Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2019 1:40:53 AM EDT
So, I just got this Norinco SKS from my FFL buddy for $250. She sat in police evidence for 17 years. She had some rust, mostly on the charging handle and rear of the dust cover, which I cleaned off fairly easily with steel wool. Hardest thing to clean was the evidence tape off of the stock.

Anyways, I need some help getting the correct bayonet. I tried taking a spike bayonet off of another Norinco SKS he had and it was too long. It appears that my stock has one pin in the forend.

So, do I need the shorter spike bayonet or the blade bayonet? I can take more pics if needed.

Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
spike is norinco, blade is yugo.

If that's a Norinco find a long spike and rig it up, I've got one in my safe just like yours that's all complete and matching, bought it in cosmolene in 1994'ish
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If that's a Norinco find a long spike and rig it up, I've got one in my safe just like yours that's all complete and matching, bought it in cosmolene in 1994'ish
View Quote
So just buy a long spike and shorten it? Damn, wish I had thought of that. I wouldn't have to buy a bayonet if I knew that.

I checked all the serial numbers and everything matches. The other SKS he had was missing the magazine, but had the bayonet. It also had a darker stock with plastic upper handguard. Seemed like it was in rougher shape.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the pointed tip of the spike bayonets. The angle is easy to reproduce if you end up chopping and grind one down. You may have to fudge it a bit due to the girth at the chop line.

Have you tried WD-40 on the sticky tape residue? That trick has worked for me in the past when removing stickers/decals off of my truck.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Also... That's a nice looking score! I remember buying new SKSs for 65.00 and 30rds of brown paper wrapped ammo (on stripper clips) for 1.25 back in the day. The Cowboy/Paratrooper models cost 89.00.
I sure do wish that I had known then what I know now...
I'd have bought one every payday and put it up in storage.

I miss the good old days! H&Ks were plentiful and not too far out of line pricewise. I once bought an HK 94A2 w/3 German 30rd mags for 750.00 and an Israeli Uzi for 450.00 w/2 mags. The '80s were good times!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look at the pointed tip of the spike bayonets. The angle is easy to reproduce if you end up chopping and grind one down. You may have to fudge it a bit due to the girth at the chop line.

Have you tried WD-40 on the sticky tape residue? That trick has worked for me in the past when removing stickers/decals off of my truck.
View Quote
After scraping the tape off with a finger nail for an hour, I used soap and hot water. It's all cleaned off. Lol
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also... That's a nice looking score! I remember buying new SKSs for 65.00 and 30rds of brown paper wrapped ammo (on stripper clips) for 1.25 back in the day. The Cowboy/Paratrooper models cost 89.00.

I miss the good old days! H&Ks were plentiful and not too far out of line pricewise. I once bought an HK 94A2 w/3 German 30rd mags for 750.00 and an Israeli Uzi for 450.00 w/2 mags. The '80s were good times!
View Quote
Thank you! Once I get the cleaning rod and bayonet, I will take some post cleanup pics.

Oh, I know. I wish I bought AK, Mosins, and SKS rifles on the cheap. Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
You should put a side folding stock on it.

(Kidding, seriously don't do that)
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you! Once I get the cleaning rod and bayonet, I will take some post cleanup pics.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BushmasterGuy77
I have a bayonet and cleaning rod from a norinco sks I no longer own, Im me if interested Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should put a side folding stock on it.

(Kidding, seriously don't do that)
View Quote
Yuck. No bubba guns allowed in my house.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
My Norinco bought new, full of cosmoline, in the early 90's, came with a blade bayonet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Norinco bought new, full of cosmoline, in the early 90's, came with a blade bayonet.
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ditto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto
Mine as well.

The cutout under the stock/hand guard cap along with the bottom of forend will tell. If the hand guard cap  has a v notch, it’s a blade bayo. The spike bayo had a wider cutout.

Also. Steel wool? Be careful. I’d have just used a solvent or oil. Abrasives are bad for blue.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice score!  For $250 you stole it!

Check out Yooper John's website for SKS info.  
Here's a page that shows bayonet variances for Chicom SKSs.  Several sizes of bayonets were made.  You can find them for $20+ on Ebay or Gunbroker.  
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-19.htm

This photo shows the differences between the stock notches for bayonets.  
- no notch (for bayonet)
- pig-sticker
- blade
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks! I just found that page and it looks like I need a blade bayonet. Standby for pics.

Quoted:
Nice score!  For $250 you stole it!

