Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2021 1:44:53 PM EDT
I want to mount red dots on 3 of my AKs, an Arsenal SAM7SFK, a SLR7UR and a Kalashnikov-USA KR-9 that’s now an SBR. The mounts I understand, with both Arsenals using a side mount and the Kalashnikov-USA mounting on the top cover, but the sights are a complete mystery to me. ARs I understand, that’s easy, but with the AKs I want all 3 to cowitness to some degree and I want to mount them as low as possible so that I can still see the iron sights without removing the red dot. BTW, I’m only looking at red dots, no holographic sights.  

I’m considering an MRO, but open to any suggestions. These aren’t clones of anything, just guns that I like.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
HS 503 with ACSS , low mount and a Ultimak lower 1/3 cowitness
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
When I had my SLR-106 I used the Attero Arms mount with a Sig Romeo 5 on it, but you could also use a T-2. They also make one for use with an MRO. While the rear sight is removed, the mount incorporates a rear sight notch that is functional.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Pk01VS
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you want to use an ultimak, the PK01-VS is the lowest you're going to get with a siderail mount for your fullsize AKs

The KR-9 railed top cover prevents cowitness for red dots, unless again you want to use an AKSU ultimak

I also agree with the Attero. I use the pic rail version on my AK74-UF, but if you go with a dedicated mount for a specific optic you will also be able to cowitness
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve decided to forgo trying to co-witness the optic and just use a side mount, except for the KR-9 which I’ll mount directly on the dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Holosun 509 on an ADM QD mount is great on the Kalshnikov.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you want to use an ultimak, the PK01-VS is the lowest you're going to get with a siderail mount for your fullsize AKs

The KR-9 railed top cover prevents cowitness for red dots, unless again you want to use an AKSU ultimak

I also agree with the Attero. I use the pic rail version on my AK74-UF, but if you go with a dedicated mount for a specific optic you will also be able to cowitness
View Quote

@TX-Zen Nice to see you play here as well. Can you comment on the Attero mount as far as durability should you AK take a bad fall/drop and the retention of zero. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I suppose it depends on how it lands. If the optic hits first with sideways force on the rear sight leaf I can't really imagine it will survive too well, but if it lands upside down on top of the optic first then maybe it would

I don't think anything will take the impact of the weight of the rifle on the two pins that go into the RSB
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks I appreciate it
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suppose it depends on how it lands. If the optic hits first with sideways force on the rear sight leaf I can't really imagine it will survive too well, but if it lands upside down on top of the optic first then maybe it would

I don't think anything will take the impact of the weight of the rifle on the two pins that go into the RSB
View Quote

Attero is great but I also question durability somewhat.

On the plus side the aluminum will bend before your rsb gets damaged.

I went with a RS Regulate but I feel like I only found one in stock because of my M10s rail height. Some guy on akfiles was just sitting on those proprietary mounts.

RS paired really nice with the Primary Arms 25mm rds. Still gets enough of a cowitness to be usable.

TBH cowitness is overated if you have a qd mount though
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I use RS Regulate AK301 lower with the AKM 30mm upper and an Aimpoint Comp M2.  I have two of them on Saigas and they co-witness lower 1/3.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Midwest Industries has a variety of mounts that will cowitness, from a series of handguard mounts (get the one specific to your model optic) to a gas tube rail, to a modular side rail. The picatinny won't get low enough to cowitness, but their 30mm tube and MRO mounts should.

I'm actually going in the opposite direction. I have been cowitnessing with a Burris fastfire on a handguard, which works fine, but I've gotten used to higher optic mounts on my other firearms for a more upright head position and using an AR-style straight tube for my brace lacks the drop of an AK stock which needs me to mash my face even lower. I'm just going to embrace the height over bore and raise my optic height.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top