Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2020 12:50:08 AM EDT
I found this at the gun show. The guy selling said it is a Vietnam bring back but no paper work to verify.  It's a short barrel that accepts ak mags. No import mark. Triangle 26 on receiver with spike bayonet. All matching from what I can see. The sling attaches on the left side of the buttstock. It also has the bolt stop button on the bolt.

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The guy was misinformed or lying.

Factory 26 makes good stuff. Pictures would help.. but it sounds like one of their SKS D models.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Did the sks d have the button on the bolt?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the sks d have the button on the bolt?
View Quote
Google is your friend... there is a ton of info out there for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found this at the gun show. The guy selling said it is a Vietnam bring back but no paper work to verify.  It's a short barrel that accepts ak mags. No import mark. Triangle 26 on receiver with spike bayonet. All matching from what I can see. The sling attaches on the left side of the buttstock. It also has the bolt stop button on the bolt.
View Quote
There's a technical term for the guy at the gun show.  That term is bullshit.  All 16" barreled SKS's were commercial and all that accept AK mags are as well.  I'm sure if you looked real hard, there's import marks.  Look on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
There's is not and import mark anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's is not and import mark anywhere.
View Quote
Did you buy it?  If so, post up pics. It truly sounds that if it doesn’t have import markings, then it was one of some that fell between the cracks. I’ve seen some obviously late production guns not import marked. Hell, legally, you can remove import markings.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
In for pics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking "type 84" SKS.  It's a commercial carbine and no bring back.  I hope you didn't pay a premium for it.  Disassemble the carbine and look inside the receiver towards the rear.  I think it was Federal Ordinance that put their markings there.  I've also seen them below the wood line or extremely lightly marked under the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid $700 for it with a non matching magazine. Hopefully I didn't get taken too bad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I paid $700 for it with a non matching magazine. Hopefully I didn't get taken too bad.
View Quote
For a Type 84 SKS, that's actually not a bad price.  The prices fluctuate on them, but they are fairly uncommon and I've seen them go between $1k-$1500.  If it was an "M" or a "D", I would say they stuck it to you.  In this case, I think the dealer didn't know exactly what they had and I'm questioning his integrity.

I'd still like to know if you find any import markings and where.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For a Type 84 SKS, that's actually not a bad price.  The prices fluctuate on them, but they are fairly uncommon and I've seen them go between $1k-$1500.  If it was an "M" or a "D", I would say they stuck it to you.  In this case, I think the dealer didn't know exactly what they had and I'm questioning his integrity.

I'd still like to know if you find any import markings and where.
View Quote
I took it apart and saw no import marks anywhere.

Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice, and good catch Mike. Here is more info on this uncommon variant.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/type-84.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very nice, and good catch Mike. Here is more info on this uncommon variant.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/type-84.html
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Would of been great to have the original mag. Standard ak mags will not lock in either. I modified one to fit but will not feed. Need some time to get one to feed correctly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ouch... then again, prices on SKS rifles have really skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
A lot of good information on that site.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top