Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 6/23/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
My old buffer is breaking down due to age. It is in a IMI Galil ARM. It was a South African buffer I bought and installed many years ago.

Did the Israeli Military use buffers in their Galils? I'm not even sure it is really needed.

What ya'll think? (yes- I know it can't hurt but as much as I shoot it it may just be a waste).

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:43:28 PM EDT
Ya know...I've been running my build without one for some time now.  Though the Galil is sort of a heavy piece...I do notice the "abrupt" recoil but it certainly isn't heavy.  I was thinking of throwing an OEM design buffer in it for some time now....but it runs so good as is that I am just too lazy to commit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:28:50 AM EDT
Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned, I currently have a South African one that is circular and goes inside the rear where the stock joins with the receiver. It is crumbling- not worn from use but from age. Perhaps the R4 (South African) used them, but not sure if IMI used them in their military guns. Yea- I know it's not much dollar wise, but I buy one in a flash if it was really needed.

I have several AK types and have never used a buffer in them and they are just fine. I do not like the type of buffer that goes on the backside of the recoil rod, to me, they limit the travel of the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:50:05 PM EDT
Israel never used them in their galils. They're not necessary. However, if you want to replace it, 24hourtactical has them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2020 5:28:02 PM EDT by flyer]
FYI, they are made to be rotated when worn.  If it is cracking / worn on top, remove the pin and rotate it.  I have also hear of some drilling another hole to be able to get four rotations.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:40:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:58:06 PM EDT
Standard AK buffer should work also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:52:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2020 10:29:46 AM EDT by Snake-in-the-Grass]
Thanks.

It's not worn from taking a beating (I'm not sure it ever has any hit marking on it), but crumbling/pieces just breaking off. They must disintegrate over time. Maybe I had oil on it at some time.

I'm probably get another one just because. Guess I got my money's worth out of the last one- it has to be 25/30 years old. :O)

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2020 5:08:34 PM EDT by Snake-in-the-Grass]
Thank you. I am aware of those but to me they shorten the movement of the bolt carrier. The South African ones at least allow full carrier movement.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:17:27 PM EDT
My NOS Glilon doesn’t have one.. so I guess it’s not needed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:36:40 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snake-in-the-Grass:
Thank you. I am aware of those but to me they shorten the movement of the bolt carrier. The South Africian ones at least allow full carrier movement.
View Quote

I had REALLY bad luck with the AK type buffer. (I don't like buffers in general....excepting the AR design, of course)
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:02:00 PM EDT
FYI, the new Galil ACE uses an ak style buffer from the factory. You can probably get them from iwi store too.
Top Top