Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2021 3:29:00 AM EDT
I got lucky and managed to get one while it was in stock, and all told with the shipping it was about 410.

The kit itself is beautiful. I didn't get the hand select for a specific year, I didn't really have a preference anyways. The patina makes it look really awesome and reflective of the age and used condition, the only downside being that 80% lower I'm going with will probably stick out like a sore thumb but what can you do.

I'm still somewhat torn on what I want to do with it. I do know that I'll be doing a 14.3 pinned break build but I can't decide if I want to do a underfolder, or a side folder. The reality being that it very well could be the last AK I can get with VA's daily creep towards some kind of AWB or ban on 80% builds.

Either way I'm a ways out still, I have to get the receiver and the stuff to press it and rivet it but its a great first step.

Here's some pics. I threw the furniture and cover on a different 10/63 that I'll take a pic of later. It looks good.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice !!  Looks just as it should.  I have '76 Romy G kit myself that after a year or more sitting in a box, I've just started.  First AK build with no dedicated tools so I'm making them as I go.  Having much more time on other platforms, it's difficult to not spend far too much time on the details that don't matter.  A build with some character is much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice !!  Looks just as it should.  I have '76 Romy G kit myself that after a year or more sitting in a box, I've just started.  First AK build with no dedicated tools so I'm making them as I go.  Having much more time on other platforms, it's difficult to not spend far too much time on the details that don't matter.  A build with some character is much more enjoyable.
View Quote

Oh nice, feel free to post some pics of your kit to give me some inspiration haha.

I just noticed that even the wood has a matching number stamping.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to order a Childers 80% or not. The main pro being the engraving and stuff like that. Downside is the wait time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh nice, feel free to post some pics of your kit to give me some inspiration haha.

I just noticed that even the wood has a matching number stamping.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to order a Childers 80% or not. The main pro being the engraving and stuff like that. Downside is the wait time.
View Quote

I just ordered a pair of receivers from them, including one for a build I don't yet have a kit for. My previous receiver from them is absolutely perfect, I'm willing to wait for their quality.

I asked AoA if they have any underfolders coming, and they have romanian underfolder kits being demilled now and will be available for sale in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just ordered a pair of receivers from them, including one for a build I don't yet have a kit for. My previous receiver from them is absolutely perfect, I'm willing to wait for their quality.

I asked AoA if they have any underfolders coming, and they have romanian underfolder kits being demilled now and will be available for sale in a few months.
View Quote

I was really interested in the ones they had that have been sold out for a while, they look really good.

I may just have to save some more money and grab one of those as well
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
A side note, I was going through the parts to clean them all up and I noticed the FCG is the original military one. I obviously can't use all those fun parts, so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a substitution FCG?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A side note, I was going through the parts to clean them all up and I noticed the FCG is the original military one. I obviously can't use all those fun parts, so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a substitution FCG?
View Quote

The RAK-1 trigger seems a worthy successor to the Tapco G2's 'cheap but surprisingly decent' crown
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
As received

Attachment Attached File

As of two days ago
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]

very nice.

need to start on mine, perhaps next monday since work is closed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Ah, the old Rommy G kits! I remember the good old days of paying $75 each "cash and carry" at Knob Creek for those exact same kits. How long ago was that kit purchased?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the only downside being that 80% lower I'm going with will probably stick out like a sore thumb but what can you do.

View Quote

Ya know, you can wear/stress the new receiver to match the wear on your Rommy kit. Just take some sandpaper or scouring pad to it. You can look for pictures online of the common wear points on a receiver. That's the beauty of homebuilding - make it your own and make it the way you like it
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ah, the old Rommy G kits! I remember the good old days of paying $75 each "cash and carry" at Knob Creek for those exact same kits. How long ago was that kit purchased?
View Quote

Not sure, I got it from a member here who had bought a couple.  Had this one sitting around for a while and finally decided he wasn't going to do another.  I've only had it for about a year.  I think it was purchased through centerfire systems.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got two of those kits myself. One with barrel headspaced, and the other with no barrel just as an investment (for a few years from now).

I have to admit I never thought I'd be back here building again considering the price of kits, but the political climate has changed my perspective.

One last build for the sake of freedom.

Anyway, the kits look pretty good. One kit is the "non matching" kit, and it looks perfect except for a small dent on the top cover.

The wood is free of trench art. One small crack in the upper hand guard which is no big deal, still useable.

The headspaced kit was done well, no cant to the sights, ears on FSB are not bent.  Haven't double checked the headspace yet though.

I got a 1988 and a 1969!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top