AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, sorry to derail your thread, but did you pick your gun up? Any accessories?
View Quote

Pick it up on Friday
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a pic of mine with my SAM7UF Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was getting worried that the one I ordered would work since I couldn;t remember if it had the rear lugs. Would either one fit on the SAM7? I was also looking at the chinese one for around 80 bucks, it looks pretty neat.
@3ACR_Scout
That's some good info you posted and yes, I noticed the steel parts when I was looking at the Bulgi polymers. I think I'm going to order some.
View Quote

When deciding whether a particular bayonet fits your AK, keep in mind there are typically three bayonet mounting systems used on 99% of AKs. AK47s use "teeth" under the FSB to lock bayonets in place. AKMs use a lug on the gas block (AKMs) or under/behind the FSB (AK74s). AK74s also retain their gas block lug, but it's for non-bayonet accessories. Wiegers that had bayonet lugs used a separate barrel-mounted lug. There are also AKs which have a mix of AK47 and AKM attributes, so you would have to look at what style of FSB or gas block is used to determine the mounting system. For example, I have a Bulgarian ISD AKM that uses a stamped AKM receiver, but the rest of the gun is AK47, including the bayonet mount.

Arsenal is an exception to all the rules, making more than 20 different types of AKs. They have always made AKs with milled receivers, except for their AK74s, using a hot-die forging process for their milled receivers. They did however assemble AKMs from Russian parts so you will find rare circle 10 AKMs on stamped receivers. Bulgarian AK74s use stamped receivers. Their AR-M series (in 5.56 and 7.62) use milled receivers.

Some AKs cannot mount a bayonet at all, like the AMD-65 and "Krinks".

AK bayonets essentially come in four flavors: AK47 (6X2 or M1951), AKM Type 1 (6X3 or M1959), AKM Type 2 (6X4 or M1974), and AK-74 (6X5 or 6h5 or M1983).

AK47 bayonets only fit AK47s or hybrid AKs with teeth under the FSB. The only exception I know to this is the AR-M1 bayonet, which is a hybrid design of a Type 4 bayonet with AK47 teeth. AKM Type 1 bayonets only fit AKMs. There is one exception to that as well...some East German and Hungarian AKM Type 1 bayonets were factory modified by having the handle ends milled down to get past the AK74 flash hiders. AKM Type 2 bayonets fit AK74s and AKMs. AK74 bayonets fit AK74s and AKMs.

In the pic below, top-bottom: AK74, AKM Type 2, AKM Type 1, AK47, Chinese spiker (integral to FSB)

North Korean Type 58s (both models) can be used on any AK47s. Type 68 bayonets can be used on any AKM and AK74s. Vietnamese bayonets can be used on AKMs or AK74s.

The Chinese bayonets come in three flavors, AK47 Type 1 M1951 (for use on any AK47), AKM Type 2 (6X4 or M1974) and can be used on any AKM or AK74, and folding. The folding bayonets come in two types - clamp on and integral with the FSB (and Albanian folders, which are actually Chinese type in origin). Chinese Type 81s and 85s are specific to those rifles. As a side note, some Type 81s are modified to fit M1 Carbines - go figure.

You know what, I think I've highjacked enough of OP's thread. I'll probably do a separate post with pics covering all the different mounting systems and bayonet types.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pick it up on Friday
View Quote

Nice. if you get some Circle 10 poly mags, don't pass out when you see how beautifully they fit!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Sooooo beautiful!
How is shooting the underfolder? I'd like to let one now. Now I'm glad I just ordered the bayo after seeing yours.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
@CarlosC
Wow, you certaily posted a headful of info! Looking at those pics made me order the chinese Type 81 even though it probably won't fit. Guess I'll have to get a Chinese AK sometime. I hope fadedsun is getting some good info too.
And it would be pretty cool if you start a thread on bayos, since you have the knowledge and material for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sooooo beautiful!
How is shooting the underfolder? I'd like to let one now. Now I'm glad I just ordered the bayo after seeing yours.
View Quote

The underfolder is a lot of fun especially with the ALG trigger. It’s not as bad as many people say underfolders are. I need to find an optics mount for the SF now. Going to either mount a primary arms advanced micro dot or an Eotech XPs2. Looking at the master mount just can’t pull the trigger yet. Would prefer the new Arsenal mount but they are out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The underfolder is a lot of fun especially with the ALG trigger. It’s not as bad as many people say underfolders are. I need to find an optics mount for the SF now. Going to either mount a primary arms advanced micro dot or an Eotech XPs2. Looking at the master mount just can’t pull the trigger yet. Would prefer the new Arsenal mount but they are out of stock everywhere.
View Quote

I was toying with the idea of getting an optic for mine too, but like you said no Arsenal mounts. No Arsenal anything!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was toying with the idea of getting an optic for mine too, but like you said no Arsenal mounts. No Arsenal anything!
View Quote

I went ahead and got the AKmaster rear biased mount. Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I went ahead and got the AKmaster rear biased mount. Hope it works out.
View Quote

Cool, let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Delayed until Monday

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys are a bad influence. I went and ordered one also from K-Var with the "enhanced trigger" for $1799, plus 2 of the Circle 10 mags for $50 each. Yikes. But I'm worried that it's now or never. I'm getting back into the AK world like a crackhead on a bender.

