Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/10/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
Shot a Galil ACE in 556 at our local rifle match Saturday and have a few observations:

1) This rifle fits me. It doesn't feel like a 8lb (loaded) rifle when shouldered and shooting.
2) Ergonomics are great. All of the controls are easily reachable, if you're right handed like me.
3) Had 1 stoppage (FTEject) during the match out of about 120 rounds fired. If this keeps up I will be sending it back for warranty repair.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. During zeroing before the match I was getting groups in the 2MOA range with 55gr ammo. I tried some SS109 and 75gr OTM too but it was too windy for me to make any general statements about accuracy.

That said, here are the pics. The rifle has about 500 rounds on it at this point.

Bolt hold open detail

Detail of FCG and BHO

Bolt face

Chamber and gas tube detail

Detail of handguard hanger

Detail of left side safety connection and stock knuckle attachment to receiver

Detail of wobble plate interior

AJ
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#1]
any chance of some pictures with the plastic lower off i want to see if i can take one back to galil mags
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any chance of some pictures with the plastic lower off i want to see if i can take one back to galil mags
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It can be done: www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?190278-IWI-Galil-ACE-7-62-NATO/page4

AJ
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
On another board there were close up pictured of the BHO.  It looked like there were 4 rivets in the location where a traditional mag catch would be located, so that is encouraging.

OP can you take some close ups of the inside at the back of the mag well to confirm the 4 rivets are there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If a company starts converting these into Galil rifles, similar to a Saiga conversion into an AK, I'll be all over a 5.56mm AR Model.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On another board there were close up pictured of the BHO.  It looked like there were 4 rivets in the location where a traditional mag catch would be located, so that is encouraging.

OP can you take some close ups of the inside at the back of the mag well to confirm the 4 rivets are there?
View Quote
I peeked inside today. There are 4 rivet heads inside the receiver where they would be on a standard AK build.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I peeked inside today. There are 4 rivet heads inside the receiver where they would be on a standard AK build.

AJ
View Quote
That is good news!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
How about relief in front of receiver where galil mags would rock into place?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about relief in front of receiver where galil mags would rock into place?
View Quote
There is a space under the bullet guide where Galil mags could lock in, by eyeball I'd say there is a chance it would work w/o modification.

To really check I'd have to remove the plastic receiver cover and buy a Galil mag, which I'm not doing.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't it a bit ironic that some of us want to convert this tacticool Galil into a retro Galil, which is what this rifle is trying desperately NOT to look like. "If only" IWI would just sell us an original Galil AR and ARM, without all of the tacticool "improvements".
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isn't it a bit ironic that some of us want to convert this tacticool Galil into a retro Galil, which is what this rifle is trying desperately NOT to look like. "If only" IWI would just sell us an original Galil AR and ARM, without all of the tacticool "improvements".
View Quote
hear! hear!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn't say I want to turn the gun into a classic, but I would like it to take the classic galil's magazines like the rifles touted around the world:

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just fine with the poly lower and the ability to use the vast supply of ar mags I have. Personally I like the fact with the exception of the FCG and US mags every else is 100% Israeli made. If you convert it to use the old IMI556 mags you have to change out 3 other Israeli parts to keep it 922r compliant if you care about such things.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I took my 5.56 ACE pistol apart the other night with the intention of converting it to use original 5.56 Galil magazines. On the left and right sides of the interior of the magazine well is a raised vertical rib that prevents inserting an original Galil magazine. These two ribs will need to be milled down flush.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I took my 5.56 ACE pistol apart the other night with the intention of converting it to use original 5.56 Galil magazines. On the left and right sides of the interior of the magazine well is a raised vertical rib that prevents inserting an original Galil magazine. These two ribs will need to be milled down flush.
View Quote
That is disappointing.  Did you grab any pics?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll try to get some pics later to illustrate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for the wait guys. I've been busy. Here are some pics. First up are my Galil ACE pistol. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Next are a couple shots from a South African R5. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
One more from the R5. I would have grabbed some shots of my semi IMI receiver, but it's at the shop being rebarreled at the moment. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice rifle............I'd love to have the pistol with the brace they are selling at Atlantic Firearms
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I want to turn the gun into a classic, but I would like it to take the classic galil's magazines like the rifles touted around the world:

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/as111/galil_ace_556.jpg
View Quote
I know this post is old but is there any way to order just the bottom plastic portion to the short rifle/pistol that will accept galil mags shown in the top picture? I just purchased one and would like it to look like it...
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm just fine with the poly lower and the ability to use the vast supply of ar mags I have. Personally I like the fact with the exception of the FCG and US mags every else is 100% Israeli made. If you convert it to use the old IMI556 mags you have to change out 3 other Israeli parts to keep it 922r compliant if you care about such things.
View Quote
Exactly! I’d leave the ACE as-is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I noticed that my 20rd Colt USGI mags are the only ones that don't lock into the ACE magwell.

Everything else works fine (PMags, 30rd USGI, Lancer, etc)

Anyone else try this?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I noticed that my 20rd Colt USGI mags are the only ones that don't lock into the ACE magwell.

Everything else works fine (PMags, 30rd USGI, Lancer, etc)

Anyone else try this?
View Quote
I’ve had a similar problem with my ACE and 20 round mags. My mags are ASC if I remember correctly.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Gotcha.

Another random question, I manually cycled a few rounds and the bullet tip is pretty deformed after extraction - some of the cartridges are even coming out bent/damaged to the point of being unusable. Do you think this is from manual ejection, or is something impacting the feed ramp on the way into the chamber?

Gun feeds fine when shooting, for what its worth. I know the Galil has a fairly violent ejection process, so I figure its something to do with ejecting a live round..

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gotcha.

Another random question, I manually cycled a few rounds and the bullet tip is pretty deformed after extraction - some of the cartridges are even coming out bent/damaged to the point of being unusable. Do you think this is from manual ejection, or is something impacting the feed ramp on the way into the chamber?

Gun feeds fine when shooting, for what its worth. I know the Galil has a fairly violent ejection process, so I figure its something to do with ejecting a live round..

Thoughts?
View Quote
I usually shoot FMJs and some plastic tipped JHPs and I’ve never noticed any problems with deformed bullets when ejecting after not firing.

For deformed bullets I’d suspect they are getting dinged up on loading and not ejection. Try manually cycling some rounds (either dummies or with the muzzle pointed at some that will stop a bullet) with the dust cover and recoil spring removed. You should see if the cartridges are getting hung up on loading. AJ
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Just paid $1599 for ACE AK 16-inch from my local dealer, picking up next week.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#27]
What about the galil pistol 556? Any durability or function issues???
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn’t expect any but the dwell time is pretty short. A booster would fix that if it became a problem.

The pistol sized ACE is pretty close to the micro Galil so IWI has some experience with the basic setup.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have about 500 rounds through my ACE 556 SBR without issues. I get a baseball sized grouping at 50y, smaller with a red dot, probably would be better but for my eyes...

I like it a lot. I SBR'd it an installed an Ace (the brand, not the rifle) skeleton stock. Sweet little shooter, but very blasty/loud.

Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top