Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2019 6:54:14 PM EDT
Are the KAK Shockwave Dimples Strong Enough for 7.62x39 recoil ?
Should I drill them deeper; or even drill through so the whole diameter of the set screw is
taking the energy of the recoil, not just the tip?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no lawyer, but my thoughts are that if you performed that modification, it would go to show intent that you meant to use the brace as a stock.  Thats the line between legal braced pistol and illegal unregistered SBR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Shockwave is fine, comrade.

I'd bet the recoil would dislocate your shoulder before it damages the dimples on the tube.

But if that's a concern, or if you want something more solid to bust down a door or mortar on the ground, one of the adjustable shockwaves may be sturdier.

I had one on a Draco pistol and an AR pistol in 7.62x39, I later replaced them with adj. braces but neither showed any wear or deformation on the dimples.

Not sure if drilling thru would be better. That screw should still be exerting pressure against the tube to keep the brace solid, if you drill thru you'd probably have to thread the tube, other wise there's no tension on the set screw and it could easily back itself out, unless you used Loctite. But still no guarantee it wouldn't work it's way loose. At that point I think I'd put a spacer in the buffer tube and tap/thread that.

never heard of any issues with Shockwave dimples getting worn/damaged...
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a KAK Shockwave blade on my mini Draco.  I put locktite on the set screw, no issues so far.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top