Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2022 12:51:28 AM EDT
and I'm looking to spend under $1,500. I know PSA offers a few choices, as well as Atlantic, and of course Century. Any opinions on any of those options? Any other options I should look at?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
and I'm looking to spend under $1,500. I know PSA offers a few choices, as well as Atlantic, and of course Century. Any opinions on any of those options? Any other options I should look at?
View Quote

I kind of want an AK74 type underfolder now that you mention it.

But for you, since its your first experience with one, why not get the new WASR underfolder that Atlantic Firearms sells? https://atlanticfirearms.com/wasr-10-ak47-rifle-under-folder

Best of luck whatever you choose!
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please leave the memes in GD. dryflash3

Triangle folder for the win.
That said, if you like the iconic look, over your comfort? Century under folder WASR from AtlanticFirearms.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Underfolders look great but are the absolute worst to actually shoot. You’ll love it at first and then it’ll just sit until you eventually sell it.  100 series folder all the way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/butWhy-734.gif

Triangle folder for the win.
That said, if you like the iconic look, over your comfort? Century under folder WASR from AtlanticFirearms.
View Quote
I already own a side folder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They pack easily but I always hate the cheek to stock weld personally. If you have a side folder already then go for it. If our government gets its way they will likely be worth a fortune soon anyways.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Underfolders look great but are the absolute worst to actually shoot. You’ll love it at first and then it’ll just sit until you eventually sell it.  100 series folder all the way.
View Quote

I always think I want an under folder, till I remember why I sold mine. Side folder much better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Are there any plans for wbp to make an underfolder?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Wobble, Wobble, Wobble.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I always think I want an under folder, till I remember why I sold mine. Side folder much better.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I love underfolders and shooting them hasn't been too bad. Maybe I haven't been shooting them enough to notice ??
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've noticed that different models have the stock in locked positions. I'm assuming it's designed that way for smaller built Eastern Europeans, but what the hell do I know. I like the look of the ones where the stock locks in a flat position.

vs.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no problems with underfolders, but then, I was shooting them long before the GD said they were "bad", so I was able to make my own unbiased decision.  My Chinese preban underfolder is one of my favorites, and will never be sold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Been shooting underfolders for decades with no complaints.
If your UF is wobbly your locking piece , trunnion or both need fixed or replaced.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've noticed that different models have the stock in locked positions. I'm assuming it's designed that way for smaller built Eastern Europeans, but what the hell do I know. I like the look of the ones where the stock locks in a flat position.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/wasr-underfolder-3-of-18-jpg.jpg

vs.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/polish-ak47-rifle-under-folder-3.jpg
View Quote
Get a Polish one then.  Romanians are on an angle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get that, I'm just wondering why some are angled and some are straight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with the WBP Mini Jack and love it

CWGunwerks did the work to add the underfold stock. I'm pretty sure they make full size ones. Mine was a pistol version that was SBR'd.

The WBP's are nice rifles and I was very impressed with the quality.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went with the WBP Mini Jack and love it
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20211127_222159-2186752.jpg

CWGunwerks did the work to add the underfold stock. I'm pretty sure they make full size ones. Mine was a pistol version that was SBR'd.

The WBP's are nice rifles and I was very impressed with the quality.
View Quote

How much did it cost to get the underfolder put on amd did you supply the parts?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much did it cost to get the underfolder put on amd did you supply the parts?
View Quote
This @sbye. PM if you don't want to put the cost out there. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

CWGunwerks supplied the trunion because I thought the one that came in the Mini Jack was fine based on the description, but it needed a new rear trunion.

If you supply your own trunion then this is what they had quoted me:
Underfolder conversion parts/labor $350
Nfa engraving is $50
Return shipping is $40 plus insurance
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/wasr-underfolder-3-of-18-jpg.jpg

vs.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/polish-ak47-rifle-under-folder-3.jpg
View Quote

You want a Chinese underfolder; the stock is angled to make it comfortable to get a sight picture. Underfolders with a straight inline stock are a real pain in the neck to get a sight picture.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I also wanted an underfolder. just because.  I rolled the dice and went with a PSA GF5.  I probably wont shoot it much, so the GF3 might have been a better deal, but I figured I'd see how the FN CHF barrel worked out.  The only negative so far was the PSA dong furniture, but I fixed that in the EE.  Still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Or

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also wanted an underfolder. just because.  I rolled the dice and went with a PSA GF5.  I probably wont shoot it much, so the GF3 might have been a better deal, but I figured I'd see how the FN CHF barrel worked out.  The only negative so far was the PSA dong furniture, but I fixed that in the EE.  Still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/tDqBH9V.jpg
View Quote

How's the fit and finish
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Zastava!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How's the fit and finish
View Quote

Overall the fit and finish are very nice.  Everything appears straight, the stock locks up tight.  The only magazine that wouldn't fit is a Hungarian tanker.

The front sight post was loose, but I spread the ears little and it's fine now.  So far, my only complaint would be the machining in the bolt carrier cam track.  It looks horrible, but the action cycles smoothly, so I wont worry about it unless it has function issues when I get to shoot it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is 1000% true, I love looking at underfolders but one mag and you’re like nope. Blah
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both my Serbian "Zastava" branded and Yugo Contracted build from Century by "Nodak-Spud" have almost completely strait under-folding stocks when locked in place/extended...
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I was hesitant to get an underfold because of how bad everyone says they are. After getting one and shooting it, I don't think they're bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my under folder but it's somewhat special. Stock is rock solid.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always wanted one. Forever. And here's this thread. A sign.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The dark side is calling.......................
View Quote

This!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve always wanted one as well. A member here let me shoot one at the range a long time ago and I’ve wanted one ever since. More of a piece for the collection than an actual need but I’ll still shoot it some.

