Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2021 12:57:31 AM EDT
So I received my JRA Gallant several weeks ago and just got around to having a closer look. I knew it was a parts build and would have some wear, that's not the problem.

My first issue was with the selector. I've never seen this before. I'm not an expert, but I've never seen something like this done to a selector. it looks horrid. like it was busted and some hack just quickly welded it back together. No other examples have this.

I can live with that though, you win some you lose some. its $43 for a replacement from Numerich or Apex (sucks still, but whatever).

What I am more concerned with and something I'm not sure I can just fix, the bolt closes easily on a PTG 556 marked No-Go. None of my 556 guns even come close to closing on this. It's not even difficult either, when I say it closes easily I mean it... even gently she closes right up.

Any opinions? Any help is appreciated. I don't want to bother JRA if its 'normal' for these things to occur. I already emailed them a week ago and haven't heard back. Also, this is my first post. Long time lurker, never needed help before now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The weld on the selector is a common fix for a loose selector from IMI. I have a couple of examples from the various kits I've received. The bolt closing may not be an issue depending on the gauges that JRA used. I had a barrel from Criterion that closed easily on a no-go gauge of mine that didn't close on my other rifles. I sent it back to Criterion to have it checked and they said that it passed with their gauges. I would pick up a field gauge and give it a go, or have JRA look at it just to give you peace of mind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats exactly what I was wondering. thanks so much! I'm just starting the journey with other guns than ARs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Mine has the same selector weld
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome! Thanks for this. I guess I was more upset with my AKM from them and just really didn't want to be the only one with an ugly duckling Gallant too.

The No-Go fail was more concerning, but I'll wait for my buddy who has a Forster 556 MAX (1.4736") before I decide what to do on that. My gauges are all PTG and though it says 556, it says NO GO and not MAX so it could be 1.4649". Still not great, but technically OK.

Also I hope I fixed the pic issue.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have a paper punch (if not use scissors), punch a piece of the sticky part of a post it note and add it the the end of your no go gauge were your gauge touched the face of your bolt..it will add about .004 to your gauge.  if it closes on that i would be making some changes to tighten up your head space...Most of these guns (US made milled galil receivers) have varying degrees of receiver lug to bolt lug engagement...Ideally you get even contact on the lugs and you can lap  for proper lug engagement.  Its kinda hard to do this when you are already on the edge of a field gauge....for that reason I re barreled my v.1 gallant.  If your bolt is worn, you might even be able to swap out the bolt and end up with something acceptable
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. That makes sense. Sad to have to re-barrel a 'new' gun though. Hope JRA took care of that for you. Same with buying a new bolt... why should I have to?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top