BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2019 8:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro]
Hi

I have a Romanian RH10

The handguard retainer has some wiggle (forward and back). The lever moves with ease. I'm wondering if the lever is too small for the hole that was drilled. Is it worth installing a new retaining lever, maybe a polish one would be a little bigger tolerance wise?

On multiple handguards there is up to down play on the bottom handguard (It slips out ever so slightly from the retainer if upward pressure is put on the handguard). The only time I get a really tight lock up is if my upper handguard is pressing on the lower, or if the handguard is over sized to begin with (Magpul AK for example, or a TDI lower handguard with the khyber cheese gratter).

If I shim it, it takes a considerable amount to get it tight. Honestly if my retainer had folded edges this wouldn't really be an issue.

Just looking for ideas before I go to a clamp on, or go with a Zhukov.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
This section seems dead.

But I replaced the retaining lever with a polish one. Still having the same issue.

I'm starting to think the channel that was cut into the barrel might be slightly over sized.

Can anyone bounce some ideas toward me?

For now I guess I'm going to stick with the Magpul 2 piece handguards.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the barrel channel is more than likely oversized. You can either weld the channel with tig, fill it with hard silver braze, replace the handguard retainer with a bolt-on version, or replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Yes, the barrel channel is more than likely oversized. You can either weld the channel with tig, fill it with hard silver braze, replace the handguard retainer with a bolt-on version, or replace the barrel.
View Quote
Was afraid of this. Might just stick with the Magpul handguards or a midwest industries HG (It clamps to the barrel)

If I re-barrel this thing I'm going to shoot the crap out of the old one first.

if I cut the retainer I'd probably just pony up the cash for a SLR handguard.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Something else you could try is to peen the edge of the channel so that it would put more pressure to the rear towards the handguard. I've never tried this, but can't immediately why it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Something else you could try is to peen the edge of the channel so that it would put more pressure to the rear towards the handguard. I've never tried this, but can't immediately why it wouldn't work.
View Quote
Probably just need an automatic center punch?

Might give it a try. Also just ordered a troy rail on sale, looks like the front retainer can have adjustments when installing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually thinking about it, any reason a rollpin wouldn't work?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#7]
Just documenting this for anyone with a similar problem.

- A Roll Pin will provide a really tight lock up for those using traditional handguards.
If using anything extended it would become a blind pin and I would not suggest using this unless you want to make the handguard on it permanent, or if you want to drill out a roll pin every time. Honestly I'd rather have a roll pin instead of a retaining lever but that is just me.

Here is the approach I'm taking. I don't have the means to silver sodder/weld.

It is able to withstand continuous heat exposure of 400ºF and intermittent heat exposure to 550ºF
View Quote
I know JB weld has no place on firearms. But I don't see this as a huge deal/altercation. More or less using it as a filler/shim to tighten up the retaining channel. I would not recommend using this for other other applications on firearms.

Was watching some AKOU videos.
After 3 magazine dumps the temperature range was about:
Gas Block Temp: 325 Degrees
Muzzle Brake: 400 Degrees
Railed Gas Tube: 150 degrees

An AR15 after a 150 round dump was close to 550 degrees. I'm thinking this would be fine for my purposes.

I believe the RH10 has a pencil barrel of sorts. So i don't see myself doing mag dumps through it.

I used a center punch to peen the channel in a few spots, and hit it with some high grit sand paper. Wiped it down with alcohol wipe, used non chlorinated break cleaner to further degrease the area,

Basically I filled in the channel with high temperature putty. I plan on letting it cure, and I'll file it little by little until it fights nice and tight with the retainer. Will update tomorrow, takes 8 hours to cure but I'll give it 24. Also in a sense it is reversible if it came down to it. (how is it reversible? with a file and a steady hand.)

Edit: The JB weld did not work. Maybe I mixed it wrong, but it did not adhere to the barrel.

Oh well.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top