Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2021 11:24:59 PM EDT
Ok, so i am looking at options to mount a light to my AK.  

I am thinking I am going to get one of the warsaw wood co's handguards with mlok slots https://warsawwoodco.com/romanian-akm-handguard/

my question is, if you mount a light on an mlock rail like most AR's (high and to the right or left), aren't you going to be getting the light too close to the exhaust port at the front of the gas tube?  what are people using for mounts and mount locations?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Rs regulate sells a clamp on picatinny mount that secures to the front portion of the barrel. It is not permanent and is easy to install. That's what I use. I even mounted my perst 4 laser no problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rs regulate sells a clamp on picatinny mount that secures to the front portion of the barrel. It is not permanent and is easy to install. That's what I use. I even mounted my perst 4 laser no problem.
View Quote

ya i saw those but i forgot to mention the ak has a 12" barrel  don't think that one will work
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am thinking I am going to get one of the warsaw wood co's handguards with mlok slots https://warsawwoodco.com/romanian-akm-handguard/

my question is, if you mount a light on an mlock rail like most AR's (high and to the right or left), aren't you going to be getting the light too close to the exhaust port at the front of the gas tube?  what are people using for mounts and mount locations?
View Quote

Ooooh that's pretty cool!

I went with a set of Magpul moe handguards  & folding stock on my Home Defense Sar1.
Still need to mount a flash light on it.

Attachment Attached File

The light will be fine. You might need to wipe the lens off occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Put a light on it just now. Went with the lower hand guard position as I'm left handed and it gets in the way of my lefty sling mount.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ya i saw those but i forgot to mention the ak has a 12" barrel  don't think that one will work
View Quote

Ultimak has a rail for the amd65 that can be made to fit, a buddy of mine did it for a 12" psa ak.
Here's my light set up on a wasr10.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You could also get a short section of picatinny rail, grind off the recoil lugs, and screw it directly on to the gas tube cover and secure it with lock nuts on the backside. Then you could either get a ring mount and use a handheld light like a Surefire G2 or use a pistol light.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Put a light on it just now. Went with the lower hand guard position as I'm left handed and it gets in the way of my lefty sling mount.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Light_Mounted_SAR1_jpg-2076500.JPG

View Quote

Do you use only the magazine well hold or something? How are you supposed to grip your hand guard with the light there?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you use only the magazine well hold or something? How are you supposed to grip your hand guard with the light there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Light_Mounted_SAR1_jpg-2076500.JPG

I use the magazine well hold for pretty much all my long guns. The other negative of the light mounted there is shooting off a branch / sandbag / etc.
I can live with it for now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If the rsregulate BM-1 isn’t going to work (the barre clamp picatinny).  Then I would second the ultimak.  Simple offset light mount will put the light in a good position to activate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't had any issues with this setup.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Fun thing about mounting a light in the same location on an AK as on an AR is light splash back from the front sight tower.

I’m right handed and mounted my light just like I do on my AR’s, left side, forward, between 10 and 11 o’clock.

This is comfortable for me, but the light splash coming back obscures the target. The solution for me during competition night shoots was a thin fin of black corrugated plastic zip tied to the body of the flashlight and to the front sight block. Keeps the plastic off the barrel & gas tube so it doesnt melt and stops light splash off the front sight.

Sounds stupid, but it works, and it’s fairly durable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ultimak M1-b for full size akm with the surefire scout pro mini. Works quite well and is simple

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Went with an IWS offset MOE scout mount for my Magpul hand guard on an AKP. Works pretty well the the streamlight rail mount 2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Echo 93's Mk65 mount is available again. It can be connected to a MLOK slot or attached directly to pretty much any hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

People mount their lights next to the muzzle on an AR-15, which get legitimately blasted and concussed and work without an issue. If your light is fragile enough that minor bleed off from the small vents of a gas block on an AK will ruin it, then maybe you shouldn't buy that light.

I prefer Surefire lights and they are built like tanks. But I have also had Streamlight lights and they take a ton of abuse too.

Regarding mounts, there are some from RS Regulate and even CDM Gear that mount on the barrel in front of the hand guards.

https://khybercustoms.com/akm-yugo-light-mounts/

https://rsregulate.com/product-category/accessorymounts/
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

People mount their lights next to the muzzle on an AR-15, which get legitimately blasted and concussed and work without an issue. If your light is fragile enough that minor bleed off from the small vents of a gas block on an AK will ruin it, then maybe you shouldn't buy that light.

I prefer Surefire lights and they are built like tanks. But I have also had Streamlight lights and they take a ton of abuse too.

Regarding mounts, there are some from RS Regulate and even CDM Gear that mount on the barrel in front of the hand guards.

https://khybercustoms.com/akm-yugo-light-mounts/

https://rsregulate.com/product-category/accessorymounts/
View Quote

Thanks.  Ya I run either streamlights or surefire.  I try to keep the lights out of the gas area for 2 reasons.  First is that some lights have issues with head Temps as it is without adding to it.  The second is that if you can keep the lens area cleaner then you will have a much better working light (ie no carbon buildup on lens).

I have an older surefire that is the lens was starting to get hazy due to this.  Changing to a new lens made more of a difference than I thought it would.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Ya I run either streamlights or surefire.  I try to keep the lights out of the gas area for 2 reasons.  First is that some lights have issues with head Temps as it is without adding to it.  The second is that if you can keep the lens area cleaner then you will have a much better working light (ie no carbon buildup on lens).

I have an older surefire that is the lens was starting to get hazy due to this.  Changing to a new lens made more of a difference than I thought it would.
View Quote

Understandable. You can typically wipe that off though and also in most cases the light is powerful enough to push through carbon build up.

I had a Streamlight RailMount 1 mounted right next to a muzzle brake for about 3000 rounds. It got caked up. Still worked and just wiped off. That's why as much as people knock Streamlight, I had no issues with the one I had. Don't stress it too much. Even with heat it's not that much of a concern. The battery is the most concern for heat but that's just battery life. Just carry spares!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I used a magpul light attachment and just attached it on the ultimak.

people keep saying the heat is gonna be an issue but so far...nothing after 2 classes of high volume shooting.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I think Echo Nine Three has the best AK mount out there. If you dont mind drilling any holes. It can also be mounted directly to MLOK slots or AMD-65 handguards.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top