Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2022 8:00:46 PM EDT
Hey Arfcom,

So I'm doing the KNS piston install on a PSA GF3. The factory pin which retains the piston is not welded, appears to just be an extremely tight press fit.

Here's the issue: I was able to get it to drift about 1/6 of the way out with a center punch, no drilling needed to get it started. But it's become immovable from there, no amount of strikes from a dead blow hammer + punch will move it any further.

Should I (carefully) just drill it out bit by bit to see if removing material will make it easier to drive loose? This is the most stubborn pin I've ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
Get it in or on a solid fixture and use a heavier hammer before you start drilling.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
Get it in or on a solid fixture and use a heavier hammer before you start drilling.
View Quote
I had it chucked up in a vice with nylon jaws squeezing the carrier and a nylon block supporting the piston stem. Dead blow is 24oz.

How heavy a hammer are we talking? I'm game to try whatever.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
To close this out/in case it's helpful to anyone else down the road. I used a 3/32 cobalt bit and carefully removed material from the pin. Once about half of the pin was drilled out, the rest broke free with a punch and heavy ball peen hammer.

No damage to the carrier or factory piston and the KNS piston threaded in without resistance. Quite a bit of slop with the KNS roll pin but it's well undersized vs the factory pin and doesn't take any force, so I'm not worried about that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you got it fixed. I thought we were supposed to drill out existing pin about 1/4-1/2 way from both sides?  

I've only done one KNS install (M92 pistol) and the video I watched said to do this to give metal some place to move to as you hammer it out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
Glad you got it fixed. I thought we were supposed to drill out existing pin about 1/4-1/2 way from both sides?  

I've only done one KNS install (M92 pistol) and the video I watched said to do this to give metal some place to move to as you hammer it out.
View Quote
With the caveat that my AK knowledge is elementary, I think it falls under "it depends".

Some people have been able to just drive the sucker out like a normal roll pin on an AR. Others have to drill out a little bit. Others have to drill out the whole thing. Some are welded in place, some are peened over a bit then ground flush, etc.

Mine was not budging without being drilled out. A hydraulic press would have motivated it but I don't have one sitting around
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top