Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2020 5:26:17 PM EDT
Ok, I'm a little late to the game I know. I've had AKs in the past with my last one being an Arsenal SLR107. I've wanted a 5.45 but had a hard time buying one without seeing it first and of course, could never find one local. I had to consolidate my guns for a bit and got down to a couple ARs and a few Glocks, I'm in a better place now and wanting to rebuild by collection. I recently bought a PSA AK-P and freaking love it, now I want to get a 5.45x39.

This is what I really want.
Attachment Attached File

So do I wait until the end of the year and hope the get the AKK from PSA? Will be SBR'd.
Attachment Attached File

Or pay $2k for this? Arsenal SLR104-80 Will be SBR'd
Attachment Attached File

Or spend $2k and get this, which is what I've been wanting for a few years now? Skip the NFA paperwork and have a premium AK.
Attachment Attached File

Keep in mind, I'm not made of money but I'd rather have a few nice guns than a bunch of so-so guns.

I'm hearing Arsenal is not really worth the money and I also hear the same of Rifle Dynamics but also hear people love their RD rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had no issues with any of the Arsenals I own/owned over the years and all but the most current had high round counts +/- 15k+ rounds.

IF I was going to stamp a rifle, my criteria requires it to be 100% as combloc as possible. Which would mean a SLR104/variant, SLR105, SGL31/variant. I'd also have no issues doing so with a build from Turbo, In Range, CW, etc... as long as a OEM kit/barrel was used.

Have you shot a krinkov? Had the luxury of getting quite a bit of trigger time on one and (much like AR's) I think the barrel sweet spot for a .22 round is 11.5-12.5". Just $0.02

That said, @nictra @tx-zen convinced me that the 105 platform is the sweet spot for a 5.45 carbine and made my choice to go that route for the 5.45 SBR.

The PSA Krink looks very promising and I will get one, but wouldn't bet the farm on something that has "hope to be on market by q4" based on PSA's "dates" with other platforms. I'd rather have it today than hope to have it tomorrow.

The RD guns are sweet, but for $2k you could source a 5.45 Saiga, GBC-13, and send it off to get converted with cut/perm'd muzzle device of your choice.

You have a lot of options if you are not in a rush make it a project and make what you want! I'd say if a krink is the goal I'd source a SLR-104ur, Eform1, 45 days later cut the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had no issues with any of the Arsenals I own/owned over the years and all but the most current had high round counts +/- 15k+ rounds.

IF I was going to stamp a rifle, my criteria requires it to be 100% as combloc as possible. Which would mean a SLR104/variant, SLR105, SGL31/variant. I'd also have no issues doing so with a build from Turbo, In Range, CW, etc... as long as a OEM kit/barrel was used.

Have you shot a krinkov? Had the luxury of getting quite a bit of trigger time on one and (much like AR's) I think the barrel sweet spot for a .22 round is 11.5-12.5". Just $0.02

That said, @nictra @tx-zen convinced me that the 105 platform is the sweet spot for a 5.45 carbine and made my choice to go that route for the 5.45 SBR.

The PSA Krink looks very promising and I will get one, but wouldn't bet the farm on something that has "hope to be on market by q4" based on PSA's "dates" with other platforms. I'd rather have it today than hope to have it tomorrow.

The RD guns are sweet, but for $2k you could source a 5.45 Saiga, GBC-13, and send it off to get converted with cut/perm'd muzzle device of your choice.

You have a lot of options if you are not in a rush make it a project and make what you want! I'd say if a krink is the goal I'd source a SLR-104ur, Eform1, 45 days later cut the barrel.
View Quote
Thanks, I was hoping you'd reply!

I have not shot a krink and I can't help but to believe you on the 11.5-12.5" barel length being optimal for the round. I just love the really short AKs. I'm not in too much of a hurry so maybe I'll try to source a Saiga and go that route.

BTW, watching your SBR thread closely.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
if you're willing to spend up t0 2k, AKSUs do come up for sale now and again around that price point.

I love my AKSU, and will never sell it, but after almost 10k through it, I've put it in semi retirement and really only bring out my 105.

As Fin said, IMO, the 105 is the best of both worlds. Many told me not worth the tax stamp for only 4". Glad I never listened to them. It's hands down the handiest package.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd skip the 'premium AK' I just don't see any value in it. I've got several high round count Arsenals and Saigas that have never had malfunctions. There's nothing magic about a reliable AK or mysterious tuning that makes them better. My high round count guns run great, don't cut my fingers and don't look like ass either

Arsenal gets a bad rap because they are the company people love to hate and over the years so many new people have jumped on the bandwagon. There are also people that have an ax to grind and can't stop bashing them. They have had a few periods of crappy QC for sure but there is also a lot of hype and negativity. Some issues are completely legit and are worth blasting them over - For example they do have pretty crappy customer service, their prices are at the top end of the spectrum and don't always take care of the customer but IMHO most of the negativity comes from AR type people who equate price with perfection. That's not real for AKs unfortunately, more price doesn't get you perfection and I've always thought it unreasonable to expect it. Add in the sloppy business practices along with some real issues with guns from time to time and here we are. Lotta people hate the company and love to trash them. All that said they are mostly focused on the company and not the gun, which I think is valid but that detracts from the quality of most of their guns

