Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/25/2017 5:41:33 PM EDT
So I want an AK pistol chambered in 7.62x39.  Looking for a pistol with a side folding brace.  

What would you get?   I’m looking for the easiest route.  To that end I’m looking at the Galil Ace that comes as a side folding pistol set up.  I can get it at a good price.  The factory side folding brace pistol is sold out, so I think I would have to do it myself.  

I’m not looking for the cheapest option, definitely not the more expensive either.  

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
m92 + drill and tap + us machinge gun folder+ sb tactical brace = done
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
M92 or Draco
Drill and tap , .159 drill, 10-32 tap
-StormWerkz, ACE, etc folding mechanisms
-Many people use StormWerkz and Wildbill shims to remove the angle on the M92 rear trunnion
-Many braces out there now, I have 4 Shockwave and a few SB braces on pistols.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
m92 + drill and tap + us machinge gun folder+ sb tactical brace = done
View Quote
This!

Except use Shockwave brace instead.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m looking at the Hera SFU and the KAK brace.  

How hard is the Arsenal SAM7K to get a brace on?    I can pick it up for a decent price.

Edit.  I know I can get one with a brace on it.   I don’t like that brace.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be easier to swap braces than drill and tap.

The Draco will kill a drill bit the M92 is butter, never tapped an arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gotcha.  So the Arsenal pistols don’t come from the factory ready to accept a brace?   Understood.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there anyway to install a folding arm brace without altering the receiver?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there anyway to install a folding arm brace without altering the receiver?
View Quote
You can use US Machinegun's buffer tube/folding adapter. Here's the one for Draco, they make same for M92 also:

- OS
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one of those and it was awful. No way to keep the grip from twisting, traded it off here in the EE for 4 mags. If they came with a longer T nut or second contact point to lock the grip in place it would be a lot better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had one of those and it was awful. No way to keep the grip from twisting, traded it off here in the EE for 4 mags. If they came with a longer T nut or second contact point to lock the grip in place it would be a lot better.
View Quote
I have one (the buffer tube adapter only) on a PAP M92 and it's rock solid.

I did add a crummy folding hinge to the mix at the time of this pic, but the US Machinegun grip part is great.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish someone would make a triangular style folding brace that resembles the side folding triangle stock.  Seems quite possible given SB has the side folding HK brace that is sort of triangular.  Braces that resmble actual stocks seem popular enough - why not one that actually resembles an AK?  Also a tail hook style that fits an underfolder would be nice as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish someone would make a triangular style folding brace that resembles the side folding triangle stock.  Seems quite possible given SB has the side folding HK brace that is sort of triangular.  Braces that resmble actual stocks seem popular enough - why not one that actually resembles an AK?  Also a tail hook style that fits an underfolder would be nice as well.
View Quote
I think the SOB47 is the closest looking to a triangle stock right now

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gotcha.  So the Arsenal pistols don’t come from the factory ready to accept a brace?   Understood.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the SLR-106-60 pistol has an extension that would take a buffer tube and brace.........could be changed out to something different

Arsenal SLR-106 pistol
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think the SLR-106-60 pistol has an extension that would take a buffer tube and brace.........could be changed out to something different

Arsenal SLR-106 pistol
View Quote
Yes, the brace just slides off.  The tube is tapped and screwed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arsenal SLR-106 pistol
Definitely looking at one after the first of the year
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
for any of the brace mounts that are sandwiched between the receiver and gun, you have to use the right grip along with a hex head bolt so you can get it tight enough.  A stock AK grip doesn't have enough surface area for a tight fit.

I used the FN style Tapco grip on mine and its rock solid with the original SB mount.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Draco + broken tap here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m looking at the Galil Ace side folding pistol (again).   It’s a 8.3 inch barrel and comes from the factory set up exactly the way I want.

No fiddling at all.   Pricey though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
edit
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
How is the rear trunion?    Strong and relatively thick?

@steppingcrane
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How is the rear trunion?    Strong and relatively thick?

