Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2022 5:47:49 PM EDT
$1350 out the door. Probably has 200-500 rounds through it judging from the wear. The dealer who sold it says it was his friend's gun, and he recently died. Was a very nice man. I guess I may have over paid $100-200, but this was the sort of find I was looking for.

Attachment Attached File

I am really really kicking myself not buying 1-2 of these 10 years ago when they were under $500 bucks. This .223 Saiga would make a great hog or varmit gun < 200 yards in. Really beats the snot out of a Ruger Mini-14 for what you get. Has a bolt hold open device as well. The trigger is actually quite nice.

Having said that, I want to convert it of course! I have a couple builders in mind, but who would you recommend these days? I was thinking of a Sureshot Mk3 chassis, but will wait to get my KR-103 back with it before making a final decision. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Damn Russian forum is dead thanks to Putin
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How much do you want to convert? Fully into an AK clone or just add a pistol grip & stock? If the latter, I did one myself way back in the day and it wasn’t too hard. Wish I had kept it, was a Y-stamped 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Full AK-101 conversion with AR stock and possibly a Sureshot rail system
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 308 and a 12. I bought them years ago. Still haven’t converted them or even shot them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a .308 way back. It’s not accurate at all but I will say it’s the most fun gun to shoot for blasting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow! A S223 is now a $1400 gun?!?!?! I paid $650 NIB for mine about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow! A S223 is now a $1400 gun?!?!?! I paid $650 NIB for mine about 4 years ago.
View Quote

Yep it’s insane. I am really kicking myself thinking about the CDNN sales etc I’ve seen through the years
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep it’s insane. I am really kicking myself thinking about the CDNN sales etc I’ve seen through the years
View Quote

It's nutty for sure!

Good news for OP is that his is unmolested and a blank canvas!
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread made me think of the last time I bought a Saiga. Found it in the email archives from Centerfire Systems back in 2009. Free shipping to boot:

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The poly Galil mags work fine if you just sand down the front side ribs that other wise keep it from fitting.
And a feed ramp of course.
I did sacrifice a weiger and filed down the front mag body that kept the tab from reaching up under the feed shelf. I haven't molested my others as they became pricy.

My conversion was stillborn. I kept the bits in case I need to revert....

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
So what builders do you prefer these days?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I always seem to have a saiga or 3 in the shop for conversion work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I paid $300 with the box, but it had been  shot - a whole 5 round magazine worth.

Converted it years back with advice from the Saiga Forum & Danzig parts and it has been a great shooter.

I'd never believe that a stock plain jane Saiga would go for $1,400...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This thread made me think of the last time I bought a Saiga. Found it in the email archives from Centerfire Systems back in 2009. Free shipping to boot:

https://i.imgur.com/npi6wqk.jpg
View Quote

I remember those days. That’s about when I picked up my Saiga 12 and 308.

I was on the wait list for a Tromix conversion for a long time but when my number finally got called I had lost interest enough to not want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool.
I have a converted .223 I bought several years ago for something like $600.

Had an RS Regulate mount with a trs25 on it these days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was on the wait list for a Tromix conversion for a long time but when my number finally got called I had lost interest enough to not want to pay for it.
View Quote

Yeah, the wait list got completely out of hand back then....out 4 years or so.  By then, about 75% of the guys were no longer interested and I don't blame them at all.
I worked over several thousand Saiga-12's, but only about 100 or so Saiga rifles.  There's not many Tromix Saiga rifles in the wild and quite a few of those are SBR's.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Edited to add - Here's a pretty rough prototype of the first 7" .308 SBR made January 13th, 2006.  I think I made 3 or 4 of them.
That's a 20 round Fuzzy Bunny Movie Gun's magazine in it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, the wait list got completely out of hand back then....out 4 years or so.  By then, about 75% of the guys were no longer interested and I don't blame them at all.
I worked over several thousand Saiga-12's, but only about 100 or so Saiga rifles.  There's not many Tromix Saiga rifles in the wild and quite a few of those are SBR's.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

I don’t think my wait time was quite that excessive, but it was pretty substantial

I still have the guns and they’re still not converted.

Another project always took priority so I just never got around to it.

And I haven’t been able to let myself sell them for the going rate now.

I live just west of you in fact. Assuming you’re still out of just east of Tulsa.

@tonyrumore
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm honestly more surprised that people are shocked by the price increase on these.  It's like people saying an SKS used to only be $80, or an HK autosear only $0.87.  Supply of a popular high demand item gets artificially restricted and magically the price goes to the moon, many such cases.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top