Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 9:54:12 AM EDT
First time poster, but longtime occassional lurker.

Finally had a reason to join. I'm the gun guy in the family. Recently was essentially given a Century Golani that shows little to no evidence of being used. Along with it came a front gas block with bayonet moun, the cuts for a bipod, a bipod, and a handguard, hanger and carry handle.

While I have shot AK types of rifles, this is my first one to own.

I go/no go'ed the chamber, fired the Golani to check for safety and reliability but not accuracy. All checked OK. As did check of spent ammunition cases.

Sent gun to local gunsmith to have gasblock changed.

Went to sight in gun, essentially doing the 25 yard zero used by the Army for the A2.

Gun strings shots horizontally in about a 6 inch spread.

All ammunition used (S&B 55gr. Federal 55gr. and Wolf 62 gr) produced same results.

Firing was done slow from a bench.

Both screws for adjusting windage tight.

Gas block and rear dustcover, where rear sight mounted are tight.

Barrel is tight in receiver.

Any ideas?

RCA

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?

RCA
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If it wasn't the wind, there's something pinching, or pushing on the barrel, maybe corroded rifling at the gas port, or possibly a bent barrel.

I've bent two pressing them in...  It's easier to do than you'd think.  How credible is your gunsmith?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunsmith is excellent.

Has done several things for me.

He recently turned down a FN A2 profile 20 inch 1/9 twist chrome lined AR barrel to A1 pencil barrel profile for me.

That rifle shoots like a heavy barrel.

Galil/Golani barrel interior appears as new.

After some research, I am assuming it is a Green Mountain, about which I have heard both good and bad.

I did have to use a pair of pliers and use considerably more pressure to lock in the little lever that secures the handguard when I mounted the new handguard with carry handle.

I think I'll put the original back on and test again.

RCA
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally getting around to post update.

Fired rifle with no handguard and still stringing shots horizontally. First shot will hit dead center and then walk to the left. Let barrel cool, lather, rinse, repeat.

Ordered barrel from Apex and it, and the rifle are at gunsmith.

Here is a representative example of 5 shot group from 25 yards.

RCA

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Any possibility the front sight assembly and post is loose and drifting with each shot? I see you mention it's tight, maybe pull screws and verify thread integrity?

That shot string looks very regular...
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Front sight assembly is tight. As are screws. Gun will shoot very accurate if I wait a minute between each shot. It is currently having the barrel replaced with one I found from Apex. It was the only barrel I could find. Only other option was to buy a blank and have it turned.

Are the barrels from Apex good barrels?

I see there is a thread about them, but no responses from anyone who has used one.

RCA
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got several of the Apex barrels in storage, but haven't built them yet. I, too, haven't seen any reviews on them, either good or bad.

This is a puzzler, I'd really like to hear about further developments. Good luck with it, hope the new barrel takes care of the issue. If it does, it would be very interesting to examine that old barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
As soon as I get the rifle back, I will post a review of the new barrel. Not sure how to do an autopsy on the old barrel though.

RCA
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you check the rear sights? See if the top cover is loose, it may need to be crimped a bit tighter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dubagel:
Did you check the rear sights? See if the top cover is loose, it may need to be crimped a bit tighter.
View Quote

Hey, could explain a little on how to crimp the top cover and the method used?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top