Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2018 11:54:46 AM EDT
I am having some trouble getting the muzzle detent pin unstuck that protrudes from the front sight block.

I shoot with a Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1 suppressor. When I depressed the pin to unthread the suppressor it stayed stuck flush with the front sight block. Don’t wanna shoot it suppressed again until this is fixed as the muzzle detent pin holds the suppressor in place.

I’ve tried to move it, heat, shooting it, PB blaster (not Kroil yet) and tapping it with a nylon hammer. It is not rusted as the gun is almost brand new with less than 300 rounds through.

Any ideas on how to fix this without having to remove the front sight block? Are there any stronger pins/springs I can replace the current one so this does not happen again?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Try an oil or the kroil first.  let it sit overnight or more to see if it loosens up.  You may want to try heat again after the oil (shooting it should heat it up pretty well).  If you try all of that stuff and it won't budge, then your only option is to drift the front sight pin on the front sight base that holds the detent (use a muzzle nut to keep the detent pressed in whil you are drifting it as there is a spring in there that may loosen by the hammer blows).  There may be a burr on the detent itself or the detent hole.  Once you get it out, look the hole over and the detent for burrs to clean up.

I had this happen on my slr-101s (brand new also) and the only way to get it loose was to drift the pin out and clean up the detent; making sure there was nothing in the hole that may keep the detent from freely moving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot PB blaster or kroil down into the detent pin hole. Then blast with compressed air to hopefully flush the junk out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try an oil or the kroil first.  let it sit overnight or more to see if it loosens up.  You may want to try heat again after the oil (shooting it should heat it up pretty well).  If you try all of that stuff and it won't budge, then your only option is to drift the front sight pin on the front sight base that holds the detent (use a muzzle nut to keep the detent pressed in whil you are drifting it as there is a spring in there that may loosen by the hammer blows).  There may be a burr on the detent itself or the detent hole.  Once you get it out, look the hole over and the detent for burrs to clean up.

I had this happen on my slr-101s (brand new also) and the only way to get it loose was to drift the pin out and clean up the detent; making sure there was nothing in the hole that may keep the detent from freely moving.
View Quote
Thanks all for the responses and great advice. Good news, I was able to get it free. I ended up further soaking with pb blaster, tapped the detent pin and it popped out.

I think the locking collar on the suppressor caused a burr on the detent pin and that’s why it stuck. I took off the burr and it moves freely now without sticking down.

However, it’s not perfect. I think to get it working smoothly I’ll need to fully remove, clean the area, and replace the pin. I’ll see how it holds up for now and if I have any trouble will do that.

If I do end up going that direction, is there a replacement pin on the market that is very hard and resistant to burrs? The one on my rifle I believe is stainless and is quite soft. It works great for the muzzle device but not with the suppressors locking collar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a CNC Warrior replacement.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/AK-Muzzle-detent-pin-and-spring-p/23294.htm

But mine has never come free. So I've never installed the new one. Someday I'll have access to a tall drill press to drill it out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a CNC Warrior replacement.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/AK-Muzzle-detent-pin-and-spring-p/23294.htm

But mine has never come free. So I've never installed the new one. Someday I'll have access to a tall drill press to drill it out.
View Quote
What needs drilling out? If talking standard AKM FSB, you just remove the FSB pin and the plunger and spring will come out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks all for the responses and great advice. Good news, I was able to get it free. I ended up further soaking with pb blaster, tapped the detent pin and it popped out.

I think the locking collar on the suppressor caused a burr on the detent pin and that’s why it stuck. I took off the burr and it moves freely now without sticking down.

However, it’s not perfect. I think to get it working smoothly I’ll need to fully remove, clean the area, and replace the pin. I’ll see how it holds up for now and if I have any trouble will do that.

If I do end up going that direction, is there a replacement pin on the market that is very hard and resistant to burrs? The one on my rifle I believe is stainless and is quite soft. It works great for the muzzle device but not with the suppressors locking collar.
View Quote
Maybe you could make one from a gage pin of the correct size. IIRC gage pins are around 57-60 RC, Just remember the harder the material the more brittle it tends to be and not exceptionally tolerant of hammer strikes or other sharp impacts. Also very lightly chamfer the edges of the new pin to reduce the chances of it becoming stuck again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What needs drilling out? If talking standard AKM FSB, you just remove the FSB pin and the plunger and spring will come out.
View Quote
In theory, yes. Apparently mine has such a bound up, gummed up or rusted detent that even dental picks in the FSB pin hole, PB blaster, evaporust soaking, heat, mallet banging, and a lot of cursing hasn't busted it free. The only option left is to drill out the detent, clean up the hole and install a new one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
oh, well that sucks. Sorry to hear you had to go to those lengths.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top