Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 5:52:31 PM EDT
Just ordered a KP-9 the other day. While I wait on them to ship, I'm trying to determine what the options are for braces or stocks and what mount options there are.

SBR'd my Scorpion and am liking the Zhukov stock I put on it. Also like looks  of Magpul COE stock for AK.

What are other options and what's mounting options?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't jumped into the KP-9 yet myself, but I had a wild hair and looked into all this, primarily from a SBR perspective but braces share the mounting systems.

The KP-9 uses a 5.5mm AK folding stock trunnion with a locking post on the front left of the receiver.

So what options does this leave us with?  The most basic are Vityaz-style triangle stocks and triangle braces.  These mount directly to the 5.5mm trunnion, fold to the left, and lock onto the post.

You can go more tacticool if you want, but you will give up locking the stock when folded, unless your stock/brace option has a tensioned hinge in it.  Anyway, the first option is the RSA-5.5 from JMac Customs.  That gives you a 1913 stock rail and all the options there.  Sig MCX/MPX stocks and braces, the SB Tactical 1913 brace, etc.  There's also a 5.5mm adapter for AR stock tubes.  Put on your choice of receiver tube or pistol extension with the appropriate stock or brace, and you're all set.

Hopefully that helps.  I'd personally go the KP-9 route, SBR it, then put on the classic triangle stock.  If the world doesn't end this year, I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

So what options does this leave us with?  The most basic are Vityaz-style triangle stocks and triangle braces.  These mount directly to the 5.5mm trunnion, fold to the left, and lock onto the post.

You can go more tacticool if you want, but you will give up locking the stock when folded, unless your stock/brace option has a tensioned hinge in it.  Anyway, the first option is the RSA-5.5 from JMac Customs.  That gives you a 1913 stock rail and all the options there.  Sig MCX/MPX stocks and braces, the SB Tactical 1913 brace, etc.  There's also a 5.5mm adapter for AR stock tubes.  Put on your choice of receiver tube or pistol extension with the appropriate stock or brace, and you're all set.

Hopefully that helps.  I'd personally go the KP-9 route, SBR it, then put on the classic triangle stock.  If the world doesn't end this year, I'll consider it.
View Quote

I would recommend the TDI unit over the limited selection you posted if you intend to brace it. They can be found here:

https://www.tdi-arms.com/product/t74-5-5/
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would recommend the TDI unit over the limited selection you posted if you intend to brace it. They can be found here:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ha, thanks for the extra thoughts.  That looks like a solid tube, TDI makes good stuff.  My list was not intended to be exhaustive, just sharing what I had found on an initial search.

I do not personally care for braces, so the options I found satisfied my curiosity.  As I said, I would SBR it and use the triangle stock.  Tacticool stocks and all that jazz aren't my cup of tea with AKs.  "Nyet! Rifle is fine!"
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ha, thanks for the extra thoughts.  That looks like a solid tube, TDI makes good stuff.  My list was not intended to be exhaustive, just sharing what I had found on an initial search.

I do not personally care for braces, so the options I found satisfied my curiosity.  As I said, I would SBR it and use the triangle stock.  Tacticool stocks and all that jazz aren't my cup of tea with AKs.  "Nyet! Rifle is fine!"
View Quote

If I rephrased it, I could have spared your feelings... but then neither of us would have learned anything from the exchange.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently added the Kalash USA folding triangle brace to my Vityaz.  It actually works really well.  Latches as a factory "stock" would when closed and installs cleanly and easily with a single punch.  If you are putting a brace on, its really a no-brainer.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently added the Kalash USA folding triangle brace to my Vityaz.  It actually works really well.  Latches as a factory "stock" would when closed and installs cleanly and easily with a single punch.  If you are putting a brace on, its really a no-brainer.

View Quote

There is some history of that brace that most are not aware of. Its basically an abortion of a brace from what it was originally suppose to be, all because there failed attempt to built the adapter angle correctly. At Shot show 2020 it had the much better looking PSA/SBT brace with an incorrectly made 5.5 adapter, and one of there latches screwed to it way up high on the brace. At the time it would barely latch.  Still it looked pretty good though! Instead of keeping the lines of the PSA/SBT brace, and just correcting the angle of the actual adapter they made a completely new mold  and added the hump so that they could place the latch so that it could actually latch. Now people are stuck with a Triangle brace that has an extremely steep angle on a gun that's suppose to resemble a Vityaz clone when all they had to do was correct the adapter angle. When it came to the brace they basically overlooked the basics to come up with something uglier but works. During the pre order after Shot Show people were expecting what they say seen from Shot Show. During the last couple of week before they started shipping they posted pics of the new brace & alot of people canceled there orders. People finally got over it though and just got used to it.

This is something I did a few months before they released there brace.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is some history of that brace that most are not aware of. Its basically an abortion of a brace from what it was originally suppose to be, all because there failed attempt to built the adapter angle correctly. At Shot show 2020 it had the much better looking PSA/SBT brace with an incorrectly made 5.5 adapter, and one of there latches screwed to it way up high on the brace. At the time it would barely latch.  Still it looked pretty good though! Instead of keeping the lines of the PSA/SBT brace, and just correcting the angle of the actual adapter they made a completely new mold  and added the hump so that they could place the latch so that it could actually latch. Now people are stuck with a Triangle brace that has an extremely steep angle on a gun that's suppose to resemble a Vityaz clone when all they had to do was correct the adapter angle. When it came to the brace they basically overlooked the basics to come up with something uglier but works. During the pre order after Shot Show people were expecting what they say seen from Shot Show. During the last couple of week before they started shipping they posted pics of the new brace & alot of people canceled there orders. People finally got over it though and just got used to it.

This is something I did a few months before they released there brace.

https://i.imgur.com/3xm9Q8U.jpg

View Quote

Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing. And yes, I was not aware.  That was a silly move by KUSA.

I'm still pretty happy with mine. though.  I've just started my customization....waiting on a few parts from Mother Russia.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good. Love seeing my sling mount solutions out there!  They are definitely an improvement. Now i just need to free up the CNC's so that I can make more braces!

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top