Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/18/2009 11:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RS39]
Does anyone know of a left handed (sling mount on the right side to accomodate a left handed shooter) lower handguard retainer for an AK?
It seems like someone would make that,

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats a tough order.  Since its creation the AK has been specifically a right handed shooter weapon so altering or finding a left-handed part are pretty slim.  Some of the multi-purpose tactical slings might be adaptable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Wondered the same thing myself.  Any way, this is what I'm going with:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=81
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen or heard of such a critter.  

If you run some sort of handguard with a rail you could always add a swivel to that side or drill your handguard and add an Uncle Mikes type stud to attach one.  If you can weld or have someone that can you could add another snap point to the other side.  You also could just use some para-cord to add a spot.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I also purchased a sling with the wire attachment and it is better, but still not great.
I have a Tapco sidefloding stock on my gun (REALLY want to change out the furniture to KVAR) and I dremeled out (really sloppy-like) a sling attachment point on the right side so I have that end covered, just need to figure out a solution for the front so the gun isn't constantly twisting on me. Anyone that is a decent metalworker could probably make some cash coming up with something like that. I'm sure I'm not the only lefty out there looking for a solution.

On a side not - I think AK's and many guns for that matter are very lefty friendly. It is much easier to run the bolt on an AK with your right hand while maintaining a firing grip with your left. Also, I think my Remington 870 is super easy to charge. I keep the mag tube loaded on an empty chamber. I can grab the gun by the reciever trigger guard area and simultaneously release the slide lock while shouldering the gun, and running the pump with my right hand. I think their are alot of great advantages for leftys on many guns, just no aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
On the same note, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to weld another loop onto the right side of the handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Need one myself.
IF I have time over the weekend I will see if I can knock a couple out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#8]
This was my solution on an Arsenal A1R.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]

That seems like the ideal setup. I just started looking around at sling swivels. How did you mount them onto the stock and the handguard?
Nice rifle
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By guitarguy01:

That seems like the ideal setup. I just started looking around at sling swivels. How did you mount them onto the stock and the handguard?
Nice rifle

The handguard is easy.  You just have to drill the proper sized holes, then bolt it to the heat sheild.  You'll probably have to clearance the bolt so it doesn't touch the barrel, but it's not a big deal with a dremel. Be careful with the positioning of the heat shield, so you can get the dang thing back on (ask me how I know!).
The rear is a little trickier, a spacer will be needed so that the swivel will mount about 2mm higher than the surface of the stock, some of those nylon spacers at Lowe's work well (hardware section).  You will also have to countersink the bolt on the other side (under the stock sling mount) so the stock hardware will fit flush. If you do it right, the swivel mount will sit between the "legs" of the stock sling mount and is very secure (you'll see when you take the whole mess apart).

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I did the above on a couple of rifles with the syn handguards. I made a washer for the inside to give it alittle more support and mounted the stud between the ridges. Just dont want that setup with the wood handguards.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Edwin
Thanks for the reply.
A few quick questions - It sounds like the swivel in the buttstock is attached by a bolt that runs all the way through the stock and is then pushed out far enough to work by a plastic spacer on the swivel side, correct? If so the bolt that goes all the way through the stock is hidden by the original sling mount on that side of the stock, right?

Thanks in advance.
I've been trying to figure out a solution to being left handed for a while now, and your's makes alot of sense
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#13]
Edwin
Thanks for the reply.
A few quick questions - It sounds like the swivel in the buttstock is attached by a bolt that runs all the way through the stock and is then pushed out far enough to work by a plastic spacer on the swivel side, correct? If so the bolt that goes all the way through the stock is hidden by the original sling mount on that side of the stock, right?

Thanks in advance.
I've been trying to figure out a solution to being left handed for a while now, and your's makes alot of sense

That is correct, the nut and bolt that threads onto it are covered by the sling mount.
While it's a little worrisome when you first drill that hole through your new Warsaw Pact length stock, just be careful.  Measure 5 times, drill once.
I'm a nut about a proper sling setup, and a rifle without a sling is just a range toy.
After adding a proper sling setup, this has become one of my "go to rifles".

