Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
I started a thread in GD asking about these rifles and received some good feedback.
One question I had that wasn't answered was: how easy is it to load these rifles using a stripper clip?
I've owned an SMLE in the past and had no problem loading it in this way, but in some youtube videos where clips are used with the vz58 it doesn't seem all that smooth.

This is important to me because the NY-legal version of this rifle has a fixed mag and is top-loaded only.  (It's possibly the only option here for a fixed-mag pistol grip carbine that doesn't have some super goofy way of loading, like the ARs that require you to remove the upper receiver first)
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few 10 round VZ mags I use when shooting from a bench and I have some Czech stripper clips for that reason. The strippers from my surplus Yugo M67 ammo also seem to be identical. I've been told the new production Chinese stripper clips don't work in the VZs as well.

Loading isn't hard, BUT I will say that I've also used strippers on a Mauser K98 and an SKS and both of those seemed to load smoother than the VZ. The Mauser & SKS loaded like a YKK zipper. Or it may just be my VZ, I've used the AK mag loaders for stripper clips and that works like a charm.

Ebay is a good source for genuine Czech stripper clips.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Just the type of info I was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The quality of the stripper clips have a lot to do with it.
Chrome plated BXN clips are the best I think followed by real deal mil surplus from Germany, Russia, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Chinese etc. Commercial stripper clips are junk.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The 'real deal' BXNs are easy to find on ebay, if you don't see them just wait.

BTW I learned a neat trick on loading 7.62x39 strippers. Grab the tip of the top round and pull up on it gently while shoving the rounds in, puts all the pressure on the rims of the cartridges and they load easier.

Most of my stripper loading was with an 8mm mauser which loads fine just by pushing down on the top case but this works better with the tapered 7.62x39 in both my VZ & SKS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The "BXN" clips are what the S&B m43 ammo from Czechoslovakia comes packaged in. Theyre great. The Yugo ones are also good.
The chinese ones are hit and miss so I usually juat get rid of them rather than waste my time since I have an essentially unlimited supply of BXN ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the humble SKS prohibited in NY?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Is the humble SKS prohibited in NY?
View Quote
No, it does not have a removable magazine.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top