Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 11:28:47 AM EDT
I traded for this MAK90 with a spiker conversion done to it, but added the cleaning rod myself (I prefer the look with it).  That was a pain in and of itself, but the AK had the "droopy bayonet" before that - the addition of the cleaning rod just seems to have exacerbated it a bit since the bottom of the MAK90 gas block doesn't have a cut out for the cleaning rod.

Regardless, the bayonet doesn't completely lock in the retracted position.  It hangs down about a half inch when retracted - enough that if I am not careful when shooting, the end of the spike bayonet (which is sharp!) could cut my hand.  Other than needing to put a velcro strap or something to hold the bayonet up when shooting (not an option for me), is there anything I can do to fix this?

Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe some JB weld, or straight up weld the cut out on each side so that the engagement is higher?

Edit, and also relieve the gas block with a channel down the middle so the cleaning rod sits higher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
bayonet looks bent right on the lug channels.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a converted MAK that did the same thing.  I think the gas block will have to be ground down to clearance for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  Bayonet isn't bent - it just has some contours that I'm sure I will need to grind down and then re-blue.

Now I did notice that the reason the cleaning rod was so hard to get in is that the front trunnion (?) doesn't have a hole in it for the cleaning rod, so by pushing it in, it takes a significant bend downwards to fit into the space where the handguard goes.  Do I need to drill another hole for this?  Or is there a cleaning rod that is a tad shorter for the MAK 90's?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Something is off with the rod, I am not sure if it is the gas block not being cut properly, or what, in addition to the spiker issue.  The rods almost have a bend in them when they are in there, see the following pictures (stolen, not mine).  As far as the spiker, if it is not locking up properly, just build it up with a tig welder and machine it to where it needs to be.  Only downside will be re-finishing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Gas block needs to be ground a little more. Bayonet is bent up and the spiker FSB is not milled correctly, needs to be welded to and reground. I would start with the gas block and bending the bayonet ear back into the correct U.

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Related question for those who know: how do the parts in this US-made Polytech spiker kit compare to the original Chinese stuff?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
They’re pretty much identical.
The finish looks a little more refined compare to my original spike assembly.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Related question for those who know: how do the parts in this US-made Polytech spiker kit compare to the original Chinese stuff?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, did you resolve the issue?
I’ve one with similar problem.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, did you resolve the issue?
I've one with similar problem.
View Quote
I removed the bayonet only, disassembled it, masked it off with tape and put some JB Weld on the ears of the bayonet thing that interacts with the catch on the FSB.  That was perfect and it retracts all the way now.  Plus side is that you can barely see the JB Weld.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, sounds like a great idea.
Would you mind sharing the pic of after work?

Quoted:

I removed the bayonet only, disassembled it, masked it off with tape and put some JB Weld on the ears of the bayonet thing that interacts with the catch on the FSB.  That was perfect and it retracts all the way now.  Plus side is that you can barely see the JB Weld.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
This is after the fix, before I cleaned it up a bit (sanded the rough edges of the JB Weld and then touched it up so it was black), but you can tell the general idea of what I did.

Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Well done!
Very nicely done... indeed.
Thanks for the pic, I'm going to try on mine and will post some pic after it's done.
Thanks again for the clear pic and instruction.

Quoted:
This is after the fix, before I cleaned it up a bit (sanded the rough edges of the JB Weld and then touched it up so it was black), but you can tell the general idea of what I did.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great! Well done. Nothing like a debanned MAK.

Here's mine I did a few years ago with the US parts. Looks like the bayonet "shelf is more horizontal on mine, forcing the blade higher against the barrel. Looking closer, it appears my gas block is just a bit different too in that mine has two humps under it for the cleaning rod. The rest of you guys seem to just have single hump in the back. Interesting.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top