Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2022 10:52:45 AM EDT
Let me preface this by saying I am 70 years old, and not a Mall Ninja, Keyboard Komando, or Wannabe operator.  While I have 20+ years as an LEO, 7 years military, and even a couple as a domestic Security Contractor on a Homeland Security gig, I am NOT expecting to have to fight a war, and don't expect TEOTWAWKI or WTSHTF before I die.  

I got my first AK in about 1984 or 85, a Poly Tec "spiker", and since then have had at least a dozen and a half AKs of different flavors (Yugo, WASR, Hungarian, Saiga, East German, and Riley Defense) in the last 40 years.  I think the AK is a fabulous piece of engineering, and a great piece of combat kit.  

The problem is, I'd rather shoot my Mini-14 and Mini-30 (MUCH more accurate than any AK I have had, my AR15, or even my USGI WW2 M1 Carbine!  I keep trying to feel the love for the AK, but never can quite "love" the AK!

With that said, Atlantic Firearms has Pioneer Arms Polish AKs for $629, so I pulled the pin and got one, mostly "just because" an AK in the safe is a good thing!  I still have all my pre-ban and freedom week mags, a bunch of spare parts including a bolt assembly, and several thousand rounds of ammo, so I am set.

I know they have some cast stuff, but if I shoot 1,000 rounds in the next 5 years, that would be a lot.  Ruger Mini 14s and 30s are cast receivers and bolts, as do most 1911s on the market, as well as Auto Ordnance long guns., but they keep running!

Anyway, forged is better, but for me, the cast will be good enough.  At less than $700 delivered, it will be nice to have as a back up (I shoot my Mini-30 ALL the time).  Being as I work at a gun shop, I'll work off the dealer transfer fee and DROS in half a day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
holy freaking A...people are still buying those POS Pioneers?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, you bet.  I am 70 and NOT a weapons snob!  I did a whole bunch of research, and could not find a single FIRST hand report of a Pioneer failing in the last couple years.  Lots of internet FUD about "I know a guy, who knows a guy" BS.  Having been a professional firearms evaluator (armorer, range master, and firearms evaluator for a large PD, I can Ski's review from 4 years ago was less than objective, and was not current production.  Anyway, I'm happy with it, (and I carried a weapon for a living for 27 years).  It will sit in safe mostly, and my Mini-30 would be grabbed first.  Basically, I really don't give a f*ck about to pooh-poohers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wormraper] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By imarangemaster:
Yep, you bet.  I am 70 and NOT a weapons snob!  I did a whole bunch of research, and could not find a single FIRST hand report of a Pioneer failing in the last couple years.  Lots of internet FUD about "I know a guy, who knows a guy" BS.  Having been a professional firearms evaluator (armorer, range master, and firearms evaluator for a large PD, I can Ski's review from 4 years ago was less than objective, and was not current production.  Anyway, I'm happy with it, (and I carried a weapon for a living for 27 years).  It will sit in safe mostly, and my Mini-30 would be grabbed first.  Basically, I really don't give a f*ck about to pooh-poohers.
View Quote

holy yikes. Ok man, you do you. But yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes. Only one AK on the market is worse than these... I.O.

but in all seriousness. buy a 7.62x39 field guage and test that mother every time you shoot it. An ak losing headspace is VERY dangeious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#5]
Picked it up and installed a Commiefornia legal Phoenix Arms palm swell grip on it.  Much easier to use than a fin grip.  Sort of a Commie Mini-30!  Shown with Type 81 4 cell chest rigs, and Chinese "flat back" mags from the 1980s Poly Tech Type 56 Spiker RAW I had.

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a lot of flak on some AK sites about the cast trunnion. Even though Ruger casts all their bolts and receivers, with zero failures, I have seen lots of bad things have happened with Century and other cast trunnions.   It niggled at me, then I tripped on a sale at PSA for a G3 "Forged Classic" with all forged bolt, carrier, and trunnion.  The good part is I only paid $50 more than I did for the Pioneer, AND I have someone locally that will give me more for the Pioneer than I paid for it.

Yeah, its not an Arsenal....Oh Well, I have better thing to do with my money (like buy more ammo!)
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#7]
View Quote

Even though Ruger casts all their bolts and receivers, with zero failures, I have seen lots of bad things have happened with Century and other cast trunnions.   It niggled at me
View Quote

So you went from you "did a lot of research and couldn't find anything", to now you've "seen lots of bad things have happened with cast trunnions"?

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Here it is.  aMy brand new Made in the USA.  PALMETTO STATE ARMORY GF3 Forged Classic AK. (forged Trunnion, bolt, and carrier..  Wearing new Polish laminate furniture, a Polish sling, East German bayonet, Bulgarian poly 40, and Phoenix Industries Palm Swell AK grip.  FSB is dead straight, and fit and finish is awesome.  I can see why Rob Ski liked it!

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, I dug a little deeper, so what's your point????
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#10]
Yep, I dug a little deeper, so what's your point????
View Quote

My point is maybe hold off on calling people "weapon snobs" or "internet FUD" when they try to warn you about a specific maker of AKs. Maybe "dig a little deeper" before making an ass of yourself by listing all of your career accomplishments in each OP as if that makes you an expert in AK specific manufacturing techniques (hint: it doesn't). I guess so much for the "Basically, I really don't give a f*ck about to pooh-poohers" when you decided to look deeper and buy a rifle with forged components because people weren't praising your purchase decision and jerking you off over it. Oh well, another one to the ignore list.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#11]
Again, what's your point?  I'm 70, have had at least a dozen AKs through the years (since my first in 1985 or 1986), and decided I wasn't comfortable with cast trunnions, so I got one with forged, that I could afford on my retirement.  There is FUD on the internet, and if I believed it, I would have three Mini-14s and 30s.  I really don't care about what everyone else does or believes.  BTW, please do ignore me, I really don't care!
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a lot of flak on some AK sites about the cast trunnion. Even though Ruger casts all their bolts and receivers, with zero failures, I have seen lots of bad things have happened with Century and other cast trunnions.
View Quote

Did you forget the part where Ruger designed their parts to be cast, and switching how the front trunnion is manufactured from forged to cast without redesigning the dimensions is going to make it prone to failure?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Robski taught me to knife hand everyone.  And it works.  It was his job interview advisor opinion.

Thanks Rob!!

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top