I've been away from the X39 caliber for 10 years at least and I've been sitting on a few K of X39 with nothing to shoot it in. Mostly Chinese but some Yugo and Russian. Also some Chinese Polytech marked steel mags.

I'm also worried about the LOP (length of pull) on this thing with that weird Jerry-rigged folding stock. I have a similar or identical folding stock adapter on my Romy WASR-3 with a Bulgy triangle folder that I bought around 2004. It works fine, locks tight, but maybe 2" too long for me (I'm 5'10" so maybe you 6'6" gorillas will prefer it.)

I assume it will be possible to replace the folder with a more traditional non-folder in the future if it's too long for my little T-Rex arms?...
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked it up today. It’s a work of art.

I have no ammo

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You guys are a bad influence. I went and ordered one also from K-Var with the "enhanced trigger" for $1799, plus 2 of the Circle 10 mags for $50 each. Yikes. But I'm worried that it's now or never. I'm getting back into the AK world like a crackhead on a bender.

I've been away from the X39 caliber for 10 years at least and I've been sitting on a few K of X39 with nothing to shoot it in. Mostly Chinese but some Yugo and Russian. Also some Chinese Polytech marked steel mags.

I'm also worried about the LOP (length of pull) on this thing with that weird Jerry-rigged folding stock. I have a similar or identical folding stock adapter on my Romy WASR-3 with a Bulgy triangle folder that I bought around 2004. It works fine, locks tight, but maybe 2" too long for me (I'm 5'10" so maybe you 6'6" gorillas will prefer it.)

I assume it will be possible to replace the folder with a more traditional non-folder in the future if it's too long for my little T-Rex arms?...
View Quote

I told myself I didn’t need another AK either. Just couldn’t help myself like you said. The folding stock is probably the best I’ve ever used. It is longer but I have no problem with it and I’m 5’6. If I was wearing armor I’m sure that would be different.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cool, let us know how it works.
View Quote

Got the mount today it’s really nice. I can’t get the top cover off without removing the mount because it sits so low. Definitely feels like quality. I have to take the sling off when installing and removing the side rail. The way the sling mount is on the receiver blocks the path of it. I’m waiting for a low mount to come in for my MRO. Tried my Eotech on there but I’m not doing a chin weld.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My SAM7 arrived today. Looks very nice, high quality. Machining and workmanship looks clean and even. Folding stock closes-opens and locks open solidly with no play. The LOP is a little long but perfectly workable. The muzzle, barrel, and chamber show beautiful clean work and CL.

The finish appears to be a painted-on type that has already chipped away at the magwell from a few gentle mag insertions. The trigger is OK. Certainly better than the typical double-hook full-auto type but I was expecting more from the upgraded trigger. There is also a little play in the gas tube. Yes it has the spring clip thing but still some slight movement. Everything else is rock solid.  Bulgy Circle-10 mags fit tight, one doesnt fit at all. My Chinese Polytech and Hungarian mags fit like a glove.

I will report back when I've had a chance to fire a few rounds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Arsenal SAM7SF REVIEW (The best AK on the market right now?)
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Got to shoot my SF for the first time yesterday and it's officially my favorite AK! It's so buttery smooth and I was surprised how well gassed it is, especially compared to a Galil Ace
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I finally got to shoot the SAM7. Function was 100% and that's the best I can say. Groups were hitting way low at 50 yds, maybe 4-5" low and to the left. I tried to adjust the front sight but that stupid "accessory kit" sight adjuster wouldn't budge the post and simply bent! Windage wouldnt budge either. I was able to kinda get on target (although still low) when I adjusted the rear sight to 300M! Ejection was typical AK with most casings landing about 15' away at about 2 o'clock. The brass was in good shape without the typical dents that other AK's leave on brass/steel.

I had an interesting collection of ammo to try from my ancient stock of X39 ammo. All groups were at 50 yards, 5 shots, open sights. These are just the better groups since some were pure shit but I blame myself (and that horrible trigger).

