Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/17/2021 11:02:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Apex used to have a bunch of cut receivers but they were cut through the locking area. You could also find other parts with good front sections. I used to have a crap ton but decided to to just buy complete receivers and call it good. You can buy a kit from Bowman on gunbroker as they have good receiver pieces and you'll have an extra set of parts for spares.

email them at [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
RE: Muzzle- most of the ATI SAR demill kits are pinned with a threaded pin, which has a staking to hold it in. it comes off easily. That worked for the IDF, the ATF want that zapped. Very easy to weld right ontop rather than a staking.

RE: Reweld- Anyone can be a good welder and get it done with even a FCAW 120v machine, but its not going to be easy. Keeping it square is one thing, but as soon as you take the heat off, that bead is going to contract and pull. You will need a jig of sorts for sure. The drawings for the holes and cutouts are online.

What are you doing for a barrel? The ATI kits usually have a cut barrel stub. You can go to a 16" barrel (if you can find one), but the SAR gas piston and tube are a bit shorter than the AR/ARM. Its going to punch a little more. The 18" barrels are easier to find, but I'm seeing virgin barrels go for $600 on funbroker.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RE: Muzzle- most of the ATI SAR demill kits are pinned with a threaded pin, which has a staking to hold it in. it comes off easily. That worked for the IDF, the ATF want that zapped. Very easy to weld right ontop rather than a staking.

RE: Reweld- Anyone can be a good welder and get it done with even a FCAW 120v machine, but its not going to be easy. Keeping it square is one thing, but as soon as you take the heat off, that bead is going to contract and pull. You will need a jig of sorts for sure. The drawings for the holes and cutouts are online.

What are you doing for a barrel? The ATI kits usually have a cut barrel stub. You can go to a 16" barrel (if you can find one), but the SAR gas piston and tube are a bit shorter than the AR/ARM. Its going to punch a little more. The 18" barrels are easier to find, but I'm seeing virgin barrels go for $600 on funbroker.
View Quote

Did you get your drag issue solved?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did you get your drag issue solved?
View Quote

Yes, totally was the Red Star Arms hammer being too thick. OE hammer works perfect.
I can run steel crap ammo now and cycles fine.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
cool
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, for the OP: Torttort is still taking orders for their Galil receivers. I weld too and I'd much rather work with that than rewelding.

https://tortort.com/collections/all-80-percent-milled-receivers/products/80-galil
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats who I went with for my SAR build. I have an OWs for my ARM.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.

I like to tinker, that's why I thought welding up a receiver might be fun. I have a buddy with a tig welder who is quite handy...

As far as barrel I was hoping to be able to meet the 16" with a welded flash hider but that may not be the case. So I guess a brace or sbr.
View Quote

Extender?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know when some more barrels will be available?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone know when some more barrels will be available?
View Quote

Its currently hit-or-miss, but there's been a big bump in demand from what I can tell. A virgin 18" 5.56 barrel, regardless of manufacturer, is now going for ~$600.
I scored one on calguns.net not too long ago for much less, just have to look locally too.

The used ones are viable, but they will be cut for the handguard retainer notch, gas block pins, and gas port. Unlike a typical AK, the barrel threads-in, so the only way to adjust the timing is with shims OR by milling some off the shoulder of the barrel to get it in more. I got some stainless 20mm shims from McMaster (20mm is the thread diameter- they fit perfect) to time barrels, but then there's also headspace to contend with. Move the barrel too far out to time it, you may end up with too much room between the bolt face and chamber.

Most of the used barrels look like shit (pitted), but the bores are not bad and have some rifling left. Kind of a crap shoot (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for nabbing that kit,OP....it was tempting me and I wasn’t likely to resist, and I have a stack of projects already. Already have an ARM on a CNC Warrior receiver, now want an SAR on a Tortort.

Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top