Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/18/2022 5:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked]
Looking for a couple of Galil barrels, and likely going with something US made. Looking at both an ARM and SAR barrel...

I see on Gunbroker, Ikon is offering 18" ARM barrels that are listed as Cold Hammer Forged...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/931927263

Anyone have experience with these Ikon Barrels or feedback on Ikon at all?

How about the barrels Apex Gun Parts is occasionally offering?

Any other suggestions for good barrels?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#1]
I have one of the Apex barrels on a build, it's decent. It not the best you can get by any means but it's not a sewer pipe either. I was banging 3 MOA plates a couple of days ago with mine. They were a deal at $100 when I bought mine a couple of years ago. I'm not sure I would pay $300 for it now but there are not many options available at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Apex just restocked more Galil barrels yesterday for $200
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#3]
Does anyone sell chrome lined or nitride barrels?

Let me rephrase that, does anyone make one that isn't $500. At that point you might as well by two normal ones.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I made mine from a blank because I got tired of waiting and wasn't paying 400 for an Ikon one. Blank was 35 bucks, found dimensions online, about a day on the lathe.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:16:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#7]
There is someone looking to do a run of Galil barrels and possibly with CHF blanks and the possibility of Chrome lined as well. Don't have any personal experience, but seems to have good feedback for previous runs of Galil barrels.

SAR length barrels look like a go within 1-2 months..

May also do AR/ARM barrels if enough interest.

Its in the Galil section at akfiles.com. Think you have to be registered there to view.

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/galil-barrel-source.484043/

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
There is someone looking to do a run of Galil barrels and possibly with CHF blanks and the possibility of Chrome lined as well. Don't have any personal experience, but seems to have good feedback for previous runs of Galil barrels.

SAR length barrels look like a go within 1-2 months..

May also do AR/ARM barrels if enough interest.

Its in the Galil section at akfiles.com. Think you have to be registered there to view.

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/galil-barrel-source.484043/

View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:59:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
If you are still interested....

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/galil-sar-13-1-chf-chromed.498916/

@CPT_CAVEMAN
View Quote

@Buck_Naked

He says he makes stuff you can't get online. With the amount of SAR kits hitting the market you'd think a 16.1" you can use with an SAR would make sense. That one dude said 16.25, but seems longer than needed
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My my AR build I used the barrel Apex sold with the kit if you picked it as an option. It seems to work fine except it had the damn handguard retainer slot cut already and that is not good when each barrel and receiver may headspace differently. I still had to have a few thousands removed from the shoulder to get a tight headspace. Before that the headspace was way too big.

For my Galil MAR I used Evocatus Strategic. The barrel wasn't cheap, but it is nice and went together without much issue. Accuracy seems good for a short 8.3" barrel. All of their barrels are quite pricey.
Evocatus
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 4:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#12]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
My my AR build I used the barrel Apex sold with the kit if you picked it as an option. It seems to work fine except it had the damn handguard retainer slot cut already and that is not good when each barrel and receiver may headspace differently. I still had to have a few thousands removed from the shoulder to get a tight headspace. Before that the headspace was way too big.

For my Galil MAR I used Evocatus Strategic. The barrel wasn't cheap, but it is nice and went together without much issue. Accuracy seems good for a short 8.3" barrel. All of their barrels are quite pricey.
Evocatus
View Quote

@M1Lou

How did their barrels headspace and what kind/brand receiver did you use?

He mentions in his videos they're purposely long which makes you have to force match your bolt. Seems like with all the headspace issues ATI has they'd work great for their receivers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

@M1Lou

He mentions in his videos they're purposely long which makes you have to force match your bolt. Seems like with all the headspace issues ATI has they'd work great for their receivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Evocatus

@M1Lou

I used a Hillbilly Firearms receiver. The Evocatus barrel was so tight I did have to shim the barrel out and then force match the bolt. Force matching took way less time than I thought. I used use the method they shown on their YouTube channel to force match.

Another option is Hillbilly Firearms for MAR barrels. He sells an 8.75" and an 11" option. He so has SAR barrels but is out of stock as I write this.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I used a Hillbilly Firearms receiver. The Evocatus barrel was so tight I did have to shim the barrel out and then force match the bolt. Force matching took way less time than I thought. I used use the method they shown on their YouTube channel to force match.

Another option is Hillbilly Firearms for MAR barrels. He sells an 8.75" and an 11" option. He so has SAR barrels but is out of stock as I write this.
View Quote

That's interesting, thought HF used tortort receivers
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Yes, he uses Tort Tort and then finishes them how you want for markings. I also used his bullet guide as the one in my kit was torched to hell.

Since we are talking Galils, here is my Apex kit build with Apex barrel and AWO receiver. Then the MAR below. The MAR still needs some work and then to finish the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#16]

Yes, he uses Tort Tort and then finishes them how you want for markings. I also used his bullet guide as the one in my kit was torched to hell.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395225/20220905_175448-2536617.jpg

Since we are talking Galils, here is my Apex kit build with Apex barrel and AWO receiver. Then the MAR below. The MAR still needs some work and then to finish the receiver.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395225/20220905_175448-2536617.jpg

Those Evocatus barrels are suppose to be ideal for tortort receivers. Surprised you had to shim.

Nice looking rifles
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

@M1Lou

You wouldn't be willing to post the number/size that's on your bolt would you?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M1Lou] [#18]
I pulled the bolt on the MAR and it has the number 31 on it. There is also a large P like a proof mark on one of the lugs. I don't see any other numbers on the bolt. The one good thing is the wear patter on the bolt lugs looks uniform, so force matching the bolt worked for me.

@CPT_CAVEMAN
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I pulled the bolt on the MAR and it has the number 31 on it. There is also a large P like a proof mark on one of the lugs. I don't see any other numbers on the bolt. The one good thing is the wear patter on the bolt lugs looks uniform, so force matching the bolt worked for me.

@CPT_CAVEMAN
View Quote

Mmm, should have been a number on the thick part of the stim/tail. That's crazy.

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top