Old Yugoslavian ball (commercial from the 80's not the corrosive mil-surp stuff) with "IK-85" headstamp printed 2.05", 2.75", 1.80", and 2.35" at 50 yards.

S & B soft point (uk grain but probably 124) printed the best group 1.65"

Old Chinese FMJ from '92 shot pretty good with the best group being 2.20"

Chinese '92 solf point ammo printed the best of 1.75"

Winchester 123gr FMJ sucked with a 3.40" group

Remington R-P FMJ was so bad that I couldnt measure the groups, which were mostly off the paper (to the left again). It's possible that Remy loaded their shit with .308 bullets but know knows.

So far I give my SAM7 a "C-" assuming I can get that front sight adjusted, if not it's going back... The gas-tube/top handguard moves around and the finish will be damaged if you look at it wrong. I was too tired (and disgusted) to clean the gun or look inside for any a-typical wear or damage.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Magnamatic is the best AK sight tool by far, you can really crank on it without breaking it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a sight tool. I’ve used a Tapco one for years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Magnamatic is the best AK sight tool by far, you can really crank on it without breaking it.
View Quote

I ordered one last night. I just hope it gets here fast.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Got the mount today it’s really nice. I can’t get the top cover off without removing the mount because it sits so low. Definitely feels like quality. I have to take the sling off when installing and removing the side rail. The way the sling mount is on the receiver blocks the path of it. I’m waiting for a low mount to come in for my MRO. Tried my Eotech on there but I’m not doing a chin weld.
View Quote

I wondered if the sling mount was going to get in the way when mounting optics. It looked really close to me, I guess I was right, lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I finally got to shoot the SAM7. Function was 100% and that's the best I can say. Groups were hitting way low at 50 yds, maybe 4-5" low and to the left. I tried to adjust the front sight but that stupid "accessory kit" sight adjuster wouldn't budge the post and simply bent! Windage wouldnt budge either. I was able to kinda get on target (although still low) when I adjusted the rear sight to 300M! Ejection was typical AK with most casings landing about 15' away at about 2 o'clock. The brass was in good shape without the typical dents that other AK's leave on brass/steel.

I had an interesting collection of ammo to try from my ancient stock of X39 ammo. All groups were at 50 yards, 5 shots, open sights. These are just the better groups since some were pure shit but I blame myself (and that horrible trigger).

Old Yugoslavian ball (commercial from the 80's not the corrosive mil-surp stuff) with "IK-85" headstamp printed 2.05", 2.75", 1.80", and 2.35" at 50 yards.

S & B soft point (uk grain but probably 124) printed the best group 1.65"

Old Chinese FMJ from '92 shot pretty good with the best group being 2.20"

Chinese '92 solf point ammo printed the best of 1.75"

Winchester 123gr FMJ sucked with a 3.40" group

Remington R-P FMJ was so bad that I couldnt measure the groups, which were mostly off the paper (to the left again). It's possible that Remy loaded their shit with .308 bullets but know knows.

So far I give my SAM7 a "C-" assuming I can get that front sight adjusted, if not it's going back... The gas-tube/top handguard moves around and the finish will be damaged if you look at it wrong. I was too tired (and disgusted) to clean the gun or look inside for any a-typical wear or damage.
View Quote

Dang! I hope mine isn't that far off the target!  I too noticed that the finish was pretty fragile near the magweel. Also when I installed the bayo, but that ok by me so long as it runs 100%. I hope you can get yours sighted in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wondered if the sling mount was going to get in the way when mounting optics. It looked really close to me, I guess I was right, lol.
View Quote

I’m just going to use some 550 cord to attach the sling to the mount. Kinda like how Robski does a lot of his slings.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m just going to use some 550 cord to attach the sling to the mount. Kinda like how Robski does a lot of his slings.
View Quote

Sounds like something I'll do when I get my mount.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
The Best AK47 Ever Made? The Arsenal SAM7SF (ft. Mishaco) (4K UHD)
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Went to the range today and it was great
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#29]
We need some pics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We need some pics.
View Quote

What is the secret to getting the gas tube cover off?

Monarch steel 7.62x39 is Barnaul and non corrosive, right?

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice range setup. Yeah monarch is non corrosive. The gas tubes on SAM7s are super tight. Did you try to use the bolt carrier like Robski from AKOU?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice range setup. Yeah monarch is non corrosive. The gas tubes on SAM7s are super tight. Did you try to use the bolt carrier like Robski from AKOU?
View Quote

Not sure about that method. How’s it go?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Skip to about 5:20 mark.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Skip to about 5:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWve90MqKI
View Quote

Yeah, not having an issue with rotating the lever. It’s just when I have the lever rotated the gas block is so hard to actually get off. It’s like it’s pried on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#36]

The Sam7UF was the one I originally wanted but they were all out.

