Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2022 12:21:30 AM EDT
I just picked up this Bulgarian krink and everything is great except for the gas block. I do plan to mount my Dead Air Wolverine to it. Should I replace this gas block? Or do you think it will hold up?

It does run fine without a suppressor, but I don't think it has ever been shot with a can on it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I  am surprised that know one has posted on this. The break really shouldn't effect much do to the pin holding the block. You did loose a bit of the meat of the rear of the gas block. If it were mine I would pick up another krink gas block and pull the pin and replace the block and tower. It will be a little bit of a hunt to find the block but they are around and it will get your rifle back to 100%. if you are uncomfortable with doing the repair I would contact cwgunworks and have those guys fix it up for you. That is just my $0.02 on what I would do hope it helps.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking that was a sling mount that got broken off? If it doesn't effect anything I would probably be tempted to shoot it but I would be looking for a replacement. I might not go for one with a sling attachment though, small guns just sort of look right with a single point sling to me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If the barrel is all the way out to the end of the threaded portion it should be fine. Me personally, it would bug me and I would change it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say, yes, this is a liability. That block will flex more than it was designed to flex without the extra metal keeping it parallel to the bore. Adding a can may make it even worse. It must be replaced.

My two cents.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I  am surprised that know one has posted on this. The break really shouldn't effect much do to the pin holding the block. You did loose a bit of the meat of the rear of the gas block. If it were mine I would pick up another krink gas block and pull the pin and replace the block and tower. It will be a little bit of a hunt to find the block but they are around and it will get your rifle back to 100%. if you are uncomfortable with doing the repair I would contact cwgunworks and have those guys fix it up for you. That is just my $0.02 on what I would do hope it helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! I'll start looking for a block. Any ideas on the best places to search?

I would most likely have CWGunwerks do the work on it. I've had them do work in the past and it was top notch.

Quoted:
I'm thinking that was a sling mount that got broken off? If it doesn't effect anything I would probably be tempted to shoot it but I would be looking for a replacement. I might not go for one with a sling attachment though, small guns just sort of look right with a single point sling to me.

The sling mount is still on there. I'm not sure how it happened. It has definitely been shot by the previous owner without issue, but I plan to add a suppressor and I'm worried it will be too much stress and possibly cause a baffle strike.

Quoted:
If the barrel is all the way out to the end of the threaded portion it should be fine. Me personally, it would bug me and I would change it.

The barrel is all the way out to the end. I will most likely end up changing it because it should be cheaper than having to re-core a suppressor lol.

Quoted:
I would say, yes, this is a liability. That block will flex more than it was designed to flex without the extra metal keeping it parallel to the bore. Adding a can may make it even worse. It must be replaced.

My two cents.

I appreciate the reply and will go this route. Any idea where to find a new block?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks! I'll start looking for a block. Any ideas on the best places to search?

I would most likely have CWGunwerks do the work on it. I've had them do work in the past and it was top notch.

The sling mount is still on there. I'm not sure how it happened. It has definitely been shot by the previous owner without issue, but I plan to add a suppressor and I'm worried it will be too much stress and possibly cause a baffle strike.

The barrel is all the way out to the end. I will most likely end up changing it because it should be cheaper than having to re-core a suppressor lol.

I appreciate the reply and will go this route. Any idea where to find a new block?
View Quote

Akfiles is a good place to start. There's also a guy on there (Cerephim is his name) who sells a reproduction AK-74u block that looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Akfiles is a good place to start. There's also a guy on there (Cerephim is his name) who sells a reproduction AK-74u block that looks pretty nice.
View Quote
I have one of his 74 bolts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
you may think about sending to a good smith who knows AKs. The only reason I can think that FSB cracked like that is if the barrel isn't contoured correctly for the block.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you may think about sending to a good smith who knows AKs. The only reason I can think that FSB cracked like that is if the barrel isn't contoured correctly for the block.
View Quote

Yeah, I've had CWGunwerks do work on an AK in the past and they are amazing. The lead times can be rough, but there is a reason they're so busy.

I did get a chance to talk to the person who built it from a kit and he said the gas block was like that when he got the kit.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top