Here's a view of the other side, I eliminated the loop for the sling, but left the mount in place.

On my M92 with wood handguard I used a different method.
I just bolted a sling swivel in place on both the front handguard and the rear folding stock and I have been thrilled with the utility of it.
Both are free to turn, a little "peening" and some loctite ensure they won't loosen up.

Certainly feel free to message or email me if you have any further questions.

On my older AKs I mounted the slings from the bottom of the front and rear.
It worked OK for a lefty like me but these methods are much better.

[im

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks so much for the ideas and tips.

I'm off to try to find all the parts I need to make this happen.
I'll put up some pics when I get it all together.

There should be a sticky for all things LEFT HANDED!

Great collection you have there as well!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
There should be a sticky for all things LEFT HANDED!

That would be a great idea, more left handed shooters out there than is generally realized.

Thanks for the compliments, the Valmet is from 1985, the Norinco from 1992.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]
So I got the sling swivels installed. A huge thanks to Edwin for the inspiration and tips. Mine don't look as pretty as yours, but they're in there and not coming loose. What a difference! This must be what it is like to be right handed. The rifle hangs perfectly, It is easy to adjust and easy to mount the gun from a patrol style carry. Fantastic.
It was a bit tricky - had to cut down the front bolt to ensure it wasn't hitting the barrel or the gas tube. Also, I didn't have the right size drill bit so used a Dremel for quite a few steps of the process!

One thing I learned after spending $34 at a gun store for the 1 1/4 inch swivels and a complete other set of 1 inch swivels with the studs.... go to Walmart! Total cost would have been about $16. I just never thought Walmart would have those (especially the 1 1/4 inch ones)

I'm going to take it out shooting tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to using the sling some more and getting comfortable with being comfortable. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.
Thanks again Edwin!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know of a left handed (sling mount on the right side to accomodate a left handed shooter) lower handguard retainer for an AK?
It seems like someone would make that,

Thanks in advance

i would make one, but thats just me
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]
This is how the sling is currently mounted on my Arsenal SLR-101:

It's an A&P Mechanic's Keyring from Countycomm.  Basically a stainless steel cable with threaded ends.  I covered most of it with heat shrink tubing, the connector gets covered with some camo duct tape but I left it exposed for this photo.

The rifle has an Ace stock which folds to the left, so I mounted the included rear sling swivel on the right.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
C'mon guys...you mean nobody thought of this yet?

Various models to fit different different diameter barrels...$13-$17 at Midway.

This is the Model 1052-2, on a Romie G barrel.  I'm still building mine, so I haven't gotten to try this out yet...still trying to get the tension adjusted right on the opposing screws.

Nothing like taking inspiriation from the Cowboy Assault Rifle...the Marlin 336

––Otter
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Wouldn't the operating handle jab you in the back if slung this way?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JumboJim:

Possibly. Your comment JumboJim assumes that you are using the sling for carrying vs. shooting.

If you use the sling for carrying, I fail to see why you need to relocate the sling point (I don't forsee ever needing to unsling my rifle THAT quickly where switching shoulders is necessary). Plus, jabbing as you mentioned might not be that fun.

If you are considering using the sling for shooting, that's another matter entirely. I'm not sure about the inherent accuracy of the rifle necessitating that extra bit of stability. It may help though.... but is it worth it (cost wise)?
-g
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ottergt:
C'mon guys...you mean nobody thought of this yet?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/ottergt/Guns/100_6702.jpg

Various models to fit different different diameter barrels...$13-$17 at Midway.

This is the Model 1052-2, on a Romie G barrel.  I'm still building mine, so I haven't gotten to try this out yet...still trying to get the tension adjusted right on the opposing screws.

