Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 1:28:03 PM EDT
This may end up being about the most screwed up galil build ever. Trying to make a hero out of a zero.

This started out as one of the junk 80% receivers that orf sold years ago. I didnt know that its was a turd. Turns out that the barrel threads were totally hosed.  So let's do the next best things. I like doing rewelds.  Sourced a yugo m64 front stub since I've got a good m64 barrel. Then went at it. Kinda weird cutting up a seemingly good receiver.  But I did.  Pretty much where I'm at now. Got the front glued to the rear & started some file work.

More to come.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Files, files, & more files.

Dressing up a norinco hunter would have been much simpler I imagine.  But this one is mine.

Starting to look Galil like again.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
This is awesome, subbed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to get more files. Would seriously make some of this stuff easier.  I due time I reckon.  Maybe a mill. Yeah, a mill would be awesome.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Played with the surface grinder today.  Hopefully the rest of my parts show up soon. Been waiting on a jackwagon for a month as of today.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, what a rescue effort.

ETA: So the front trunion area is otherwise compatible with all the other Galil parts??!! I'm floored, had no idea.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, what a rescue effort.

ETA: So the front trunion area is otherwise compatible with all the other Galil parts??!! I'm floored, had no idea.
View Quote

They are, they aren't compatible.  Bolt carrier & bolt are more or less a drop in affair.  The dust cover would be as well on just about any other ak front stub, than the one I used. The Yugo M64 has that raised area on the left side of the receiver. That took some fitting.  Probably should have just changed the dust cover rather than the receiver. Would have been less work & probably have looked fine. The retainer for the hand guards needed opened up a bit to fit around the shoulder of the barrel. It fit the receiver itself great. Better than the original front of the the receiver.  So that was a small win.

The big issue is the gas tube. It fits into little cuts in the receiver & there is a notch milled into the receiver to act as a stop. The little cuts weren't bad. Turns out that two stacked dremel cutting wheels are the right thickness for the cuts. The big notch that's milled in, I've not done that yet. I dont have a mill & my drill is a turd. Gonna have to talk to a friend or get creative.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/Yugo-M64-reweld/51-166470/

All the detail I ever wanted on a Yugo M64. But it shows the raised area on the left side of the receiver I mentioned above.  Been a pain in the ass it has.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/Yugo-M64-reweld/51-166470/

All the detail I ever wanted on a Yugo M64. But it shows the raised area on the left side of the receiver I mentioned above.  Been a pain in the ass it has.
View Quote

Wow, impressive work though. Are you a licensed smith, or are you building only for yourself?

And, TIG I assume?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorta kinda. I used to do all the ak builds for a small manufacturer. Mostly did custom one off stuff. This was back when kit were cheap. When prices for parts & kits went through the roof, & the shop owner had some serious health issues. The shop was closed & I went on with life.

These are built for my own enjoyment.  I've thought about starting a shop. But with almost 4 teenagers in the house, I be perpetually broke.

Yes mostly tig welded on the M64. Only tig'd on this one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
great job!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
great job!!!
View Quote

Hat tip.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn good looking abomination!
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the kind words folks. This project is sorta on hold at the moment. Waiting on a part from Russia. The price is great, but shipping times are a bitch.

My project is  getting more frankengun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Project teaser.  These are what's coming from Moscow.

With that in mind & the need for a tax stamp. What direction does the hive mind think that I'm going with this?

God only knows how long customs is going to take. Havent done any international business since the rona.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Krinkil? Galilkov?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Krinkil? Galilkov?
View Quote

I like em.

Going to be a sorta mix between a Bulgarian AR-M2F, AR-SF, & Galil.

The Russian folding stocks suck. A lot. The underfolder is painful as hell to shoot. Especially in 7.62x39. The triangle sidefloder is worlds better. But since it folds to the left, you can't have a mounted optic with the stock folded.
The Galil stock being a almost direct copy of a Fn-fal para stock is great. Comfy to shoot, more than sturdy, folds to the right.

The sight radius on these short barrel Russian guns is super bad. This is why I'm keeping the Galil dust cover / rear sight. It's gonna give me about the same sight radius as a 16" Ar-15. I dont like relying on optics, so I want good irons.

I've never been particularly fond of the hand guards on an Ak. They retain a ton of heat from the barrel with no good way to get it out. Those vent holes are tiny. The Galil on the the other hand, the entire top of the hand guard is open. Lots & lots of air flow. Plus theres a heat shield in there too.

I dont know how long the barrel is going to be yet. I gotta wait till the parts show up from Moscow.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]
After a pause in work on this, got most of it knocked out.  Decided to not go the sbr route for the time being.  Maybe at some point in the future. Ended up using a new made barrel & scored some Rpk47 mags. Still waiting on an A1 bird cage with 14x1LH threads to show up & I need to get some windage screws & a roll pin for the stock. Put Ak-74m side on it & am now looking for an appropriate optic. Thinking about a PK-AS. But havent settled on something yet. Thinking of having it cerakoated. Not real happy with the alumahyde on the yugo M64 next to it in the pictures.  

I call it the Yugalil.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
By chance or luck, I ended up taking ownership of this gun, this weekend (I believe it's the same, can't see images)
It's a beast and A bad ass work of art. Proud to call it mine
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top