Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2021 7:29:20 PM EDT
This is going to be a long thread, that I will try to update regularly. Sourcing materials will take a while, but I would like to unfu(k the IWI-US Gen II Galil Ace and return it to a decent configuration. I am not going to pass judgement on those of you that think the second generation is a decent rifle. I wish you all the happiness in the world, and I'm glad you enjoy your gear.

Step One will be acquiring all the materials to convert a 5.45 rifle and a 5.56 rifle (which will use rock and lock original galil mags). Last week, when these things were announced, I was lucky enough to come upon two semi-lowers via Krebs Customs. He still has a few in stock...

To be continued....
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
best fix is delete the polymer all together and rivet on an OG galil mag catch/trigger guard  and any pistol grip designed for a galil..back to as close to a 699 micro as possible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
best fix is delete the polymer all together and rivet on an OG galil mag catch/trigger guard  and any pistol grip designed for a galil..back to as close to a 699 micro as possible.
View Quote

I humbly disagree. I will likely use the OG galil mag catch (with minor modification), but use one of the polymer lowers pictured above which should complete the look. It should turn out something close to this in the end (with a longer rail):

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
other than looks...what purpose does all the extra polymer serve on a 5.45 or 7.62x39 or 5.56 with rock and lock??  On the other versions it is a mag adapter, on the rock and lock, just added bulk and a bit of weight and restricts grip option.   But if you dig the look...cool.

Interested to see how you will fix the bobbed front sight block.  I picked up a few Gen1 ace rifles to mod, but now they are out of production I may just build up my project from scratch on a US receiver...maybe I will see if ICON makes a good receiver...
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
other than looks...what purpose does all the extra polymer serve on a 5.45 or 7.62x39 or 5.56 with rock and lock??  On the other versions it is a mag adapter, on the rock and lock, just added bulk and a bit of weight and restricts grip option.   But if you dig the look...cool.

Interested to see how you will fix the bobbed front sight block.  I picked up a few Gen1 ace rifles to mod, but now they are out of production I may just build up my project from scratch on a US receiver...maybe I will see if ICON makes a good receiver...
View Quote

My understanding (and I am not expert) is the entire design of the lower was meant to minimize potential exposure of the milled portion to dust and debris. As I remember it, the phraseology that was used was something along the lines of "protecting the internal mechanism" from sand dust and debris both with the addition of the cover plate, full length bottom polymer lower, and a gas cylinder made to exacting tolerances.  

Realistically for me it is more about looks however. I am not some tier 1 military operator.... just a normal guy that goes shooting once or twice a month. There is no scenario that I can foresee where I will need to worry about using my rifles so much as to worry about excessive debris between cleanings.

More to the point, it is probably useful to discuss some of the other "upgrades" as well, not just their addition of the cut up polymer. For example, it appears the gen II units now lack the milled lightning cut as a means to save on production time and cost. This doesn't add too much weight to each unit, but it does add some, and make the gen II look uglier and less interesting to the average person. Again, a fraction of a pound is not really that big a deal, but it speaks to the cost-cutting measures imposed by IWI-US. Another major concern is the exposure of the gas piston in the gen II. Granted, I have not held one yet... so take my analysis worth a grain of salt, but it looks like railed cylinder is no longer there, exposing more components to possible debris.

The list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is going to be a long thread, that I will try to update regularly. Sourcing materials will take a while, but I would like to unfu(k the IWI-US Gen II Galil Ace and return it to a decent configuration. I am not going to pass judgement on those of you that think the second generation is a decent rifle. I wish you all the happiness in the world, and I'm glad you enjoy your gear.

Step One will be acquiring all the materials to convert a 5.45 rifle and a 5.56 rifle (which will use rock and lock original galil mags). Last week, when these things were announced, I was lucky enough to come upon two semi-lowers via Krebs Customs. He still has a few in stock...

1https://i.ibb.co/KWskbfn/C6-B44-E1-A-B451-4-C4-E-8-C88-E6-BFC1515-CF1.jpg

To be continued....
View Quote

Thx!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I too do not prefer the gen II. I think it is more about cost cutting than anything. If anyone has a line on a gen 1 and would be willing to share, it would be appreciated.

The gas tube on the new gen 2 is there, just hidden under the railed fore end. Iwi has update the product manual on their site.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm just hoping IWI will go this direction for the gen3

" />I
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The gas tube on the new gen 2 is there, just hidden under the railed fore end. Iwi has update the product manual on their site.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to know! I will still need a railed gas tube for the conversion I’m guessing?

Quoted:

Thx!

You are most welcome! I feel as if it’s my duty to completely unfu(k one of these abominations.

I have to admit: that configuration is slick!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Take note IWI: the only thing this might be missing is a continuous top rail.

(Admittedly, it's hard to improve on a classic without erasing the qualities that made it a classic).
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Take note IWI: the only thing this might be missing is a continuous top rail.

(Admittedly, it's hard to improve on a classic without erasing the qualities that made it a classic).
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, after talking with the rep from IWI-US (really nice fella who responds quickly), I can say that this project is probably DEAD unless someone makes a Gen 1 compatible receiver.

Apparently, the Gen 2 receiver is not the same and will not support the conversion I intended according to him. They did say that in the future a small batch of gen 1 might be imported again, but for now it is discontinued.

FML. Ahh well, best of luck to them and I will keep an eye out for the Gen 1's return.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the difference that is stopping the project?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the difference that is stopping the project?
View Quote

I won’t know for certain until I can examine the front of the receiver, but I imagine the front of the receiver is where the problem lies. It may be a simple get around, but we will have to wait until these become available and someone field strips it so I can determine if there is a path forward.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Worse case, do the 699 "Gen 3"  Mod!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Worse case, do the 699 "Gen 3"  Mod!
View Quote

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top