Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/26/2022 5:22:18 AM EDT
If a person wants to put an optic on an AK, do they typically go low power variable power optic, or a red dot or something similar to a red dot?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Red dots. Engagement distance with a 545/556 ak is a bit better than a 762, but from my experience lpvo are for those with bad eyes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a aimpoint pro on mine that seems nice. i also almost put a PA 3x prism 7.62x39 on it instead but that ended up on my sks.   would recommend both
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Lvpo seems like overkill for 7.62 to me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red dots. Engagement distance with a 545/556 ak is a bit better than a 762, but from my experience lpvo are for those with bad eyes.
View Quote

I don't know if I qualify as having bad eyes in this situation. I'm near-sighted (see fine up close) but wear glasses for distance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lvpo seems like overkill for 7.62 to me.
View Quote

Due to trajectory or accuracy?

It seems 7.62 can go out to 400 yards if a person is good at estimating distance.

There are some AK/ammo combinations that'll do 2.5 MOA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Primary arms 1x or 3x microprisms are the way to go for an Ak.  I had a 3x on mine but don’t foresee any shots more than 125yds or so, so I went to the 1x.  I don’t see the advantage or point of a lvpo on a 7.62 Ak.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Primary arms 1x or 3x microprisms are the way to go for an Ak.  I had a 3x on mine but don’t foresee any shots more than 125yds or so, so I went to the 1x.  I don’t see the advantage or point of a lvpo on a 7.62 Ak.
View Quote

@Honda4828 : Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]
What caliber are you using? If you're using 7.62x39, you'll only get expansion to about 200m with the best bullets. A red dot with a magnifier should be sufficient. A 16" 5.56mm can easily frag or expand to 400m, and the 77gr TMK will exceed 500. A scope would be appropriate. You can't really get non-varmint 5.45x39 bullets that expand or frag anymore.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What caliber are you using? If you're using 7.62x39, you'll only get expansion to about 200m with the best bullets. A red dot with a magnifier should be sufficient. A 16" 5.56mm can easily frag or expand to 400m, and the 77gr TMK will exceed 500. A scope would be appropriate. You can't really get non-varmint 5.45x39 bullets that expand or frag anymore.
View Quote

@Random_Pickle

7.62x39
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@Random_Pickle

7.62x39
View Quote

A dot should be sufficient, but you could look into the Kahles K16i with the SM1 reticle. It should be the most usable with 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Eye relief is the issue with *most* LPVOs and AK mounts.    There are exceptions but most setups will require a longer stock.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Eye relief is the issue with *most* LPVOs and AK mounts.    There are exceptions but most setups will require a longer stock.
View Quote

@Mrgunsngear

Thanks, and thanks for all you do to help us.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the posts, all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have AKs set up with red dots, acogs and a lpvo. I think for most applications red dot makes the most sense. But lpvo with offset red dot makes for a very utilitarian rifle set up imo. Positive target ID is a very important aspect of rifle use
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote for LPVO. That extra little bit of magnification really starts to help with target ID and general accuracy at 50 yards and beyond. Can you make a RDS work? Absolutely! But I do notice a slight edge with having just a little bit more magnification.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I vote for LPVO. That extra little bit of magnification really starts to help with target ID and general accuracy at 50 yards and beyond. Can you make a RDS work? Absolutely! But I do notice a slight edge with having just a little bit more magnification.
View Quote

How's your eyesight?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Micro prism is my new favorite. Small, light, just a useful amount of magnification.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Holosun 503c's on my AK's, small and light weight and fits the rifle well. Attero mounts or RS Regulate side mounts, they both work well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If a person wants to put an optic on an AK, do they typically go low power variable power optic, or a red dot or something similar to a red dot?
View Quote

Way too vague a question. What exactly is the application of the firearm? Trunk gun? Apocalypse? Run and Gun competition? Hunting for medium game under a hundred yards? Over 100 yards? Urban conflict under a hundred yards? Casual bench shooting for one, two three four hundred yard berm targets?

