Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 12/4/2019 4:58:35 PM EDT
I just ordered a parts kit, I am now looking for a receiver. Who makes the best receivers for a Galil build?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 6:10:22 PM EDT
Tortort
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 6:18:00 PM EDT
CNC Warrior
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 7:26:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cjgem:
Tortort
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 1:22:22 PM EDT
Tortort!

Is there an echo in here?

Atlantic has them ready to ship!

If you want the Israeli details like the scope mount, lightening cut, or engravings, Jeff Miller (Hillbilly Firearms, the Galil Whisperer) can add them but they are pricey options.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2019 2:06:59 PM EDT by Ghostface]
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I’ll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

ETA  I did find contact for Hillbilly firearms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:37:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

View Quote
Jeff is your guy.  Go with a Tortort 80 percent and have Jeff build it to your kit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:13:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:20:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Jeff is your guy.  Go with a Tortort 80 percent and have Jeff build it to your kit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

How hard is it to complete an 80%? What tools are needed? I don’t have anything other than hand held power tools.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:58:39 PM EDT
Atlantic's Tortort receivers are complete, not 80%, although Tortort does sell an 80% on their own website.  To finish an 80%, I suggest you at least have access to a drill press, along with the corresponding, undersize drill bits and finish reamers(5mm, 7mm, 10mm, and 11mm) and probably a 6 or 8 inch set of calipers to mark the trigger/hammer/selector holes prior to drilling.  I purchased two of Tortort 80%'s in different batches(one in June and one in August of 2019).  The first receiver needed to have cutouts completed on the underside of the receiver for the trigger, pistol grip nut, and thumb safety slot.  The second receiver came with these cutouts already finished, leaving only the 6 holes to bore on the receiver right and left sides (and just a little finish work on the thumb safety slot for ease of movement).

The ejector also needs to be cut out, and that needs to be done carefully so that the part isn't overheated (Dremel beware), which will ruin the temper.  You also need to go slowly and check fit as you go; otherwise, you could easily take off too much material.

That's just the beginning, though.  There is the actual rifle assembly.  You will need to properly torque the barrel into the receiver and check headspace.  You need to be able to press on the front sight, drill the pin holes, and drill the gas port, and make sure that all of those measurements line up with the gas tube length, as well as the fit of the top cover.  The front sight tower needs to be on straight so that your sights align.  There is riveting required for the bullet guide and trigger guard.

There is a tutorial on assembly over at Weaponsguild.com.   Go to the "Parts Kit Builds" section and find the "AK" page.  It's a sticky near the top of that section, although it only deals with a complete, registered receiver.  I have not seen an 80% tutorial online.  If you still have lots of questions, check out Weaponsguild, and if you still have questions after that, get in touch with hillbillyfirearms.com, as Jeff Miller is as good a source as you'll find on the subject.  There is a lot of information that you need to be aware of prior to starting this type of project.  I put off building one of these for years, as it was quite a bit more complicated that putting together a regular AK kit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:55:00 PM EDT

How hard is it to complete an 80%? What tools are needed? I don't have anything other than hand held power tools.
View Quote
I wouldn't build it at home without a hell of a good milling machine.  I'd have Jeff build it to the kit I sent him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:39:00 PM EDT

I wouldn't build it at home without a hell of a good milling machine.  I'd have Jeff build it to the kit I sent him.
View Quote
Agreed.  I didn't do mine until I bought a mill.  Mine's a Little Machine Shop model 3990 (mini-mill), and the ability to accurately place the pin holes is a tremendous improvement over calipers and a drill press.  Just ask my AK receivers.  Huge difference.  A small boring head can cut the 10 and 11mm holes, too, without the need to purchase more drill bits and reamers.  It also allowed me to quickly build a decent barrel wrench out of scrap steel.

In addition to a mill, it doesn't hurt to have a 10 or 20 ton shop press at your disposal, either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:53:01 AM EDT
torttort all the way
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 1:18:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
I ended up buying a 100% Tortort receiver and I dropped all of the parts off at the smith last month. The wait begins, I hope to have it before summer is over...
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:04:30 AM EDT
I have purchased 2 receivers from TORTORT.  Both have problems.  The standard galil was relatively easy to fix and overall is a beautiful receiver, the other was a MICRO receiver that Jeff Miller did (including some custom work)  ...I was shocked that he would send out a receiver that had so many issues.  it should have never have been sold for any thing less that a second, but with his reputation i would have figured it would never have seen the light of day and simply should have been cut in half and tossed in the trash.   I ruffled Jeffs feathers when i called him out on all the problem (included the fact that the trigger and hammer pins had been drilled in the wrong spot, then welded and redrilled) today I am still  waiting for resolution Ben promised.  Its been nearly 8 months since Ben and I agreed on the resolution to the problems,  I will update when resolved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2020 1:16:38 PM EDT by Tenngalil]
Hmmm.
let's see- you called and said you had a problem with the rec.