Nothing like taking inspiriation from the Cowboy Assault Rifle...the Marlin 336

––Otter

Nice . I've been wondering what to do with that spare part .  
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
This is how the sling is currently mounted on my Arsenal SLR-101:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Kalashnikovs/slr101-front-swivel-1.jpg

It's an A&P Mechanic's Keyring from Countycomm.  Basically a stainless steel cable with threaded ends.  I covered most of it with heat shrink tubing, the connector gets covered with some camo duct tape but I left it exposed for this photo.

The rifle has an Ace stock which folds to the left, so I mounted the included rear sling swivel on the right.

what a GREAT idea!!..just bought 4 of them

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
any more pics for the leftys would be appreciated, they timed out before I got here.  thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I fixed the links on the photos, so they should now come up on my posts.
If anyone has a question about the lefty sling mods don't hesitate to message me.
Edwin
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Which length BFG Universal, the 3 or 6" one?
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow, I've never heard of the barrel band swivel. I'm going to pick a few of those up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#31]
How about a mount for a single point bungie sling for a Lefty?
Anyone have any Ideas?
Right now on my 74 I have some 550 cord around the stock right behind the rear trunion, with a loop in it.
I just clip the sling into the loop. Hangs pretty decent, but a bit low.

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the right side of the receiver ( just in front of the rear trunion)
And putting in a push button female part for the QD swivels.
Not really wanting to drill up my receiver yet tho.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bjonesgtaw] [#32]
made my own from an AMD 65 lower HG retainer. this what still in the rough, it looks better now. takes allot of grinding and hand filing

im also modifying my rear trunnion for a left handed underfolding mechanism.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is a good DIY solution.

http://www.echo93.com/#!how-to
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]
The AK isn't a right-hand only rifle as some would think.  As a left-handed person I find that I can operate the AK with the exception of the safety better than a right-handed person.  Both the Yugo models and the Galil models better serve left handed shooters with the Galils having a bolt handle that's accessible by either handed shooter and the Yugo sling mount is capable of being flipped/rotated to the other side for a left handed person.  As far as after market stuff, rails and sling mounts tend to work just fine.  I hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I use one of the BFG mounts on my AR-180. I'll probably do the same on the front of my AK. https://www.nettac.com/mobile/product.asp?itemid=80
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Is there any reason why a lefty couldn't use a sling swivel from the stock and screw it onto the lower handguard??  I've been considering it for a while but haven't gotten around to experimenting with the idea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I did it with a WASR underfolder and it seemed to work fairly well.

Link Posted: 3/6/2012 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I used paracord

Made a notch in the grip to tie and fit the cord to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]
took the lower HG retainer i modified a few posts above and did a lil dremeling to my underfolding trunnion before i assembled my rifle and i got this. completely left handed sling setup that looks factory

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
After talking to OtterGt, I decided to go the Magnum Barrel Band mount too.

It took a while due to backordering, but finally got mine from Optics Planet for about $15. Took no time to install. Wish I had done it sooner. Easy fix for the rifle and makes the sling alot better.

As far as my rear sling swivel, I built my own modeled after AMD65 Tech's sling swivel for his folding stocks. I took some pipe clamp material and fitted it to my rifle and added some padded tape and painted it black. Seems to hold up well.

Appreciate the ideas and support on this forum.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JumboJim:
View Quote

It's  that  or  the  scope .
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]
this for the rearmount and a loop of paracord from the front sling mount run between the gas tube and barrel.  I use a sling with HK style clips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I myself am a left handed guitar player. Unlike guitars, guns can be and should be set up ambidextrous.  
My AK features Magpul furniture. I have QDs on both sides of the rifle. I could not be happier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents as a lefty.  I use to get worked-up trying to find the best lefty solution.  I found para-cord is your friend.  I attach it to the right side sling point & just slip it between the gas tube and barrel.  I also haven't notice any melting of the para-cord from the barrel heating-up.

For the rear, you want the sling attached to the left side of the stock so it lays flat while hanging from your body (at least that's what I've been told by those that know).  Here a couple of my rifles set-up for lefty use.  

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top