Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2020 5:23:38 AM EDT
Picked this magazine up here in Afghanistan.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also found this Russian Aluminum mag, one of the ODAs has it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The mag with the two horizontal ribs near the bottom is Chinese.  Yugo mags are similar but the horizontal ribs Are shorter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I can find pics, but not much info. This guy says 1961-63 paratroopers magazines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/17/guest-post-brief-history-kalashnikov-magazine-part-1-metal-magazines/amp/

ETA: Crap, I scrolled up and went looking for the mag you already had identified.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
those russian waffles are cool
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto that the first mag is Chinese. I have only seen a very few of these with that stamped side plate area. Not sure if experimental or just obscure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info before.  Yes, the side plates and rear locking tab are what threw me.

CD
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazing this stuff is laying on the ground over there, only dropped once and we pay big $$$$ for them.  Hope you can send them back here and sell them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
No idea of the make. Looks like someone's attempt at a cheaper AK mag, stamping the feedlips rather than welding on the separate machined plates. I would avoid it even if 100% new.

Keep posting about different and unusual gear that turns up. And keep your powder dry, stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s a Chinese All stamped mag. There are at least variations of the mags, one where the side ribs go all the way to the top and one where the side ribs don’t go all the way to the top like what you have, and one with a milled versus stamped rear locking lug. Like everything AK mag related, these are  just manufacturing methods to make it easier to make more and cheaper AK mags.

For example the Russians started with slab sided mags, then the steel ribbed, then they tried the aluminum mags like in the other pic, then they used Bakelite ( they had 5 five generations of 7.62x39mm Bakelite mags) now they have 2 generations of their polymer mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The finish on that nice milled Russian AK in the OP looks like my new Arsenal SAM7 after I cleaned it with gunscrubber
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice finds. Impressive that they have been in use potentially for 50 year or more
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top