Check out Yooper John's website for SKS info.  
Here's a page that shows bayonet variances for Chicom SKSs.  Several sizes of bayonets were made.  You can find them for $20+ on Ebay or Gunbroker.  
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-19.htm

This photo shows the differences between the stock notches for bayonets.  
- no notch (for bayonet)
- pig-sticker
- blade
https://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2010/11/SKSDstocks2-1.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I thought I needed a blade bayonet. I was told that the single pin in the forend was an indication of that. I already ordered a spike bayonet. Oh well.

Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mine as well.

The cutout under the stock/hand guard cap along with the bottom of forend will tell. If the hand guard cap  has a v notch, it’s a blade bayo. The spike bayo had a wider cutout.

Also. Steel wool? Be careful. I’d have just used a solvent or oil. Abrasives are bad for blue.
View Quote
I was super careful. The weapon was bone dry and I used the ultra fine stuff. Came out great. There was a spot on the rear dust cover where the rust was too thick for solvents alone to remove.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, Plenty of Norinco SKS's came with Blade bayonets, op post some photos of the area of the stock where the bayonet would rest.
Yes op, you need a blade bayonet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Sino-Soviet SKS have the blade bayonet 1956-1965

But that stock does not look original.

is there a serial number on the butt stock?

how about a sling attach point on the side of the butt stock.

The sino soviet would also be all milled, that looks stamped maybe made for export?

what are the markings on it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sino-Soviet SKS have the blade bayonet 1956-1965

But that stock does not look original.

is there a serial number on the butt stock?

how about a sling attach point on the side of the butt stock.

The sino soviet would also be all milled, that looks stamped maybe made for export?

what are the markings on it?
View Quote
I'm fairly certain my father had this same commercial model with a blade bayonet.

No serial on buttstock.

No side sling swivel.

I'll take pics of the markings.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So just buy a long spike and shorten it? Damn, wish I had thought of that. I wouldn't have to buy a bayonet if I knew that.

I checked all the serial numbers and everything matches. The other SKS he had was missing the magazine, but had the bayonet. It also had a darker stock with plastic upper handguard. Seemed like it was in rougher shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta: nm, looks like you found what you needed
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ditto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto
Mine had a spike, didnt know they made them differently
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
You have a mid production Type 56 SKS made at the Jianshe Arsenal in Chongqing, China.  With it being made at Arsenal 26 it can be dated to year.  No other arsenal can be dated for certainty.  Without even looking at the serial number or arsenal you can tell it's a transitional gun.  The trigger group body is stamped, and it looks to have a short shanked type 2 barrel. More than likely the rear sight is marked with a 3 possibly an "E" be I highly doubt it has a Russian made "n".   The forearm band is cut for a cruciform (spike) bayonet.  The stock is cut for what appears to be a blade bayonet.  What you have is a fine shooter.  Clean it up, shoot it, and enjoy it.

Someone mentioned the spike vs blade for countries.  Albania was the only country to only use a spike bayonet.  China used both a spike and blade.  Every other country, Russia, DDR, PRK, Yugoslavia, etc. only used a blade type.  Even the first SKS's that were fielded against the Germans in WWII had blades. "EDIT" There's conflicting info on WWII SKS's.  My source for Russian info stated only blades on actual SKS's that were fielded.

Another interesting post was about the receiver.  It is clearly a milled receiver.  China was the only country to toy with the stamped receiver and this is for sure not one of them.  They are rather rare and there is no legit info on them, like almost all info on Chinese made guns, only speculation (kinda like the fiberglass "jungle stocks").  Having owned a few stamped receivered SKS's over the years and still having one in a safe, I believe they were an experiment by China.  A "just how cheap can we do it" type.  I think they tried it when we were importing them by the cargo ship full and found it cost more to do a stamped one.  I've never seen them outside of the US not even in Canada where Norinco SKS's and fresh ammo come in daily.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine had a spike, didnt know they made them differently
View Quote
There are two different types of bayonet for the SKS.  The Blade type and the Cruciform or Spike type.  Within those two are several variations.  All the short "para" types are commercial and never adopted into any countries service.  Also, bayonets that are riveted rather than screwed onto the mounts are supposed to be commercial.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, thank you for this info! Mine has the Russian "n" on the rear sight.