i did listen to your problem and offered your money back on the cost of the rec. and any engraving you had me do.
nothing more or less than i'd expect if i had bought something.

no feathers ruffled- yet.

that was not good enough- you wanted a free rec.?
and no- after the first telling of all your reasons you are entitled to free rec. my feathers weren't ruffled- but after the 4th or 5th time i got pretty pissed.

i'm not there anymore but- i will simply say it again- ain't gonna happen- not then, not now.

i'll refund the purchase price +whatever you spent on engraving- that is what i offered then and what i offer now.

simply return the rec. as sent to you and a check goes the next day- simple.

the only reason you didn't have your money before is you refused to return the part without getting something for nothing.

so, balls in your court.
send it back- move on.

oh, and just in case you forgot what i told you before Ben has no say in this- the MAR's are my baby and my call not his.

just an update- i checked my tablet for your job- did i mention i love my new software?

strange thing is the first two pics. in your folder are of the repair on the holes.
why would i need pics. of that?
simple- i wouldn't.
i took those to send to you to show what the deal was when i told you it had been repaired.
and you agreed there would be no issues otherwise i wouldn't have went forward with the engraving and other work.

the next pics. show the engraving and all the extra work you wanted done as you couldn't do it yourself.

it seems pretty strange to me you buy an ARM rec. and a MAR rec. at the same time and then do a less than flattering you tube video on them as soon as you have one in hand.

for a guy that can't put one together or even set the rivets but you expect me to believe you are a manuf. and design expert???

so, i'm going to put 2+2 together and say you work for some scumbag that tried to steal Bens and Denny's work a while back and make his own recs.- seems to not be working out very well for them right now though.
maybe you shouldn't have slept thru reverse enginering in collage.

and so i'll say it again send back the MAR- whenever you are thru trying to pull the specs. off it of course.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:58:24 PM EDT
Hillbilly firearms has build 4 absolutely beautiful ARM's for me with Tortort receivers not only do they look fantastic but run 100%. Jeff has always either picked up the phone or called me when I had questions or was trying to help me find the correct parts on builds he has done for me. I plan on sending another kit in a couple of months with yet another Tortort receiver.

my .02
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:13:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tenngalil:
Hmmm.
let's see- you called and said you had a problem with the rec.

i did listen to your problem and offered your money back on the cost of the rec. and any engraving you had me do.
nothing more or less than i'd expect if i had bought something.

no feathers ruffled- yet.

that was not good enough- you wanted a free rec.?
and no- after the first telling of all your reasons you are entitled to free rec. my feathers weren't ruffled- but after the 4th or 5th time i got pretty pissed.

i'm not there anymore but- i will simply say it again- ain't gonna happen- not then, not now.

i'll refund the purchase price +whatever you spent on engraving- that is what i offered then and what i offer now.

simply return the rec. as sent to you and a check goes the next day- simple.

the only reason you didn't have your money before is you refused to return the part without getting something for nothing.

so, balls in your court.
send it back- move on.

oh, and just in case you forgot what i told you before Ben has no say in this- the MAR's are my baby and my call not his.

just an update- i checked my tablet for your job- did i mention i love my new software?

strange thing is the first two pics. in your folder are of the repair on the holes.
why would i need pics. of that?
simple- i wouldn't.
i took those to send to you to show what the deal was when i told you it had been repaired.
and you agreed there would be no issues otherwise i wouldn't have went forward with the engraving and other work.

the next pics. show the engraving and all the extra work you wanted done as you couldn't do it yourself.

it seems pretty strange to me you buy an ARM rec. and a MAR rec. at the same time and then do a less than flattering you tube video on them as soon as you have one in hand.

for a guy that can't put one together or even set the rivets but you expect me to believe you are a manuf. and design expert???

so, i'm going to put 2+2 together and say you work for some scumbag that tried to steal Bens and Denny's work a while back and make his own recs.- seems to not be working out very well for them right now though.
maybe you shouldn't have slept thru reverse enginering in collage.

and so i'll say it again send back the MAR- whenever you are thru trying to pull the specs. off it of course.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Top Top