Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2020 10:28:57 PM EDT
Hello all. When I was deployed to Afghanistan 10 years ago we had a contingent of ANBP (Afghan National Border Police) who went with us on some missions. Well on one patrol while at our patrol base I asked one of them to borrow his AMD-65 and he could 'borrow'  my MK12. (I was a DM.) I made sure the mag was empty and no round in chamber. His rifle was full auto capable (duh) and it was lightweight compared to my MK12.

Anyways thought you guys might enjoy the some pictures.

AMD65 AStan 1 by Two Sierra, on Flickr

AMD65 AStan 2 by Two Sierra, on Flickr
Notice his lack of finger control. Exactly why I gave it to him in condition 3.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
cool pics thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The AMD 65 was carried by the OGA “werewolves” in 2001-2002.  Uncomfortable to shoot due to loud muzzle break and wire stock.  Reliable and compact.

I hope CD will jump in with his thoughts and comments.

18Z50
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Great memories! Is he stepping on the back of your foot in the second photo?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great memories! Is he stepping on the back of your foot in the second photo?
View Quote
It does look like it but I don’t recall if he was.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a conex full of the AMD 65's during my 2012 deployment. They were for issuing to locals the ODA's and teams were working with.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
How did the ANA/ANP guys you work with like them?

I always heard they disliked them due to them being too short, something about not being a full length rifle making them less manly or some such.

Sight radius probably didn't matter not like they were going to use them any way
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dot sight is the answer, at least for the domestic semi-autos. You can get a little rail that replaces the rear sight leaf. Faster and more accurate.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How did the ANA/ANP guys you work with like them?

I always heard they disliked them due to them being too short, something about not being a full length rifle making them less manly or some such.

Sight radius probably didn't matter not like they were going to use them any way
View Quote
I can't comment on that. I was at a higher level and rarely interacted with local nationals.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I always liked that Afghan Border Police green chocolate chip uniform.

The AMD was disliked by the Afghans that I knew.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting that OP. I've always liked those but I like short, loud rifles.

I read in some AK publication years back that the AMDs were low on the desirable list for the Afghans. Supposedly Russian and Egyptian AKs were the most desirable.

Again, just read that somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that OP. I've always liked those but I like short, loud rifles.

I read in some AK publication years back that the AMDs were low on the desirable list for the Afghans. Supposedly Russian and Egyptian AKs were the most desirable.

Again, just read that somewhere.
View Quote
Wire stocks suck, so that wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]
That guy looks like a character. Was he a decent guy?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That guy looks like a character. Was he a decent guy?
View Quote
That one was a good guy. After we rotated out we found out that one of our terps was Taliban.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered a Polish folder similar to the AMD-65, omg it sucks so bad. I can barely get a chin weld with irons.

Looks cool as hell though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just ordered a Polish folder similar to the AMD-65, omg it sucks so bad. I can barely get a chin weld with irons.

Looks cool as hell though.
View Quote
I have that Polish stock.

It's in the bottom of a plastic bin on the floor on my garage, never again to touch a rifle.  It's great to make a shorter gun, but godawful for actually using on a functional weapon.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top