BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2021 7:39:52 PM EDT
Saw one of these rifles (5.56) at my local gun store earlier today and it is one beautiful rifle. I’d like to buy one but I’m not sure I can justify it given its price. It’s heavy, pricey, and doesn’t look to be as optic-friendly as an AR.

Does this rifle have any advantages over an AR? Would you buy one again, and if so, why?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both a 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 Galil Aces, and no, I wouldn’t buy again.  You’ve listed a lot of the issues with the guns.  Add in that it’s pretty proprietary.  There are better guns for tge same/less money, especially in 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure would
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In 5.56, I don't see the point

I have one in 7.62x39 and yes I absolutely would buy again. I love it, fun to shoot. I rarely shoot my Arsenal AK's anymore.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  I'd buy another one.  It's hard to pull the trigger on current prices.  $1800 is much.  If I didn't have one, then I'd pony up for $1800.
Since I already own one, I'd probably buy it now at $1600.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Best AK-type rifle I own.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I really appreciate the replies. I still have some thinking to do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont over think it.....you can always sell it.., but get the 5.56 pistol first.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Big fan of the 556 and 7.62x39, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO its the best current production factory AK today.

On the 7.62 X 39 version its pure classic Galil under the plastic once removed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes to the 7.62x39 Ace with the classic Galil stock.
Yes to the 7.62 NATO version when CF had the blems for $999.  Otherwise, I'd probably pass on that one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m going to pass on the 5.56 version I saw. If it were either of the other two calibers I’d bring it home but I just don’t see any benefit to the Ace over a standard M4.

I’m really grateful for everyone who took the time to post a reply here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I liked my 7.62x39 so much I got a 5.45 when they came out
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Not the 5.56 one when Sig 556s are around and cheaper, better AK style imo. Better ergos, compatibility with Swiss 551 parts, accessories, uppers/lowers, optics mounting. Forged lower, not polymer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, because when when they stop importing these people will be asking themselves why didn't they buy one. There doesn't always have to be a practical reason to own a cool gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
in 5.45 of course.

in 5.56 no, I'd buy a LMT/KAC for same coin.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
get at least one in each caliber, but the 5.56 has the last round bolt hold open and take AR mags and are the least expensive of the bunch...people pay crazy money for the UA mag adapters for their galils and the 5.56 ace pistol is just bad ass if you are a micro galil fan.  It basically the ultimate Micro Galil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
The pictures in this thread just confirm my feelings; These are some good looking rifles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I would buy my 7.62x39 pistol (now SBR) again for sure. Wouldn’t want to pay much more though. I think I paid $1550ish.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]
If there was an AK I'd recommend to an AR15 person, it would be a Galil Ace in 5.56.
As they'd learn more about the Galil Ace and how similar it is to the original Galil, they'd realize all the nagging shortcomings of most other AKs.
Throw in the huge pluses of accepting STANAG mags and no buffer tube to constantly work around.

Downside: While the Ace has the picatinny down to the rear sight, its still AK-based and magnified optics are still always going to feel ergonomically-off versus the AR15.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought the Galil Ace 5.56 pistol with folding SB tactical brace today.  Price was high as noted ($1799 tax included), but I had gotten my bonus at work so WTH.  I don't put it past the Dems to be able to get anything passed at this point since RHINO's voted with them in the House.  A new ban could be only days or weeks away, I said COULD be.  

I already have a crap ton few 5.56mm AR carbines, rifles and pistols so this lets me have something different that's still compact and especially with a D60 drum really, really pisses the Dems off.  Not to mention it uses the same mags and ammo.  No brainer for me.  

I would note that I DID buy again, as my first Galil Ace was a 7.62x39 carbine I paid $900 for.  I had to sell it when money got tight and their values skyrocketed but I like them enough that I paid almost twice that price for the 5.56mm pistol.

Earl
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell yeah! Love my 7.62x39 pistol. I SBRed it, installed a KNS gas piston and a Surefire FH for my SOCOM 7.62 can. Runs like a dream.

I see zero downsides to the Galil ACE 5.56 if you appreciate that you are getting an AK that will outlast any AR made today. it’s not my Geissele 11.5” or DD 16” (which I love and train with), it’s a Galil ACE. I would take my Galil ACE to the jungle or desert any day, not my ARs. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in 5.45 of course.

in 5.56 no, I'd buy a LMT/KAC for same coin.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/fullsizeoutput_37b-1806135.jpg
View Quote

Not being snarky...genuinely sincere question....where can I get a KAC for $1800?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not being snarky...genuinely sincere question....where can I get a KAC for $1800?
View Quote

You can't even get an SR15 upper for $1800

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]

I have two Aces and I really love them.  I have a x39 Rifle and a SBR 5.56.  Frankly, I think the are the best AK on the market.  They are built so well, and like a tank.  These are in service with several foreign militaries and they really seem up to the task.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I'd buy another to go with the 556 I already have.

