Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2019 12:51:42 AM EDT
Bummed!

AIM surplus parts kid, ATI barrel, tortort receiver.

Only shot about 50rounds but gun was running good, working with surplus mags.

I believe it happened when I charged the rifle hammer pin walked out and hammer ended up out of line.

Would clips on the hammer pin help? Definitely don’t want to go thru this again.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-ar-arm-sar-semi-auto-pin-retainer-spring-new-us-made.html
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Just like any AK, it should have a pin retainer spring/plate
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The AK Master Mount doubles as an optics rail and trigger / hammer pin retainer.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ak-master-mount-side-steel
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Both mine have c-clips on each end. Not sure if that's the usual spec.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both mine have c-clips on each end. Not sure if that's the usual spec.
View Quote
Where did you get the clips?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The AK Master Mount doubles as an optics rail and trigger / hammer pin retainer.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ak-master-mount-side-steel
View Quote
That looks really nice but will it work on a galil I didn’t see galil listed?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
RSA retaining plate

Tapco retaining plate

Use a mix of these in my AKs; RSA was first on the scene, Tapco has a little wider variety of fit without modifications. Some folks swear by the c-clips but the plates make it easier to swap the trigger group out.

My Galil is still a receiver and a parts kit in a box, but I have an RSA plate thrown in there for when it gets built.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RSA retaining plate

Tapco retaining plate

Use a mix of these in my AKs; RSA was first on the scene, Tapco has a little wider variety of fit without modifications. Some folks swear by the c-clips but the plates make it easier to swap the trigger group out.

My Galil is still a receiver and a parts kit in a box, but I have an RSA plate thrown in there for when it gets built.
View Quote
Any idea if these work for the galil?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RSA retaining plate

Tapco retaining plate

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would say no.  I carefully tried modifying one, but no luck.  It runs into problems due to the addition of the left side safety lever.  The top of the that lever gets in the way.  Unless you come across a Galil kit out there that is built with significantly different parts, just use a spring retainer.  They can be a pain in the arse to figure out, but they work.  Once you get the hang of how it's supposed to fit, they're really not that complicated, either.  https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-ar-arm-sar-semi-auto-pin-retainer-spring-new-us-made.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would say no.  I carefully tried modifying one, but no luck.  It runs into problems due to the addition of the left side safety lever.  The top of the that lever gets in the way.  Unless you come across a Galil kit out there that is built with significantly different parts, just use a spring retainer.  They can be a pain in the arse to figure out, but they work.  Once you get the hang of how it's supposed to fit, they're really not that complicated, either.  https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-ar-arm-sar-semi-auto-pin-retainer-spring-new-us-made.html
View Quote
Thanks really appreciate the advice this is uncharted territory for me
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
No problem, my friend.  I really did try to make a retainer plate work, but it quickly became apparent that this type of device really had no place to attach itself at the top of the thumb safety lever.  Either that, or I'm just too feeble-minded to figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely not. The safety is wider to accommodate the left side selector.

You need to go to Home Depot and get the smallest hitch pin in the drawer (I can't think of the size).

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Absolutely not. The safety is wider to accommodate the left side selector.

You need to go to Home Depot and get the smallest hitch pin in the drawer (I can't think of the size).

https://imgur.com/OHSX1zC
View Quote
Sounds good, so would I just notch the existing hammer pin to accommodate the hitch pin?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Ace hardware or similer stores typically stock hairpin type clips. Just take the pin in with you to get the correct size.

The rounded groove in a AK pin works better with the round hairpin clips than e-clip's squared off profile.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
E-Cips of the right diameter work great....you need a small, flat bladed screw driver that is lightly magnetic to get them in there and then you have to hold your tongue jusssst right to pop them on with another flat bladed driver.

I like this little guy right here:

You slide it in along the mag-well.  The very front bent end goes UNDER the trigger group pin.  You used a flat bladed driver or a brass punch to push the bent end down and then slide it under the trigger group pin by pushing from the loop end.  The hump goes OVER the hammer pivot.  The loop sits flush along the back of the mag well.

The one in this pic has the loop bent to the left for some reason...probably for the photo so it would sit right on the table.  They are flat in reality.  All features sit upon the same plane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
E-Cips of the right diameter work great....you need a small, flat bladed screw driver that is lightly magnetic to get them in there and then you have to hold your tongue jusssst right to pop them on with another flat bladed driver.

I like this little guy right here:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Retainer_Wire_JPG-1211677.jpg

You slide it in along the mag-well.  The very front bent end goes UNDER the trigger group pin.  You used a flat bladed driver or a brass punch to push the bent end down and then slide it under the trigger group pin by pushing from the loop end.  The hump goes OVER the hammer pivot.  The loop sits flush along the back of the mag well.

The one in this pic has the loop bent to the left for some reason...probably for the photo so it would sit right on the table.  They are flat in reality.  All features sit upon the same plane.
View Quote
Thanks I’ll look for those clips is there ones you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top