Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/7/2020 10:14:00 AM EDT
Got some bulk 7.62x39. It's mostly two of the same rounds but there are a couple other varieties here. Anyone have some info on what we might be looking at here?

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2 in right are steel case. Nothing valuable. Choot ‘em.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Im mostly trying to see if they are the same grain and similar powder load so I don't need to worry about mixing them in mags.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The two copper washed rounds on the right are Soviet era M 43 steel core ball. The green lacquered one i can't make out the headstamp completely but could possibly be M 43 surplus ball as well. The WOLF headstamped one is probably a 122-124 grain steel jacketed lead core round made for the U.S. market specifically.

If I had a stash of the steel cored rounds I personally would save or sell them as they are worth more than average lead cored rounds.

Plus they are corrosively primed which requires extra steps during cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The two copper washed rounds on the right are Soviet era M 43 steel core ball. The green lacquered one i can't make out the headstamp completely but could possibly be M 43 surplus ball as well. The WOLF headstamped one is probably a 122-124 grain steel jacketed lead core round made for the U.S. market specifically.

If I had a stash of the steel cored rounds I personally would save or sell them as they are worth more than average lead cored rounds.

Plus they are corrosively primed which requires extra steps during cleaning.
View Quote
Good info. I would be pretty surprised if the Wolf was specifically for the US since I bought all of this in the Middle East where I live. Might be a knock off but it's also what I got the least of in this batch of ammo.

I'm curious about the red vs black banding at the top edge of the casing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The red and black bands are sealant. My friends and I bought a bunch of 7.62x39 back in the day (over 30 years ago) at the Knob  Creek shoot. We all ran it in our FA and semi guns for years after (around $50 and up per thousand). It was surplus ME, East German surplus, and some Asian, including  Norinco. Never had a problem with it. We always clean after shooting. Nothing collectible there. If you are worried about corrosive ammo, just make sure you clean your guns well after you shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason I said specifically for the U.S. is because almost everywhere else in the world the surplus M 43 ball round is just fine, but the Russians had to create a newly designed lead core bullet specifically for the U.S. market when the ATF ruled the m 43 steel cored round was "armor piercing".

No doubt it is sold in other places, but it was made specifically to comply with our import regulations.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The first two are Soviet. The left one is funky and does not appear to be an original load. It should have a primer seal and the case mouth seal color is odd. Plus, the case mouth looks belled out a little like the projectile was pulled and replaced and not re-crimped. Do you have multiples of this one? You said it was sourced in the mid-east? I would be suspicious of this round (s) as it looks to be tampered with. Can you post better pics of the case mouth where the seal is?

The next one is typical Soviet M43 steel core ball.

The third from the left is Romanian, probably steel core ball as well.

The far right is typical Wolf lead core ball. A lot of this was provided to US allies in the ME over the years. I'm sure it trickled out to many locations over time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll take some more pictures tomorrow. It's midnight here now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The 323 headstamp round is Romanian, could be corrosive or not. I'd guess it is.

539 is Russian Tula.  I expect its standard corrosive M43.

I "think" the far left round is an "S", and Sako/Laupa made non-corrosive brass case.  The font looks right to me.  If so, it COULD be boxer primed and reloadable, though I think they switched a little later than 78.  In any case, that's likely very accurate ammo compared to the others.  So maybe save that for special occasions or whatever, and definitely check the empties.  It was pretty highly regarded about 10 years ago when a bunch of it got on the US market.  A few people were butt hurt that it wasn't as accurate as commerical Lapua, but it was still better than Russian in my experience.  At the time, I preferred buying Yugo M67 though.  

ETA: OP, can you take a magnet to them?  I'm really curious if the far left is brass, and whether it has a magnetic bullet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the first one is a 3. Soviet arsenal code for Uly.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My cartridge collector associates tell me the round on the left is Albanian and extremely rare. Albania used factory code "3" as did the Russians. In my 30+ yeas as a 7.62x39mm collector, I have never seen an Albanian 7.62x39mm that was not lacquered steel case until today. Quite a collectors item, like unicorn rare. One of my guys, who is one of the most knowledgeable 7.62x39mm collectors in Europe,  has been on the hunt for one for 40 years. I'd hang into this round (s).

