Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:22:38 PM EDT
Looking at buying an original pre-89 Galil ARM .308 or an Ace .308. Any thoughts or comments relating to quality, reliability, accuracy, etc.?

Bonus for cold weather experience. I may be moving to a very cold climate soon and am considering this for a under-the-back-seat ("trunk") rifle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cannot speak to the ARM (always wanted one) but the Ace is a great rifle, ugly but great. It’s over gassed and chows anything I have fed it. It has a tendency to dent brass. Shoots consistent 2-2.5 MOA or better with NATO ball. I have not had a chance to shoot 155s or 168s for group yet. Some T&E articles have shown it to be a steady 1 MOA or better rifle with match grade ammo. I love mine.

ETA- the fact it uses SR25 pattern mags is a plus and it is built like a tank, not sure how well it suppresses but we shall see.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, the pre '89 Galil is a $3k gun.  I would have a hard time writing that off as a loss in the event of theft.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, the pre '89 Galil is a $3k gun.  I would have a hard time writing that off as a loss in the event of theft.
View Quote
It'd stink, but I've spent more on unworthy women.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The 7.62 Nato Galil Ace is more comparable to the Galil AR rather than the ARM. The ARM model is the one with the longer, wood hand guards that include a wire cutter, bottle opener, and, if I remember correctly folding bipod. The Galil Ace and the Galil AR do not have wooden handguards or wire cutters or bottle openers or folding bipod. The Ace is very similar to the AR (I know because I had a Galil AR and now have a Galil Ace), but there are some differences. The Galil AR had a much better, paratrooper skeleton folding stock that was copied from the FN FAL Paratrooper folding stock. Both have tritium iron sights and the ambidextrous safety is pretty much the same, just a little smaller on the right side of the receiver on the Ace. Improvements that the Ace has over the AR is the top dust cover has a picatinney rail and the hand guard has sections of picatinney rail at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'Clock positions. The Ace also uses the SR25 magazines. I think the AR has the advantage because it's steel 25 rd magazines are much tougher, more robust, and will last a lot longer than any plastic MagPul magazine. Problem is that AR magazines are difficult to find and extremely expensive. I prefer the all steel lower receiver of the AR over the Ace. All in all, I am happy with my Ace and the improvements make it a better choice for today. Weight isn't bad on either rifle for a 7.62 Nato caliber rifle.

My original Galil AR 7.62 Nato rifle
" />

My current Galil Ace 7.62 Nato rifle
" />
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top