Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2022 3:39:56 PM EDT
Alright--I must be that guy.  Just got one Friday, take it apart to clean and lube it--and CANNOT GET THE DAMN COVER BACK ON.  I have probably cleaned and re-assembled AK's a few thousand times...I am making sure the tongue and groove are lined up, looks like I am literally millimeters from getting the top cover back in the slot, and I actually have a popped blood vessel from karate chopping it....HELP!?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a YouTube video that saved me

I'm like you, I've taken apart and reassembled an AK thousands of times but this one is not the same.

You essentially do a "karate chop" to get the cover to snap back into place.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have karate chopped the living s..t out of it--I watched the IWI video and LOOKS like I am doing everything right---am worried that between the beetus, arthritis and cumadin, I am going to tear my hand up worse and do something that will do more permanent damage.....I will try the rubber mallet.  Thanks for the replies, and if there is a video I am missing let me know please.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Rubber mallet. Mine were insanely tight the first 5-10 break downs before I could use a karate chop to get the cover back on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
There’s a little channel you put the recoil spring guide rod into and then you run the action and it will snap all together. If you go into it trying to reassemble it like an AK…it’ll piss you off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s a little channel you put the recoil spring guide rod into and then you run the action and it will snap all together. If you go into it trying to reassemble it like an AK…it’ll piss you off.
View Quote

This.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top