I’ve always thought it would be cool to have an under folder and an xm177 on display in the man cave, just a little Cold War homage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

My experience with an Underfolder has been the opposite. I have a Yugo M70AB2 (my 1st AKM btw) and it’s been a breeze to shoot too include others who have shot it. Definitely not difficult to master. And it surprises people on how accurate it is. Internet misinformation lead them to believe that it would be a painful & horrible experience. Quite the opposite.

I’ve shot some surplus military bolt actions that I would rate as “The absolute worst” over my underfolder. It’s a very compact setup with the “Stock” folding underneath instead of the side. I’ve hiked with it and it has travels very well in a pack or as vehicle as a “Truck gun”.

Also, the folder is tight. Zero wobble.

Honestly, my only complaint about it is that it is heavy. But it is a Yugo AKM so par for the course I guess?

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#37]
When I wanted an underfolder, I went with the PSA built Romy kit.  I was looking for an occasional shooter & prefer the classic cold war look.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Paracord wrap the cheek weld will make it very comfortable to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I also want one. Debating if I should wait and see if psa or atlantic restock their kit builds or just order a wasr.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Cugir are avail, and Zastava is releasing underfolding M70s
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
How is the quality on Cugir?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quality parts(correct materials and heat treatment), terrible finish, terrible wood furniture, potential quality control issues on assembly (canted front sight).

Usually good to go and great host to slap better furniture and some cerakote on but i’d be weary about buying one sight unseen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant say so personally.

But Im assuming its the same quality as WASRs.

Probably a risk of canted sights, etc.

Wont be pretty, but probably bomb proof.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's a little more tease bait. This is a M70AB2.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I think UF hate is overrated and personally love mine. It's one of my favorite rifles and even though the side folder is more practical in most respects it's hard to beat the cool factor of the UF. They have less options for optics but there are a few that work, like the Attero rear sight leaf mount or the TWS / ZenitCo top cover type mounts. Ultimak is a good choice as well

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought a WASR from my favorite LGS yesterday. They just happened to have one in stock. Took it to the range this morning, and not good so far. Magpul mag worked, a few of the steel mags wouldn't even fit in. The trigger only reset itself a few times after firing. 95% of the time I had to use my trigger finger to push the trigger forward so I could fire the next round. Guess I'm calling Century tomorrow.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bought a WASR from my favorite LGS yesterday. They just happened to have one in stock. Took it to the range this morning, and not good so far. Magpul mag worked, a few of the steel mags wouldn't even fit in. The trigger only reset itself a few times after firing. 95% of the time I had to use my trigger finger to push the trigger forward so I could fire the next round. Guess I'm calling Century tomorrow.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83781/F95DE10B-5CA0-4363-A7FB-4F9CAC59084D_jpe-2498113.JPG
View Quote

Let us know how it goes OP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bought a WASR from my favorite LGS yesterday. They just happened to have one in stock. Took it to the range this morning, and not good so far. Magpul mag worked, a few of the steel mags wouldn't even fit in. The trigger only reset itself a few times after firing. 95% of the time I had to use my trigger finger to push the trigger forward so I could fire the next round. Guess I'm calling Century tomorrow.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83781/F95DE10B-5CA0-4363-A7FB-4F9CAC59084D_jpe-2498113.JPG
View Quote

AK's are well known to have varying degrees of Mag Well/Magazine fitment issues, and their are varying methods from extremely simple to pulling out the power tools to fix. Could be the mag release latch, could be shitty surplus Magazines too. This goes for aftermarket accessories for the platform as well. Anytime you see Universally fits most AK's, it also more often than not, essentially means time to pull out the dremel for proper fitment lol.

As for the trigger reset... Could be a very easy fix

Sounds like the main braided wire of the trigger inside the receiver is not snug and hooked to the back leg of the Trigger/FCG. If this being the case, its a simple fix. Remove the Dust Cover and pull the the recoil spring from Bolt Carrier Group out. Where you trigger is located you should see the springs on the trigger housing, make sure they are properly seated and hooked underneath the legs behind the pin that holds the trigger in place towards the rear of the receiver. Did this myself when swapping ALG triggers between a couple of my AK's the other week, and had the same issue you are specifically having, and the spring on the right wasn't properly secured to the back leg of the FCG. Plenty of videos on YouTube detailing how to remove and install an AK FCG if for whatever reason that wire trigger spring is not the issue. If the wire for any reason or any of the FCG components are defective they are fairly cheap to replace for the MOST PART, but prices are ever increasing. If not you could always get yourself an ALG AKT-EL trigger. Best $120 upgrade you can make for your AK, and almost essential these days for the platform. It's essentially the Geissele SSA-E of the AK Platform and should square away your trigger issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd bet the mag release needs just a hair of trimming, but it could possibly be aftermarket mags too. For example, I have a bunch of cheap korean 762 mags and most of them have fitment issues in my combloc AKs as well as my PSA 103. The mag catch is slightly out of spec, so one suggestion is to try a few more mags if you can. Don't modify your rifle mag release yet, but if none of the mags you try will lock up properly it won't be the end of the world, you can trim the release and you'll be GTG. This is not uncommon with AKs assembled in the US, but even though it's less common from factory guns it still happens

If the magpuls lock in properly I'd ask your LGS where the steel mags are from. It could also be that you need to use more force to lock the steel mags in because they give less than the magpuls do, which is another sign the mag release may be slightly off. Again, not a big deal and easily fixable

eta: Post some pics of the entire rifle too. It won't help for troubleshooting but this is an AK forum and we do like pics
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Are the steel magazines Croatian?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top