?

Already have some steel standard 30 round AK mags, just want to stock up some more for EOTWAWKI or more future Democrat administrations. :)

Thanks -

Eric

https://magpul.com/pmag-30-ak-akm-moe.html?mp_global_color=118

https://magpul.com/pmag-30-ak-akm-gen-m3.html?mp_global_color=118
View Quote

Ak gen3 mags are better , they have steel reinforcement. Are they worth double the price ? That’s up to you to make that decision unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#3]
Forget this was not GD?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently unearthed 8 Bulgarian steel 30rnd mags new in the plastic from the depths of my safe. I forgot I had them. I know everyone praises the polymer waffles but what of the steel Bulgy mags? Are they good to go?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
I recently unearthed 8 Bulgarian steel 30rnd mags new in the plastic from the depths of my safe. I forgot I had them. I know everyone praises the polymer waffles but what of the steel Bulgy mags? Are they good to go?
View Quote

I like them. I think the consensus is that they are not quite as good as combloc surplus but better than Korean mags. I think the only difference between the Bulgy commercial and surplus is the plastic follower.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Verde:

I like them. I think the consensus is that they are not quite as good as combloc surplus but better than Korean mags. I think the only difference between the Bulgy commercial and surplus is the plastic follower.
View Quote

Mine are full steel including the followers. They are Comblock Bulgarian 30s.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
I have steel combloc surplus mags from the 80's that are still going strong. They are indestructable. Buy steel mags.
View Quote

This.  If money matters steel surplus is the way.  Magpuls seem to be fine but I dont have a ton of use into them (maybe 1k rounds in a newer US milled AK).  I have bakes that are well used and the beat to shit (and I mean vet bringback beat to shit 7.62 that I got 30 years ago) one does jam certain guns but the mil spec steel runs in everything.  Good milspec steel never fails.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

@-Apocalypto-

Original springs, too?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@-Apocalypto-

Original springs, too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@-Apocalypto-

Original springs, too?
yes. They are way overbuilt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@-Apocalypto-

Original springs, too?

@-Apocalypto-

Wow. Have any idea how many rounds through whatever mag has the most rounds through it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Steal locking lugs are important on any AK magazine that you are using beyond a range toy. Doesn't take much of a jolt to shear the plastic ones off and then you're fucked.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
For the money, I agree with everyone above. Get combloc steel mags. You can find good condition Romy and Yugos for $12-$16 bucks. Take them apart and clean them good, oil them up and they’ll last forever.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I love polymer mags because of the weight savings and also they don’t rust. If I were starting over today I’d go PSA for 7.62 polymer magazines because they are just as tough as circle 10 magazines with metal reinforced feed lips and lugs for under $30 each. The Gen 1 waffles are cool because you can easily cut them down to 20 round magazines. Of course as others have said combloc steel mags are good too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:16:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#15]
The PSA mags have been great for me.

I've been beating on the non reinforced Magpul mags for years, range days, classes, competition, you name it, and have yet to have one fail. Doesn't bother me to use one with plastic tabs. Apparently throwing a rifle with a plastic tabbed mag into a bucket at a run still isn't enough of a small jolt a previous poster was talking about breaking the mags
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Who are good vendors for surplus steel mags?
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top