Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2021 7:58:50 AM EDT
I'm interested in a Galil ACE 7.62x39 Gen II, but in looking on the IWI website, it shows that the weight has grown more than a pound from Gen I to Gen II.  Is this accurate?  I sent an email to IWI asking for clarification on May 20th, but never received a reply.

Here's what is on the IWI website:

Galil ACE GEN I Rifle (7.62x39, 16" Barrel) - 7.5 lbs without Magazine
Galil ACE GEN II Rifle (7.62x39, 16" Barrel) - 8 lbs 12.6 oz without Magazine

Galil ACE GEN I Pistol w/ Stabilizing Brace (7.62x39, 8.3" Barrel) - 6 lbs without Magazine
Galil ACE GEN II Pistol w/ Stabilizing Brace (7.62x39, 8.3" Barrel) - 7 lbs 4.9 oz without Magazine
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
the gen 1 pistol with brace is about what they are stating the gen 2 is.. my gen 1 7.62x39  is 112 oz or 7 lbs with mods
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I just weighed by Gen 2 8" 7.62 and on my scale it is 6lb 15.7oz with a few of those plastic BCM mlok panels and a SLR handstop so let's say 6lb 15oz naked

The magazine they ship with it weighs 6.6oz so I suspect their page incorrectly states that the weight is without a magazine when it actually includes one.

Not sure where the extra lb of weight is. Gen 1 handguard was plastic right? Wasn't the brace more plastic too?

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the inputs!  So it looks like IWI stated the weight as too low for the Gen I, and too high for the Gen II.  Based on the inputs above, it looks like the Galil ACE 7.62x39 Pistol with stabilizing brace is around 7 lbs without magazine, for both Gen I and Gen II.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Some proof as it were.

It's a cheap $20 scale so it's probably not super accurate.

Has this handstop on it which is less than an oz:
https://slrrifleworks.com/m-lok-handstop-mod2-barricade/

I suspect the different brace mechanism and hand guard account for the weight increase. If you put a different brace on it or SBR it and put a different stock on it you could probably cut some of that weight off it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have a measured weight for a Galil ACE Rifle (7.62x39, 16" Barrel), for either Gen I or Gen II?
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone have a measured weight for a Galil ACE Rifle (7.62x39, 16" Barrel), for either Gen I or Gen II?
View Quote

I never put my Galil on a scale but I can say it feel's somewhat lighter than my Zastava M70 ZPAP.  The ACE, ZPAP and the SAM7 are all in the sane weight class. If you want something light don't get any of them.

" />
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top