Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2023 7:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN]
What are some decent people/companies to build galils?

Anymore besides hillbilly firearms?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nictra] [#1]
I've used Matt Yeamans for 2 builds. The only thing is he doesn't do refinishing, but he can do engraving and everything else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeremy at Countryside Gunsmithing got my build up and running. He’s and ARFCOMmer as well
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PinelandAL:
Jeremy at Countryside Gunsmithing got my build up and running. He’s and ARFCOMmer as well
View Quote

@PinelandAL

What did he charge you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done a couple, have one in the shop queue right meow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Best to reach out and get a quote. He put a KNS piston in mine and some trigger work but could do more than that.

@jeremy2171
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeremy at Evocatus Strategic did some good Galil builds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm about to do a build myself as soon as my receiver gets here. I've built plenty of FALs and AKs and I'm hoping it won't be too dissimilar in process. Only thing I'm envisioning being an issue is headspacing the bolt. I don't have any guages so I'm going to try doing it with spent 5.56 cases and electrical tape, LOL. Crossing my fingers I don't get a bolt in the face or loose a hand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn’t use spent casings.  use live rounds (but remove your firing pin). An imi receiver stub will be helpful if you are trying to correct suspect machining on you us made receiver.  Good luck
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tomelroy1:
I wouldn’t use spent casings.  use live rounds (but remove your firing pin). An imi receiver stub will be helpful if you are trying to correct suspect machining on you us made receiver.  Good luck
View Quote

I actually broke down and bought a set of forstner 5.56 go and no-go guages.
I did finally end up using a live round once I got the headspace tight enough on a go guage that the bolt was close but not closing and was just shy of closing on the live round (the locking lug was like a 16th of an inch away from touching the receiver rail on closing). At that close I decided to remote test fire it for a few mags and everything was GTG.
Had a few failures to feed but chocked that up to either the crappy tula ammo or a need to polish the lip on the bullet guide and maybe add a slight feed ramp relief cut on the lower part of the barrel breach.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
I'm about to do a build myself as soon as my receiver gets here. I've built plenty of FALs and AKs and I'm hoping it won't be too dissimilar in process. Only thing I'm envisioning being an issue is headspacing the bolt. I don't have any guages so I'm going to try doing it with spent 5.56 cases and electrical tape, LOL. Crossing my fingers I don't get a bolt in the face or loose a hand.
View Quote

Buy some gauges. They're cheap insurance and remove doubt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie_84:

Buy some gauges. They're cheap insurance and remove doubt.
View Quote

I did grab a set of go- no go guages and got the old gal running like it should. I still have a bayonet lug to re attach that broke off when I was removing the barrel stub during demilling. Guess I'll either weld it back on or just say to heck with it and just leave it off.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top