Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2018 10:41:22 PM EDT
So my fil bought my wife an sks for her birthday. I know jack all about sks.  I know its Chinese. Made by Norinco and has a ugly piece of shit plastic stock on it. Would like to find a original style wood stock. Where would I look and what would I look for? He said he bought the gun and 4 mags for 150 bucks. Other than the stock which doesn't fit the gun is in great shape and shoots good.

Like I said I domt know what exactly I have I k ow know they stock has to go. I can move the reciever up and down about a quater of an inch. Still shoots good. Long ass barrel  no bayonet and no cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
EBay seems like the most options for wood stocks. You want a Chinese stock that is cut for the same bayonet as the gun. You can tell by looking at the bottom of the metal piece were the front of the stock slides in. Either blade or spike.

What stock is on it now? If there is that much play like you describe it might just be missing the FCG retention spring behind the trigger guard. Either way a lot of sks have poorly fitted stocks and without trying several you might not get any better. I have epoxy bedded some SKS stocks around the rear bottom of the receiver and the front stock ferrule for a solid fit.

$150 is a steal in today's market!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock on it now is a fiberglass monte carlo style spotter stock that from looking around I think is from ATI looks just like it at least.

I dont know which style bayonet it uses yet I haven't taken it that far apart yet. The part that doesn't fit is in the back by the dust cover. Not worried about it not fitting as I domt plan on keeping it in this pos stock for long.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
" />

" />
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
OP

The bayonet lug on that rifle is ground off so fitting a bayonet is not an option. I have a stock I would part with.  Shoot me an IM. I tried to send you one but your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up the same setup as the OP, a Chinese Norinco made in '79-'80 in an ATI Monte Carlo stock from a yard sale for $40. Had a busted Tapco mag so I was able to get seller down on price.

Great shooter but I'm in the same boat, would like to drop mine in an original stock but it's proving to be more expensive than I'd like. I can live without a bayonet but going back to a fixed mag is $50-$75 and stocks seem to start around $100 BUT you need to be aware of what type barrel you have. Pinned, short collar or long collar. Pinned barrel have different stocks from short/long collar barrels. And I think the Yugo stocks are different from the Chinese. So not all SKS stocks are universal. Just more money than I'd like to put back in it.

Forgot to add, there's a guy on Etsy called Lucky Shot that makes aftermarket stocks for a lot of rifles including SKSs. I think he's out of Canada. Has several interesting 'tactical' wood stocks including one that's a close copy of the original stock but has a nice rubber butt pad. Around $110 but is cut for the original fixed mag not the removable Tapco duckbill mags. If I can find a reasonable fixed mag I may go this route.

The Monte Carlo stock is at least pretty solid and a few coats of brown Rustoleum looks better than the black plastic. if you plan to swap the stock I'd recommend reading up on replacing the handguard as it's part of the gas tube and requires knocking out a pin to remove the ferruls/metal thingys holding it in place. I was able to reuse my pin but still ordered some replacements up from ebay if needed. It's not hard but easy to screw up if you don't know how. I replaced mine with a railed one from a Tapco I picked up used off ebay so I could mount a TRS-25 red dot. Not the prettiest setup but it groups 7.62x39 better than any of my AKs at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
@ Wanderson how do you determine if it's a pinned barrel or a short/ long collared barrel?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And I think the Yugo stocks are different from the Chinese. So not all SKS stocks are universal.
View Quote
FWIW, I got a Norinco SKS M (factory ak mags) that came in a plastic folder.  I restocked it into a Yugo stock.  It fit well enough but it did take some fitting.  I know it needed a little material to be removed for the trigger group to lock into place.  I also had to build up some weld on the cross bolt for the receiver to fit tight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Where the barrel fits in to the receiver determines if the barrel threads in to the receiver or if it’s pinned. Google ‘sks barrel pinned or threaded’ and the first pic that comes up should show all three. I THINK the main differences in the stocks are pinned vs threaded. SKSs switched from threaded to pinned around the early 80’s although dating one can be tricky depending on what factory it came from.

Now I think any stock can be made to fit any receiver, this is just if you want a drop in replacement. Every aftermarket stock I’ve seen accommodates all types.

Check out the sks files forum for more info on interpreting factory marks than you’d ever want to know. That’s more of an art than a science as Norinco has never released any info.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top