What's the proper way to zero an AK?

I took my sam7 to the range today and I was hitting a steel 12" ar500 plate at 200, so maybe it's somewhat zeroed
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I took my sam7 to the range today and I was hitting a steel 12" ar500 plate at 200, so maybe it's somewhat zeroed
View Quote

Opinions vary but seems like most folks zero the irons at 100 to coincide with the 100-800M (or 1000) tick marks on the tangent sight (in case we get together and do volley fire to 800-1000M lol.) There is also the technique of zeroing at 25 yards with the rear tangent set at 200.

RDS (red dots) are probably better zero'ed at 50-200. There are a few threads below with lots of videos talking about zero'ing the AK.

I just got my Magna-Matic AK sight tool and it worked beautifully on my stubborn SAM7 front sight.

Also, the first gun I ever owned was a pre-pre ban Hungarian underfolder. Beautiful gun but it made me hate underfolder stocks. They are always a little loose and uncomfortable to the shoulder and face. The side folder on the SAM7SF is MUCH better. Oh and forget optics rail with an underfolder. Just my .2 c.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many different ways. AKOU and Klayco47 have various videos on zeroing AK's. For 7.62x39 I like the 25 yard zero.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Opinions vary but seems like most folks zero the irons at 100 to coincide with the 100-800M (or 1000) tick marks on the tangent sight (in case we get together and do volley fire to 800-1000M lol.) There is also the technique of zeroing at 25 yards with the rear tangent set at 200.

RDS (red dots) are probably better zero'ed at 50-200. There are a few threads below with lots of videos talking about zero'ing the AK.

I just got my Magna-Matic AK sight tool and it worked beautifully on my stubborn SAM7 front sight.

Also, the first gun I ever owned was a pre-pre ban Hungarian underfolder. Beautiful gun but it made me hate underfolder stocks. They are always a little loose and uncomfortable to the shoulder and face. The side folder on the SAM7SF is MUCH better. Oh and forget optics rail with an underfolder. Just my .2 c.
View Quote

My brdm2 was designed for underfolders, not side folders

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've owned both.  I really wanted to love the ACE.  It had great ergonomics, better sights, and a better finish along with some more modern features like a quad rail.  That said I'd give the barrel edge to Arsenal.  Their barrels can go 100k rounds and Ron from BFV backed that up.  I talked to IWI and they claimed the barrel life on their 7.62x39 ACE was 40k rounds or so, but that could be a conservative estimate.  The trigger on the Arsenal is way better than the Galil ACE.  The trigger on my SLR-101S (same gun as the SAM7) breaks at 3#.

The last thing I'll say is this... the ACE has a slightly smoother action, but the Arsenal (speaking of the SAM7 here) shoots way smoother.  The Galil ACE is obnoxiously overgassed and somewhat annoying to shoot.  The whole aspect of shooting, IMO, is just much smoother and enjoyable on the SAM7.
View Quote

Bulgarian barrels, milled receivers, bolts, trunions are GTG.

The issue the past 5 years has been quality control at Arsenal. I’ve had some friends who spent $1200-1600 on various models with issues that were unheard of a decade ago. Fit and finish is no better than others from what I’ve seen.

Glad to hear your trigger is nice. My Galil ACE SBR’s is as good as an ALG and I appreciate the heavier trigger pull since it’s a military grade rifle. I guess I got lucky.

Can’t comment about barrel life. I do
know the ACE has a darn good barrel. Arsenal does as well.

The current political climate depresses me. I get pain in my abdomen when I think back to the mid-2000s walking into local gun stores where Saigas were $350 uncoverted. Goes to show we should jump on whatever we desire when we can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/AK-Bootcamp-Book-NEW-EDITION-AK-Bootcamp-Book-NEW-EDITION.htm
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Zeroing AK: The Russian Way
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My brdm2 was designed for underfolders, not side folders

View Quote

brdm2? Forgive and enlighten my ignorance...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

brdm2? Forgive and enlighten my ignorance...
View Quote

There are several gun racks on the inside that are deisigned for AKMS rifles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Interesting, use the 300M mark on the leaf dial.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/9FyCRF5G/1707255-C-D55-B-48-E6-830-E-8714-FC8-B6-CA6.jpg

There are several gun racks on the inside that are deisigned for AKMS rifles.
View Quote

Oh beautiful. Thanks for the picture. That would have ben a perfect commuter in Jacksonville.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top