@steppingcrane
View Quote
Yes, the Draco's rear trunion end that's tapped into is about 1/4 inch of one piece steel which is riveted in on the sides to the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Ohshoot, Is that the UTG  folder? I used that,  but cur off the male threads and bolted right to the trunion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ohshoot, Is that the UTG  folder? I used that,  but cur off the male threads and bolted right to the trunion.
View Quote
Not branded UTG bu probably same, it was what US Machinegun was selling as add-on to their own buffer tube adapter at the time. Various places have marketed them, all the same substandard item from whatever source.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's my latest Stormwerkz AR adapter with Doublestar Stongarm. Drilling and tapping is very easy. Yes, go slow and easy on the Draco with a new drill bit. Makes it so much more useable.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/gOw4SUf.jpg
View Quote
Which stock adopter / folding mechanism is that?  I really like the look of that set-up with the SOB47.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which stock adopter / folding mechanism is that?  I really like the look of that set-up with the SOB47.

Dave
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/gOw4SUf.jpg

Dave
That's the StormWerkz AR type folding mechanism

But I have switched the setup, I like it to fold to the right side so I can use a QD swivel
StormWerkz standard folder, Universal carbine adapter, stormwerkz PAK stock adapter with swivel holes

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can use US Machinegun's buffer tube/folding adapter. Here's the one for Draco, they make same for M92 also:

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC01973.JPG

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC01963.JPG

http://www.usmachinegun.com/prodimages/DSC01964.JPG

- OS
View Quote
Anyone have or used this exact one yet? It looks like it's exactly what I want (a solid steel side folding brace without modifying the receiver) but I can't find any reviews or anything on it. It's the usmachinegun upgraded folder http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=UPFLD-DRCO
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anyone have or used this exact one yet? It looks like it's exactly what I want (a solid steel side folding brace without modifying the receiver) but I can't find any reviews or anything on it. It's the usmachinegun upgraded folder http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=UPFLD-DRCO
View Quote
Again, can't say what their new folding mechanism is like, but the grip adapter to buffer tube part on my Zastava is rock solid. With your eyes closed, you wouldn't know by feel whether it were that or some welded/bolted method.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Urban Ops,
Please post the top / bottom view pictures of your set up when the brace is in the folding position. Can you still be able manipulate the safety lever when it in the folded position?

thanks
Cal
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Urban Ops,
Please post the top / bottom view pictures of your set up when the brace is in the folding position. Can you still be able manipulate the safety lever when it in the folded position?

thanks
Cal
View Quote
Cal,
Will be a month before I could poat any pics,  out of the country right now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I drilled and tapped my mini draco for the stormwerks adapter the steel is hard, but it can be done if you take your time. I had the sidefolder on mine for a few years, but now it has an underfolder stock. Let me know if you need the adapter. I won’t be using it so i will let it go at a good price ??
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Arsenal SLR-106 pistol
View Quote
Looks AWESOME!  But showing out of stock.

When will these be available again??
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, I have. You really have to torque the grip screw down as it will wiggle and risk sliding off your grip if you don’t. Essentially it’s a friction fit due to its open design.

The U.S. Machinegun version is sturdier (that’s what I replaced the Century brace with on my M92) because the section that the grip screw goes through is closed....BUT it’s also thicker - it will alter your grip dynamic by moving your grip down.

I have zero experience with any other folding adapter except for a LAW Tactical on an AR and the CNC Warrior/Bonesteel adapter on an AK rifle - if you want rock solid, the CNC Warrior is the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#36]
... tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#38]
What are the current, easiest to install folding braces out there.  I don't want to be drilling holes in the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#40]
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Any idea when you guys will get the Galil ACE's back in stock? Specifically the 5.56 pistol and/or carbine?

Been waiting for months now it seems

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arsenal SLR-106 pistol

I don't know, but the back of that pistol looks like it has a folding plate that could easily be adapted to use the SB Tactical folding triangle brace, whenever it comes out
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#42]
This one is promising:

Bonesteel Arms
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#43]
That's what I was gonna post, I've had a Bonesteel Galil folder on my Saiga carbine and it's rock solid, stays put when folded and is easy to deploy.

Most folders will loosen up with use but the Galil type folders use a wedge/wedge design that always stays tight and is probably the best folder if you're really using & abusing your gear.
It's not adjustable and the shoulder pad is thin but the stock comes in two Warsaw 7 NATO lengths with a 1/2" or 1" pad so there's some options for getting your LOP.

I've currently got a SOB47 on my Draco and it's great, but I'm getting a Bonesteel folding brace...

Edit: the Bonesteel does require drilling the back which isn't easy on a Draco BUT the mount is a threaded plate on the inside so the hole just has to be big enough to let the bolt pass, no tapping required. So this should be a simple garage mod with some good quality drill bits. No drill press required as the hole doesn't have to be perfectly straight.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top