It is not a product of SAKO, which used "SO" as their factory code, not an "S". Also, this case is clearly copper clad steel, not brass. SAKO only made brass cases and rarely used case mouth sealant.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My cartridge collector associates tell me the round on the left is Albanian and extremely rare. Albania used factory code "3" as did the Russians. In my 30+ yeas as a 7.62x39mm collector, I have never seen an Albanian 7.62x39mm that was not lacquered steel case until today. Quite a collectors item, like unicorn rare. One of my guys, who is one of the most knowledgeable 7.62x39mm collectors in Europe,  has been on the hunt for one for 40 years. I'd hang into this round (s).

It is not a product of SAKO, which used "SO" as their factory code, not an "S". Also, this case is clearly copper clad steel, not brass. SAKO only made brass cases and rarely used case mouth sealant.In
View Quote
Interesting. I think i might have shot it off yesterday when we went out. Shot through a few mags. Not sure if that was in there. Ill check tonight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting thread is interesting.

I can't honestly remember what headstanp was on the SAKO 7.62 imported into the US other than it had an S, on further inspection of the potato picture, I think it is a 3 and agree.  Maybe the Albanians used a "copper" wash closer to the SB or Russian Golden bear, since it still looks very yellow to me.

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can't honestly remember what headstanp was on the SAKO 7.62 imported into the US other than it had an S, on further inspection of the potato picture, I think it is a 3 and agree.  Maybe the Albanians used a "copper" wash closer to the SB or Russian Golden bear, since it still looks very yellow to me.

View Quote

These early Albanian rounds were made on machinery supplied by China and follow the Chinese pattern. Some Chinese copper-clad (not copper-washed) cases and jackets have this yellow/brassy copper color. It makes sense the Albanian rounds would be similar. It is believed that initially the components came from China and were assembled into complete cartridges in Albania. The earliest known date is 1971.

Edited to add: the "3 71" round screams Chinese influence...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hard to believe that a 20er could start an interesting thread with any value whatsoever. According to the all-knowing pre-13ers I shouldn't be allowed to post anything for at least a year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you find any more of those Albanian rounds?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you find any more of those Albanian rounds?
View Quote
Sorry, ive been pretty busy with other stuff. This reminds me that i need to clean the gun and check those rounds after the last outing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is not a product of SAKO, which used "SO" as their factory code, not an "S". Also, this case is clearly copper clad steel, not brass. SAKO only made brass cases and rarely used case mouth sealant.
View Quote
@1Devildog
Well, I finally had some time to look through the rounds that I had left and im pretty sure that I shot off the one you are talking about the day you posted. I cant find it now in my stack of ammo. That would be pretty sad if it was worth something. I took some clearer pictures of what I still have. The closest I have to what you are talking about looks like its steel cased. They are stamped "3" and "14" or "15".

The others are mostly this:

But now I'm interested in seeing if i can find more of this stuff around here. There are tons of Peshmerga here who have had their AKs loaded for years without ever shooting a round. Im going to start looking in some of the gun shops as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
The "3 14" rounds look like Russian made by Ulyanovsk, 2014. Can you post a side view of these? Do you have the box or packaging they came from?

The "539" code is Russian from Tula.

Always interesting ammunition turning up over in the ME.

Love to see what else you can find there...
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The "3 14" rounds look like Russian made by Ulyanovsk, 2014. Can you post a side view of these? Do you have the box or packaging they came from?

The "539" code is Russian from Tula.

Always interesting ammunition turning up over in the ME.

Love to see what else you can find there...
View Quote

"3 - 14" on the left
"3 - 15" on the right

"Yeah, I'm eager to go check some of the shops now. Unfortunately people look at foreigners a little sideways when they frequent gun shops around here. They just automatically assume you are CIA.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool to see the poly case finish on military headstamp 7.62x39mm rounds.

Many years ago during my "visit" to the ME, everyone thought it was odd that I was so interested in the headstamps of the 7.62x39mm  cartridges we captured.

Too bad you shot the Albanian round. Probably worth $50 or more to a serious 7.62x39mm collector...
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top