Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/9/2021 1:56:04 PM EDT
Has anyone ever super glued the rivets in place on the receiver so they stay in place when crushing them or is it a bad idea? I’m think just a drop of super glue on the flat side of the rivet to adhere to the outside of the receiver would hold it so that when forming/crushing the rivet it wouldn’t fall out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not and didn't see a need to but I don't see how it could hurt anything if it helps you out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I've seen a few people suggest that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you using to install the rivets?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Super gluing the rivets in does not sound like a good way to set rivets. I use converted Horror Fright bolt cutters modified with a bucking bar on the front rivets & two bucking bars on the rear long rivets since 2005 & it always works fine. If it gets sideways, drill it out & replace the rivet to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FloridaAKM:
Super gluing the rivets in does not sound like a good way to set rivets. I use converted Horror Fright bolt cutters modified with a bucking bar on the front rivets & two bucking bars on the rear long rivets since 2005 & it always works fine. If it gets sideways, drill it out & replace the rivet to your satisfaction.
View Quote

He's not saying to glue them in to set them. Just to hold them in place until they can be crushed. Not necessary, but also isn't going to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#6]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
What are you using to install the rivets?
View Quote

This because I cannot think of a single point in my build process where gluing the rivet to hold it would help me out.  I am using AKB rivet setup though.  Maybe with bolt cutters I could almost see a use but I dont know.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kells81:

This because I cannot think of a single point in my build process where gluing the rivet to hold it would help me out.  I am using AKB rivet setup though.  Maybe with bolt cutters I could almost see a use but I dont know.
View Quote
I use the bolt cutter style and don't see how it would help.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a bit of grease (gunsmith glue) to hold rivets in place if you need them there to flip the receiver over or whatever. Ideally, they should be tight enough that they shouldn't fall out anyway, but some holes are bigger than others. Giggity.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Instead of glue to hold the rivets in place, my bucking bar & a piece of flat wood hold the receiver/trunnion on each side in place in the shop vise, then the rivet crusher/modified bolt cutter crushes the rivet to its final locked in place in the trunnion. This is done 6 times on the front assembly & on some builds with short rivets on the rear trunnion.

This method of build has worked since first starting it in 2004/2005. To each his own in building methods.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top