Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2016 8:11:52 PM EDT
You may recall I got my High Standard Hungarian under-folder from Atlantic Firearms.  It came with a Hungarian wood handuard and pistol grip that were stained/painted "Russian Red" or some such nonsense.

It looked terrible, and was not very tough (it scuffed just looking at it! LOL).  I put a Bulgarian palm swell handguard and unknown origin brown bakelite grip on it.

An acquaintance of mine who built a tacticool AK from a Hungarian kit, asked me if I was interested in another set of Hungarian wood.  I took it, and was pleasantly surprised.
- One, it is in near mint condition.  
- Two, the grip is a little more "hand filling" front to rear than the other set that came on it.
- Third, it is darker than the typical blonde furniture you see on Hungarian export guns.  I think I have heard that Hungarian military guns have a teak colored furniture, and I think this is it.
- Fourth, the handguard (both top and bottom) are more substantial feeling than the stuff that was on it.  I suspect that set was sanded down to finish.

I an VERY happy!  Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The wood looks lighter in the cell phone picture than it actually is: It doesn't really look like it has any finish other than some sort of oil finish, maybe BLO or Tung oil.  I just use the Ballistol I use to clean the weapon, to wipe down the wood.  Ballistol and water (called "Moose Milk" by BP shooters) is great for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo like east German or Chinese.

The Tapco cage flash hider is added to it so when folded, it will be over 26" to avoid being classified as a SBR by California.  California, unlike the Feds, measure it in the shortest condition that it can be fired when determining SBRs.  After the 2000 registration, people whole legally registered their folding stock AKs as AWs, were popped for having an SBR because it was 1/4" too short when folded.... After I register it as an assault weapon on 1-1-2017, I am able to loose the mag lock and unpin the stock.  Folded it is 25.75" with the slant break, but the Tapco cage makes it 26.2" and still allows the bayonet to be installed.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Lookin' good!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I put the Bulgarian furniture back on the Saiga. Right now it has a bullet button and ten rounders, instead of the paddle, so I can register on 1-1-2017.  I am happy.  I have a Retro AR rifle and Carbine, and now a retro AK rifle and folding stock AK.  Like four aces....

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top