The SLR107 and 106 series have the most documented issues and the SLR105 and 104 the least number in my general observation. I've bought Arsenals from 2005 onward and have never had an issue with any of them. The friends I have with Arsenals also don't have issues so while I believe it when people have posted problems over the years, I have never once seen it myself across roughly 30 or more rifles and 15 years of shooting them

I'm just a guy on the Internet but I will keep buying Arsenals and not stressing about crap (and keep hoping I don't have to deal with the CS)

As far as 8 inch vs 12 inch AKs go, yes I agree 12 is where it's at for a general purpose rifle but I will tell you that you are not wrong to drool over the AKSU. They are handy little blasters and a crap ton of fun. I've used my 5.45 guns out to 300 yards and had excellent results. They are far more accurate than given credit and with 7N6 actually are not velocity dependent for terminal effect. It's a great package and a lot of fun
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm biased. I love the krink. It's my all time favorite gun, so of course I'm going to tell you to get one. But as far as which to buy, I'm going to steer you to Arsenal. 2 of my 3 Krinks are Arsenal for a reason, they make a damn good AK (the third is an 86 Tula).

I did swap the first Krink's barrel with a 1:6 twist. The second arsenal is a factory SBR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say, keep the PSA krink as a last resort if you can't find an SLR104UR at whatever price you're willing to pay.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
wish I had gotten an SLR-104fr when they were readily availible.  I did get a 104ur and SBR'ed it and I love it.  it runs perfectly.  I put an MRO on mine.  I would recommend a 104ur any day.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Find a slr104ur now to sbr. Wait and get a psa 12.5 5.45 when they come out. And stock up on mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm biased. I love the krink. It's my all time favorite gun, so of course I'm going to tell you to get one. But as far as which to buy, I'm going to steer you to Arsenal. 2 of my 3 Krinks are Arsenal for a reason, they make a damn good AK (the third is an 86 Tula).

https://i.redd.it/hlh0u4mkn2l31.jpg

https://i.redd.it/1js1477ntdm31.jpg

https://i.redd.it/n4k1pddkgmj31.jpg

I did swap the first Krink's barrel with a 1:6 twist. The second arsenal is a factory SBR.
View Quote
Good Lord, those are so freaking sweet! I'm super jealous.

Is a barrel swap necessary if I go the Arsenal route or is that something you did to try something different for different ammo loads?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is a barrel swap necessary if I go the Arsenal route or is that something you did to try something different for different ammo loads?
View Quote
Should not need a barrel swap if you get an Arsenal
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 106,104,107 U all chopped and made SBRs and all are amazing to shoot. With that said my 104FR I made into a Alpha 105 clone and my 107 CR and I have 2 other 14.5 pinned arsenals in 5.45 all out of all of my guns are hands down my favorites. I really think the 12.5-14in AK in 5.45 style gun is the best rifle made. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the 104UR while you can.  Nothing is quite the same as a factory combloc AK, especially AKSU.  Prices on the 104 guns are pretty crazy now though.  $2000 for the 104UR "Gambit" is insane; supply/demand at work.

Unfortunate that they never did a factory 104CR.  Or at least, a significant run of them.  I've heard there are 3-5 that were imported and "out there" but not as a full product.  Pictured on the 104-series manual though.

Return of the 106CR would be cool too.  Don't care as much about the 7.62 ones.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man is correct. You don't need to. I only did it to change out the original arsenal 1:8 twist with the 1:6 twist. Not necessary.

If you are curious the difference between the two twist rates in a krink, Click here
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I own 5 arsenals.  F, CR x2, UR, and sam7k.  Based on my experience, they're great guns.  Thats why I keep buying them.  But they are nowhere near what people are asking for the 5.45 models these days.  Some guys are running the auctions up into the $3k range and then everybody else that has a 104 thinks theirs is worth that.

If you get the PSA one, the rear end is not setup right for the AK74su.  Its not clear yet if PSA will end up building one with a rear folder besides the setup they have now that doesn't look very clean.

I say get the 104ur gambit.  Its $1925 on gunbroker.  SBR it and have exactly like you wanted.  Its more than I think its worth.  If its worth it to you, then do it.  Yolo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I really wanted one of these.

Krink kits are gone, I can't spend 2K on an AK, and VA is fucked. We will be under a ban before PSA gets theirs out.

sigh.

I really wanted a 5.45 pistol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Krink kits are gone, I can't spend 2K on an AK, and VA is fucked. We will be under a ban before PSA gets theirs out.

sigh.

View Quote
This is probably a dumb question; Do you have a carry permit? Can you drive to a local state and buy a rifle or pistol assuming you have a carry permit that state recognizes?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is probably a dumb question; Do you have a carry permit? Can you drive to a local state and buy a rifle or pistol assuming you have a carry permit that state recognizes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sigh.

I have always curious how buying a gun out of state works. Cuz i need me some 5.45 lovin and Virginia might go full retard.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think I anyone can buy a pistol out of state.

PSA wouldnt sell one to me when I was in SC last year at the shop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]
FFLs can transfer long guns to people from other states as long as everything about the sale/transfer doesn't violate any laws in the FFL's or the transferee's state.  They cannot transfer receivers or handguns to out of state folks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of the preproduction Rifle Dynamics RD 502s that was built on a Saiga 240. It’s one of my favorite rifles I own. I love the looks of a traditional AK but in shooting, having the M4 stock is hands down the most comfortable.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top