Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/11/2019 6:02:01 PM EDT
Got some new steel mags. Theyre vacuumed sealed with what looks like oil.
Since they're steal I don't want to toss them into soap and water and start rusting.

Any suggestions on how to clean them?

Thnakyou in Advance
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it oil or cosmoline?  If just oil, just wipe it down.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Kerosene
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve always used kerosene or mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If you’ve only got a few to do I just use gun oil.

OTOH I’ve got a gallon of CLP so using a few ounces to dissolve shipping oil ain’t no big deal. If you’ve got a bunch to do make friends with someone who has a automotive parts washer.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you got new Bulgys or Croats, if so, just wipe em down and forget about it.

You should not have to clean new production mags period.

Now if they're 'new to you' and packed in cosmoline that's a different topic.

That's when I'd either dunk 'em in kerosene or use a solvent like Goof Off or mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not one to assume my mags are good so I inspect them all before I store them. The new Bulgarians I found to have a rough and gritty feel inside. I washed them in hot water with some Dawn and scrubbed the insides with an old toothbrush which smoothed it out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought some Croatian and Bulgarian made magazines and I used an old T-Shirt and wiped all of the oil out of the magazines. Also used some mineral spirits to cleaning the outside of the magazines. I then put a very light coating of CLP on the springs and put them back together. I have not had any issues. The Bulgarian ones are interesting since the follower and magazine release are plastic and the magazine and bottom plate are steel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh, wipe that stuff off the centerfold and make sure it's dry before you close it and put back in the bottom of dad's sock drawer where you found it?
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top