I have CompM4s on my SBR Draco's for TEOTWAWKI. But pretty much 4X LPVOs on any other 762x39 rifle for casual range shooting (Galil, SKS, M70B1).  I plan to go hog hunting one day and would probably use one of my Draco's. So I would deem appropriate for short mid range shooting in a forest or field.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I put primary arms 2.5x or 3x prisms on mine. Prisms let me shoot with out having to wearing my prescription glasses and still see clearly. RDS the dot winds up looking like a hazy version of the predators 3 dot laser sight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Most people I’ve seen do red dots; I have seen a couple of LPVOs and fixed power prisms.

This question is entirely user preference. There is nothing wrong with an LPVO or prism on an AK - maybe your target is only 100 yards away but is hiding behind something solid and not presenting a classic IPSC silhouette. I’ve taken my AK to 300 yards during competition and was able to make hits; people have this idea that either short barrels or lower precision weapons somehow don't need magnification.

As has been stated you will want a mounting solution that positions the optic correctly. RS Regulate makes good side mounts, people have also had success with the TWS Dogleg rail.

Red dots (and magnifiers) are also a great option. In fact I use a red dot, I had an Aimpoint micro on an Ultimak gas tube rail for a while which I used for said 300yd shot. Eventually I will move to a TWS railed dust cover so I can also use my magnifier.

In general I think most people either consider the AK a close range weapon only, or haven’t fully utilized the aftermarket optic mounting solutions so they go with a simple red dot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got a master mount with a primary arms micro prism and like it a lot. The mount has an acog mount cut into the pic rail so you can use a wide range of optics and get a good low mount. I would put the quality on par with any rs regulate or Midwest mount. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has a good cheek weld with standard ak stocks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Hi Lux 7.62 1-4x scope on one of my converted Saigas. For most of my uses, the red dot works perfectly. I've used PROs, Holosun and Sig on them to great use. I wouldn't mind having the LPVO if I were wandering around with the AK and didn't know what threats I might face. It also helps with identifying things at distance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Most people I’ve seen do red dots; I have seen a couple of LPVOs and fixed power prisms.

This question is entirely user preference. There is nothing wrong with an LPVO or prism on an AK - maybe your target is only 100 yards away but is hiding behind something solid and not presenting a classic IPSC silhouette. I’ve taken my AK to 300 yards during competition and was able to make hits; people have this idea that either short barrels or lower precision weapons somehow don't need magnification.

As has been stated you will want a mounting solution that positions the optic correctly. RS Regulate makes good side mounts, people have also had success with the TWS Dogleg rail.

Red dots (and magnifiers) are also a great option. In fact I use a red dot, I had an Aimpoint micro on an Ultimak gas tube rail for a while which I used for said 300yd shot. Eventually I will move to a TWS railed dust cover so I can also use my magnifier.

In general I think most people either consider the AK a close range weapon only, or haven’t fully utilized the aftermarket optic mounting solutions so they go with a simple red dot.
View Quote

@InvertedDeparture

Thanks for the great post.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got a master mount with a primary arms micro prism and like it a lot. The mount has an acog mount cut into the pic rail so you can use a wide range of optics and get a good low mount. I would put the quality on par with any rs regulate or Midwest mount. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has a good cheek weld with standard ak stocks.
View Quote

big fan of AK master myself.  Recent picture of the same combo below...do you have the 1x or 3x micro?
thought about picking up a 3x, but I can't seem to get away from the seemingly unlimited eye relief of the 1x.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

big fan of AK master myself.  Recent picture of the same combo below...do you have the 1x or 3x micro?
thought about picking up a 3x, but I can't seem to get away from the seemingly unlimited eye relief of the 1x.

https://i.imgur.com/8sspKsq.jpg
View Quote

3x, I got one for my ruger ranch in 7.62 as well

With a 50 yard zero on standard ammo the first hash on the bdc is spot on for brown bear subs

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top