Galil weren't available at all for close to 30 years and prices were insane for the few that made it into the country. Getting a new, IWI made Galil with a warranty in the caliber of your choice for under $2k? It's a no brainer.

Practically, any 556 chambered rifle will deliver a bullet. But ARs are boring.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence my question.  If one could point me in the proper direction, I would probably buy 3.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the 5.56 pistol and while I've only shot it a few times, the fit and finish are absolutely fantastic. However, it's my only "AK-style" firearm so I'm sure I'm not as knowledgeable as others here. I think I would have rather got the longer barrel version if I could do it again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]
In 7.62x39 yes
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't.  I actually sold mine and went back to an Arsenal.  I thought I'd LOVE the Galil ACE.  I love the AK platform and the mechanics of it.  Figured the ACE would be the ultimate gun for me since it has better ergos, night sights, etc., but I actually didn't like how annoyingly overgassed it was.  The gun is very nice overall, don't get me wrong, but I think some people who get it are biased and a bit fanboyish for it.  At the end of the day it's a Gucci AK with better ergonomics and slightly better accuracy.  I found my SLR-101S/SAM7 to have a smoother action, better trigger, and overall it shot smoother and was more enjoyable than the ACE where it matters: pulling the trigger.  That is what surprised me most is how nice the Arsenal milled rifles shoot and it made me appreciate them more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an ACE in 5.56. I really wanted one in 7.63x39 but couldn't find one at the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I love mine, but probably would not pay the high prices for them now.

Especially because I needed to add a bunch of KNS parts to really enjoy it. The KNS pistons are pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely would buy again. The 7.62 NATO version is quite gentle, handles well, has stunning accuracy with ball ammo, and is surprisingly light. Suppresses nicely with an OSS Helix, too!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Absolutely would buy again. The 7.62 NATO version is quite gentle, handles well, has stunning accuracy with ball ammo, and is surprisingly light. Suppresses nicely with an OSS Helix, too!
View Quote

I know above I said I didn't care for my x39 but I would like to try a 7.62 NATO eventually.  I've heard from people who've owned some of each model that it's kind of relatable to the SCAR series: the intermediate caliber guns are good but nothing super special over a nice AK like an Arsenal, or a AR (in the SCAR's case); but the .308 variant is just an entirely different beast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know above I said I didn't care for my x39 but I would like to try a 7.62 NATO eventually.  I've heard from people who've owned some of each model that it's kind of relatable to the SCAR series: the intermediate caliber guns are good but nothing super special over a nice AK like an Arsenal, or a AR (in the SCAR's case); but the .308 variant is just an entirely different beast.
View Quote

It's certainly not perfect: not a great choice for magnified optics, stiff trigger that can be slappy, terrible OEM handguard, thin barrel means the zero shifts a little when you heat the suppressor. But it's still very much worth trying if you think you might like it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wouldn't.  I actually sold mine and went back to an Arsenal.  I thought I'd LOVE the Galil ACE.  I love the AK platform and the mechanics of it.  Figured the ACE would be the ultimate gun for me since it has better ergos, night sights, etc., but I actually didn't like how annoyingly overgassed it was.  The gun is very nice overall, don't get me wrong, but I think some people who get it are biased and a bit fanboyish for it.  At the end of the day it's a Gucci AK with better ergonomics and slightly better accuracy.  I found my SLR-101S/SAM7 to have a smoother action, better trigger, and overall it shot smoother and was more enjoyable than the ACE where it matters: pulling the trigger.  That is what surprised me most is how nice the Arsenal milled rifles shoot and it made me appreciate them more.
View Quote

I've read about the over-gassed issues here and elsewhere, it's what made me buyt the Arsenal instead. I really like the Galil side folder stock and had to have one. I too think that most buyers are biased and VERY fanboi-ish.
I'm glad I bought the Arsenal instead. I saw an Ace at a pawn shop and it's what made me want one so I researched it and for some reason the SAM7SF84E popped up and I started researching THAT and then ended up buying it. The action is soooo smooth compared to the Ace!
I don't know why the Galil's are over=gassed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Ab. So. LUTELY.

I'm not sure I'd get a 556 ace, though. I'd want to build a classic IMI galil, or I'd want to convert an ACE to the classic folder, grip, and rock and lock style mags. It would lose the bolt hold open function after removing the plastic, I think...and removing the plastic is a MUST, IMO.

