Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/7/2021 8:02:56 PM EDT
Working on a Galil AR barrel install. It’s an IDF old-but-nice one, obviously already drilled for gas port/etc. Rifling is there and chrome lined, kind of don’t want to give up on it so easily. I got the barrel timed right to about 1:00 and it will tighten to 12:00. But- the headspace is just a hair too tight. A quarter turn of the barrel back out and GO gauge is happy (NOGO gauge unhappy).

So before I go on an expensive hunt for an uncut barrel, I see two options to try and make this one work:

1. Trim a little off the back of the bolt lugs.  Need to loose ~0.02. Bolt is NICE and kind of don't want to fuck that up.
2. Ream the chamber a bit deeper. Same distance- ~0.02. I see a 5.56 finishing reamer for $100 $200. If this method worked, I might use it in subsequent Galil builds. Leaning towards this option, if I fuck up the barrel, whatever the barrel was cheap.
3. Wait for a virgin barrel to appear and pay $500 for it.

Not trying to do a restoration, just a shooter.

Input appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a shim.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use a shim.
View Quote

Shimming would clock the existing cuts in the wrong orientation.
...And problem solved overnight, found a virgin IMI AR barrel for $425 shipped.
This old '75 Hebrew-marked barrel will eventually find a home in another build.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
is the bolt fully seated/polished into the rec?
I usually get .001-.005 rearward movement when I polish the bolt in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shimming would clock the existing cuts in the wrong orientation.
View Quote

Ah, I saw that the barrel started at 1 o'clock and assumed you meant it was over clocking (clock face while looking at the barrel from the muzzle end).
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
is the bolt fully seated/polished into the rec?
I usually get .001-.005 rearward movement when I polish the bolt in.
View Quote

I was considering just working it with lapping compound to get there.
Fits right in with a snap cap perfect, live round is tight-ish. GO is too tight- but oh so close. NOGO is too tight.

New IMI virgin barrel inbound, so this barrel can maybe find a better-fitting receiver.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Ah, I saw that the barrel started at 1 o'clock and assumed you meant it was over clocking (clock face while looking at the barrel from the muzzle end).
View Quote

Yeah sorry, everything is relative. Looking at the chamber-end.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Issue was resolved by finding a virgin 18" chrome-lined 1:7 barrel and stashing the old one for another day!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Issue was resolved by finding a virgin 18" chrome-lined 1:7 barrel and stashing the old one for another day!
View Quote

Any more where that came from?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If you got a take off surplus barrel to hand tighten at 11 and you are .002 tight...you just hit a home run...lap it in and enjoy...
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any more where that came from?
View Quote

It was a freak occurrence on Calguns. A user had been trying to sell it for years with no takers.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top