Quoted:
You have a mid production Type 56 SKS made at the Jianshe Arsenal in Chongqing, China.  With it being made at Arsenal 26 it can be dated to year.  No other arsenal can be dated for certainty.  Without even looking at the serial number or arsenal you can tell it's a transitional gun.  The trigger group body is stamped, and it looks to have a short shanked type 2 barrel. More than likely the rear sight is marked with a 3 possibly an "E" be I highly doubt it has a Russian made "n".   The forearm band is cut for a cruciform (spike) bayonet.  The stock is cut for what appears to be a blade bayonet.  What you have is a fine shooter.  Clean it up, shoot it, and enjoy it.

Someone mentioned the spike vs blade for countries.  Albania was the only country to only use a spike bayonet.  China used both a spike and blade.  Every other country, Russia, DDR, PRK, Yugoslavia, etc. only used a blade type.  Even the first SKS's that were fielded against the Germans in WWII had blades.

Another interesting post was about the receiver.  It is clearly a milled receiver.  China was the only country to toy with the stamped receiver and this is for sure not one of them.  They are rather rare and there is no legit info on them, like almost all info on Chinese made guns, only speculation (kinda like the fiberglass "jungle stocks").  Having owned a few stamped receivered SKS's over the years and still having one in a safe, I believe they were an experiment by China.  A "just how cheap can we do it" type.  I think they tried it when we were importing them by the cargo ship full and found it cost more to do a stamped one.  I've never seen them outside of the US not even in Canada where Norinco SKS's and fresh ammo come in daily.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, thank you for this info! Mine has the Russian "n" on the rear sight.
View Quote
Oh, cool beans.  Chinese SKS's are some of the most mysterious and interesting ones out there.  They're almost like finger prints and snowflakes (not liberals).
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm quickly learning that. Lol

Quoted:

Oh, cool beans.  Chinese SKS's are some of the most mysterious and interesting ones out there.  They're almost like finger prints and snowflakes (not liberals).
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#28]
@TnMike

Sorry to summon you, but one last question. I found a "Russian" blade bayonet on ebay, complete with all mounting hardware. Will I need to buy Chinese bayonet hardware to mount this or should it work as is? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@TnMike

Sorry to summon you, but one last question. I found a "Russian" blade bayonet on ebay, complete with all mounting hardware. Will I need to buy Chinese bayonet hardware to mount this or should it work as is? Thanks!
View Quote
It should work without any major issues. As old as yours is, and it being an Arsenal 26, the mount should be threaded and be threaded to the same pitch as a Russian.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Based on Yoopers, that is a factory 26 14 million serial number gun circa 1970.

the fact that the stock is for a blade bayonet is very unusual because Yoppers says they stopped the blade and went to the spike bayonet in 1966.

But it has the 'n' site ladder which is supposed to be an early chinese  site mark.

So unique for sure.

Hard to tell if it is all original and was a transition gun with what ever parts they had for the commercial market ot if somebody changed the site ladder and the stock.

Either way it was a steal at $250 and researching what it might be is lots of fun.

It was the reason why I started collecting SKSs, but didn't get to far as the prices started to surge upwards.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#31]
It's reallly interesting. Makes me want another! Lol

Quoted:
Based on Yoopers, that is a factory 26 14 million serial number gun circa 1970.

the fact that the stock is for a blade bayonet is very unusual because Yoppers says they stopped the blade and went to the spike bayonet in 1966.

But it has the 'n' site ladder which is supposed to be an early chinese  site mark.

So unique for sure.

Hard to tell if it is all original and was a transition gun with what ever parts they had for the commercial market ot if somebody changed the site ladder and the stock.

Either way it was a steal at $250 and researching what it might be is lots of fun.

It was the reason why I started collecting SKSs, but didn't get to far as the prices started to surge upwards.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for your help, sir!

Quoted:

It should work without any major issues. As old as yours is, and it being an Arsenal 26, the mount should be threaded and be threaded to the same pitch as a Russian.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I have inbound a Factory 26 #11,462,xxx. Seller says it has the heavy, threaded barrel and its in a very nice jungle stock with Bakelite handguard. Is this an early one?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Checked out Yoopers and it seems to be a 1967 military contract with milled trigger guard. This is interesting - I don't collect, and I bought it to put in a different kind of stock. The bayo is not with it so I figured on grinding down the lug and getting rid of the cleaning rod. I don't want to do the work to remove the sight base in order to get the bayo lug off. My FFL who is going to receive it has a collection of SKS so I guess we'll go over it when it arrives. I don't want to destroy anything collectible but it wasn't expensive, so chances are I will butcher it and sell the stock.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top