I'd likely try to get a 5.45x39mm if I could find one of them (they're unicorns). My dad owns the pistol 7.62x39mm, and I would definitely purchase one, even though I already have an SBR that had its barrel chopped to 12.75".
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm a newb. How do you post the actual picture instead of just the url text?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Use the photo icon in the reply tools, url goes in the pop up.

Results look like this in the reply box.

AJ

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Have a 7.62 NATO from the $999 blem sale.
It's nice, don't think I'd buy one at full price.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think it makes sense for 5.56 or 5.45. The rifle is just too big/heavy for small rounds. Now if you want the 7.62x51 or the X39 I say go for it. I own both and recommend them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't think it makes sense for 5.56 or 5.45. The rifle is just too big/heavy for small rounds. Now if you want the 7.62x51 or the X39 I say go for it. I own both and recommend them.
View Quote

any factory gun in 5.45 makes sense. if you like the round there aint many quality choices to be had. I have the ace pistol in 5.45 because I jumped on it right away. do I love the gun? no I love the round. I also had a msar aug in 5.45, robinson arms....you get the idea.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Bruh don’t know whether you did or did not purchase the ACE rifle. I say yesssss buy it. Ok, you the best of both worlds. AK reliability and 5.56 availability IF there ever happens to be a ban on combloc ammo.  Mine is every bit as accurate as my Colt LE6720 and arsenal slr-106 while wait for it.............also accepting readily available as of now stanag mags.
Good luck,
BigEd
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bruh don’t know whether you did or did not purchase the ACE rifle. I say yesssss buy it. Ok, you the best of both worlds. AK reliability and 5.56 availability IF there ever happens to be a ban on combloc ammo.  Mine is every bit as accurate as my Colt LE6720 and arsenal slr-106 while wait for it.............also accepting readily available as of now stanag mags.
Good luck,
BigEd
View Quote

Thats worth repeating.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bruh don't know whether you did or did not purchase the ACE rifle. I say yesssss buy it. Ok, you the best of both worlds. AK reliability and 5.56 availability IF there ever happens to be a ban on combloc ammo.  Mine is every bit as accurate as my Colt LE6720 and arsenal slr-106 while wait for it.............also accepting readily available as of now stanag mags.
Good luck,
BigEd
View Quote

I just got my first Galil a Gen 2 pistol in 7.62 and I really love it. The only complains I have with it are no BHO and mag changes and both of those issues are not in the 5.56 version.

I know the AR is the hotness and it's lighter but I completely 100% agree with Big Ed because for me the only disadvantage when comparing the AR to the Galil Ace IMO is the weight otherwise it is at least as good as the AR if not slightly better. As a right handed person the Galil charge handle is in a better place that is easier to use and feels way more robust than the AR charge handle, the trigger is not a match trigger but for a battle rifle it's a pretty good trigger, it's very reliable, more than accurate enough. If you get the pistol version and you can fold the thing up and stuff it in a backpack you could never put a AR in without also adding some kind of law adapter which at that point would make the AR almost as heavy as the Galil and the Galil can be fired with the stock closed should you ever really need to do that. I am seriously thinking about getting the 5.56 Gen 1 pistol as my SHTF gun for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course I would, that being said the ones to get are the X39 & X51 30 cal model's. IMO the Ace is to heavy for 5.56. If one wants to shoot that get a Tavor.

" />
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#47]
After a particularly rough day at work I happened to drunk bid on a .308 ACE and also happened to win. So I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

any factory gun in 5.45 makes sense. if you like the round there aint many quality choices to be had. I have the ace pistol in 5.45 because I jumped on it right away. do I love the gun? no I love the round. I also had a msar aug in 5.45, robinson arms....you get the idea.
View Quote

I'm not saying don't get one in the smaller caliber, if one is that much invested in the 5.45 go for it. My personal favorite in that round is my VEPR74-FM.

" />

It also is a bit heavy for that little round however it's a tack driver.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Of course I would, that being said the ones to get are the X39 & X51 30 cal model's. IMO the Ace is to heavy for 5.56. If one wants to shoot that get a Tavor.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a443/hansellhd/DSCN5165.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a443/hansellhd/DSCN5165.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
View Quote

Since the Tavor is basically an AK in a bullpup chassis with great ergonomics that's actually some pretty good advice.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After a particularly rough day at work I happened to drunk bid on a .308 ACE and also happened to win. So I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

View Quote

I don't think you'll regret the purchase! The 7.62x51/.308 is my favorite of the ACE line.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top